Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the begining i was deciding between the soundperformance kit with their new lineup of turbos or the boostlogic kit. well i decided to go ahead and go with BL, and what started out as just an upgraded tranny purchase endedup being a full blown single with fuel purchase.

I went to austin for business, and decided to meet up with the crew at boostlogic on my off time. i will say that kean and zohair are standup guys. they gave me a tour, let me hang out with them and introduced me to many of the big names in the community.

the overall kit was a very high quality kit with a nice fit and finish. It took a while to get all the parts in, mainly the polishing of the turbo housing, which took alot longer than expected, but all in all i was very satisfied with the purchase

However, IM STILL MISSING MY ABS HEAT SHIELD!!!!! ;) please say you guys didnt forget about that....

anyhow, for you guys who are still on stock twins, going single and having a wastegate that vents to atmosphere is a very sweet feeling. talk about scaring the shit outta ppl when it opens up, then letting the hks bov discharge, puts a smile on my face everytime. The bov sound is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I actually grew tired of the high pitched earpierceing sound it made with the stock twins. I thought about getting a different BOV, however with the new sound, i think i'll stick with my hks ssq for a little while longer, i guess we all have a little ricer in us. As for the turbo, boost builds very quick, id say very identical to stock twins in ttc, maybe a hair faster however i havent really boosted much since im lacking a laptop that can tune my mapecu.
In addition to the kit, i decided to ditch my apexi gtspec and wanted to keep the 4inches going all the way out back with a BL exhaust. For you ppl who dont like loud exhausts, i dont recommend this exhaust, however those of you who want their presence known when coming down the street, then THIS IS THE EXHAUST for you. After hearing peter b's car i had to have that same sound. It has a mellow, yet pissed off sound, thats the best i can describe it.

The transmission shifts are firm and quick, sometimes it has a little jolt when putting in reverse, but im not really worried about that. I didnt want too high of a stall for various reasons, heat, driveability etc. after discussing with TTbomb about converter options, i went with a protorque unit. TTbomb was running a 3400 Protorque and managed a mid10 qtr with a 1.6 60 ft using the same setup i had. Since another forum member had a protorque 3500 stall for sale i decided to pick it up. the car drives almost like stock. You really cant tell a difference with the new stall, the rpms spin a little higher which allows me to build some boost quicker. Hopefully with the slightly lower stall than what bl offers it will do a better job of keeping the fluid temps in check. i briefly stalled the car up to see how high it would spin up, and it reached 3k rpms pretty quick so i decided to let off. i think it probably had a few more hundred rpms in her, probably capable of stalling up to 3200 to 3300 max. Obviously the key to running good times is a good 60 ft. Purchasing the lowest stall possible that would still allow for 1.6 60fts is something im hoping to accomplish with the protorque unit.

Its still untuned, and ive got a little fuel leak ive got to fix, but in a few weeks, hopefully i can lay down around 630 at the wheels with the converter unlocked and 2bar with c16. My goal is to run mid 10's at ~135 and run a low 10 with a 50shot then get booted for not having a rollcage. = )

My only real complaint was i wish the fuel lines were precut with the fittings already put on. this would make the install SOO much easier. cutting steel braided hoses SUCKS!!! however, with every setup slightly different from eachother, i guess its best to leave the line uncut so ppl can customize the install anyway they want. Also the brackets supplied for the fuel rail did not fit right.
Thanks to Tommy and kareem at autobanh for helping me out with the extra parts they had laying around and help with the fuel install.

in brief here is how my setup is as follows:

BL 67ptrim .68 stage 2
4in mp/dp
BL 4in exh
BL fuel 75lb injectors (with a polished titan fuel rail???)
dual walbros
BL built tranny
protorque 3500 rpm stall cooled with a bm tranny cooler.
map ecu
greddy 3row
plx wb kit with guage display.

sorry for the long post, but i wanted to decribe in as much detail as possible of how this thing drives.
kev

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Nice write up............I too had a good time dealing with Kean and Zohair and Chris...........they really are all standup guys and even though I haven't bought anything form them in a year............I still call them time to time to get advice on certain things and they always try to help..........awesome service!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Thanks for the great write up.

I plan on getting the BL Stage 2 kit by next winter and I look forward to dealing with Boost logic and Kean.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no numbers as of yet. i dont have a boost controller so im stuck running wg boost, did i mention how badass the wastegate sounds ;), which is 1 bar according to my gauge. but right now, on pump and 1-1.1 bar in the upper gears, it pulls only slightly harder than my bpu at 18-20 lbs.
btw mpg is around 15.75, i think with a few more tweaks, i can probably see about 16mpg. this is with me getting on it from time to time.
kev

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
sounds good
i am currently talking to zohair about a turbo kit. I think i would be getting the p61? with a 4" all the way.
I plan on late summer so i'lllet you guys know

1 - 6 of 6 Posts