Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the track this afternoon to log all of my inputs with my new innovate wideband O2. Traction sucked...1.72 60' times.:( Anyway, netted a [email protected] trying to hit 5th gear and missing it.:mad:

I have attached a pic of my log, but not really sure how well you can see it. I had to make it so small to meet the limitations of what this website wants. If you can't see it just for reference....the pink is a/f ratio and the line that is highlighting everything is sitting on 10.85:1. Black is RPM and green is throttle position. The blue is supposed to be pressure, but it doesn't work totally accurate yet.
At the left a/f starts at 8:1, the goes up....10:1, 12:1, 14:1, etc.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Congrats on the time. Your AF seems alright, pretty stable once you are at WOT. You had a lot of throttle modulation at the beginning!

-Olivier

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Olivier Caza said:
Congrats on the time. Your AF seems alright, pretty stable once you are at WOT. You had a lot of throttle modulation at the beginning!

-Olivier
The throttle position is green...it is stable, but I was on the 2 step...so that was why the a/f was going up and down a lot at first before I took off. The a/f is at 10.8-10.9:1 most of the time and in the top part of 4th the leanest it gets is 11.15:1.

What is the leanest I should go...this is on the street of course not the dyno. Isn't the a/f ratio off like .5 from the dyno to the street...that is what I hear anyway.

Thanks

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
The throttle position is green...it is stable, but I was on the 2 step...so that was why the a/f was going up and down a lot at first before I took off. The a/f is at 10.8-10.9:1 most of the time and in the top part of 4th the leanest it gets is 11.15:1.

What is the leanest I should go...this is on the street of course not the dyno. Isn't the a/f ratio off like .5 from the dyno to the street...that is what I hear anyway.

Thanks
My bad. I had misidentified some curves. From what I've heard, it is always .5 leaner on the street compared to a dyno because of the higher load put on the engine. Your AF ratio is very conservative and safe. You should be able to keep the engine together that way!! :D How much boost were you running anyways?

-Olivier

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Olivier Caza said:
My bad. I had misidentified some curves. From what I've heard, it is always .5 leaner on the street compared to a dyno because of the higher load put on the engine. Your AF ratio is very conservative and safe. You should be able to keep the engine together that way!! :D How much boost were you running anyways?

-Olivier
I can see how it would be VERY easy to do with the little ass pic I put up on here.:)

27lbs

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Olivier Caza said:

-Olivier
What is the maximum "safe" range on the dyno? 11.5:1?

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
What is the maximum "safe" range on the dyno? 11.5:1?
I don't know if what I will bring up will do a good comparison or a good starting point, but I remember that Peter Blach's 900rwhp+ dyno pulls were always around 11.5:1 and Mike Carlin's runs were also in that kind of range. This was on their dyno runs. Most of the time, when a member posts some crazy high rwhp numbers, it's always around 11.5:1 AF ratio.

I also recall hearing from a lot of people that the 2JZ did not make a lot more horsepower over 12:1, so I guess it's not worth it leaning it and taking the chance of something going wrong for about 10 rwhp.

-Olivier

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Olivier Caza said:
I don't know if what I will bring up will do a good comparison or a good starting point, but I remember that Peter Blach's 900rwhp+ dyno pulls were always around 11.5:1 and Mike Carlin's runs were also in that kind of range. This was on their dyno runs. Most of the time, when a member posts some crazy high rwhp numbers, it's always around 11.5:1 AF ratio.

I also recall hearing from a lot of people that the 2JZ did not make a lot more horsepower over 12:1, so I guess it's not worth it leaning it and taking the chance of something going wrong for about 10 rwhp.

-Olivier
Hmmm...I wonder what kind of power to expect going from 10.8 or so to 11.5-11.8 on the street? I guess that would be 11.0-11.3 on the dyno.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know what it is with the boost voltage coming out of the ECU, but it is a little off right now as far as the widband reading it. I have to go in and get the wideband setup correctly to read it correctly.

The actual boost going by my boost gauge and my turbo timer was 27lbs.

