Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Results of using cheap eBay HG (Apex brand) and 20psi daily for 8 months. I saw small temperature spikes on my GReddy gauge a few months before the stock gauge started to react to the temp spikes. The car was running just fine, it would just lose about a gallon of coolant every 150-200 miles.

·
Registered
222 Posts
so you ran 20 psi on a non-mhg??? cool!! i have a new toyota hg and 72 lbs on torque with arp can i run 15 psi with no problem??? thanks!!

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really couldn't care less that the HG blew :) I consider it a learning experience, besides it only costs 4-5 hours and $50 to put a OE HG back in.

Yes, 20psi everyday. Ask anyone who's been around me, I don't baby the car around. Apex HG and stock reused head bolts. ARP's and OE HG are going in this time, we'll see how long that combo lasts me :) I ran my original HG retorqued to 70ft/lbs at 12-23psi for over a year and the HG never blew.

·
Registered
222 Posts
where do you go where you pay only 50 buck to do the hg?? im scared of boostin cause i have to do my own work and its a bitch!!!!!

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, pump gas. I never run race gas.

I know the stock HG can hold the power, it's just a matter of tuning and prep work (clean surfaces, ARP bolts, 70+ft/lbs).

I do all my own work. The stock HG costs me $50.

·
Registered
222 Posts
well maybe its cause my car is my only transportation... but i just did the head gasket . when im on the freeway and i get on it or even i dont have to get on it ... it heats up above the middle and when i pull over my turbo is really bright!! do you know any of this?? or what would cause this?? thanks!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
yah i took my cat off and looked inside and it was all wavy looked clogged!! i need a dp bad!! i got another stock dp but havent put it on,.

·
Registered
222 Posts
thanks mufasa i mean simba lol j/k and bishop for the info!! im gonna gutt the cat since i have a spare one in the meentime just until i get a down pipe if you guys know where i can get one for cheap let me know thanks!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress.
4-5 hrs to replace the gasket, damm the first time i pulled my head it took like 5 or 6 weekends!
second time it took two days
I see I have a way to go to get it down to numbers like yours!!

Will you be doing any other work while everything is apart?

Steve

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.