Later

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
fullboostTT has hosted this for me:

woohoo i can actually see this now! tony this program looks good, pretty comprehensive. you might want to raise that A/F a bit or invest in a G-Force ECU to raise your rev limit to 8000+. i bet you can run 9s with some traction/more mph. your looking good though, i sure as hell can't run 10s!!! good luck with your next passes.

-Brett

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Hmmm...I wonder what kind of power to expect going from 10.8 or so to 11.5-11.8 on the street? I guess that would be 11.0-11.3 on the dyno.
I guess you could see some decent gains, as right now you are running pretty rich, safe but rich. That graph that you posted in bigger size is nice. Your AF ratio is very stable. If you dyno, you should definately do it in 4th gear, like everybody else with a 6sp.

As neonafk suggested, a raised redline would really help you in the 1/4. Are you considering an AEM soon or do you want to stay with piggybacks?

-Olivier

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Olivier Caza said:
I guess you could see some decent gains, as right now you are running pretty rich, safe but rich. That graph that you posted in bigger size is nice. Your AF ratio is very stable. If you dyno, you should definately do it in 4th gear, like everybody else with a 6sp.

As neonafk suggested, a raised redline would really help you in the 1/4. Are you considering an AEM soon or do you want to stay with piggybacks?

-Olivier
I wanted to stay with the piggybacks really. The AEM would be an easy way to raise it though wouldn't it...as well as a LOT of other things.:)

Oh yea...had another question. How would say 116 octane compare to 110 octane? Would it allow less timing to be pulled, etc? I am running 110 octane that we here in KC can get right out of a pump anytime we want...it is a "pay at the pump"...you can get 100 and 110. The 110 cost only $3.85/gallon....but I don't know if it is limiting my performance either.

Thanks for the replies.

·
AWESOME AMAZING MEMBER
589 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Went to the track this afternoon to log all of my inputs with my new innovate wideband O2. Traction sucked...1.72 60' times.:( Anyway, netted a [email protected] trying to hit 5th gear and missing it.:mad:

I have attached a pic of my log, but not really sure how well you can see it. I had to make it so small to meet the limitations of what this website wants. If you can't see it just for reference....the pink is a/f ratio and the line that is highlighting everything is sitting on 10.85:1. Black is RPM and green is throttle position. The blue is supposed to be pressure, but it doesn't work totally accurate yet.
At the left a/f starts at 8:1, the goes up....10:1, 12:1, 14:1, etc.

Let me know what you guys think.
AWESOME!!!!

Isn't 11.5-1 too rich?

Congrats on the time!!!

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
neonafk said:
woohoo i can actually see this now! tony this program looks good, pretty comprehensive. you might want to raise that A/F a bit or invest in a G-Force ECU to raise your rev limit to 8000+. i bet you can run 9s with some traction/more mph. your looking good though, i sure as hell can't run 10s!!! good luck with your next passes.

-Brett
I am sure that I will have to do something about my rev limiter because I had to shift to 5th on that pass....should I say I was "supposed" to shift to 5th on that pass.;) I would really like to stay in 4th gear and I am going to have to raise it. I guess I better start looking for a G-force or something.

Later

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
I wanted to stay with the piggybacks really. The AEM would be an easy way to raise it though wouldn't it...as well as a LOT of other things.:)

Oh yea...had another question. How would say 116 octane compare to 110 octane? Would it allow less timing to be pulled, etc? I am running 110 octane that we here in KC can get right out of a pump anytime we want...it is a "pay at the pump"...you can get 100 and 110. The 110 cost only $3.85/gallon....but I don't know if it is limiting my performance either.

Thanks for the replies.
I guess the piggybacks are the best way for "set-and-forget" style. The AEM is a bit more of an advanture, but once it's tuned to the max, it can really reveal itself to be a unique tuning platform.

110 octane should be fine for 27 psi, IIRC. Here is a great thread about the subject.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138717&highlight=AZMongoose

-Olivier

1 - 20 of 24 Posts