Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finally got my (cross drilled/slotted)rotors in today......(Got new ones because when I took my car to a local shop to get brake pads changed couple weeks ago, they said my rotors are way too thin and is really dangerous to be driving around.. plus it was squeaking)... anyways, after I got the rotors, took it to my friend's shop.. put it on.. took it around for a test drive.. and after I got back.. my brakes were somking from all four corners..=( (Back was barely noticable but the front was smoking ALOT)... Upon inspection, neither my friend or his manager could really figure out of what was wrong either, but they think that the previous shop that changed my brake pads for me used some cheapo brake pads.. that's why it's smoking(freaggin thing was 150 for labor and 150 for pads.. =()... anywayz.. have you guys ever experianced the same problem as this? Now what's wrong? Somebody please help me out! =( and btw... what pads would you guys recommend for my rotors? would Toytoa OEM ones be sufficient? thanks a lot..........

·
Registered
459 Posts
$150 parts + $150 labor?!

$150 parts and $150 labor to replace brake pads is absolutely ridiulous. You got screwed. Brand new Toyota pads are maybe a little over $100 for front and rear and a novice like myself can replace the pads in less than an hour (doing it the first time). My advice would be to get some OEM brake pads and install them yourself (or have a friend help). Brake pads are extremely simple to replace, especially on our cars. Just make sure to use some anti-squeak compound on the back of the pads. In the future you might want to pick up a shop manual and try doing the little things yourself if you're comfortable with it.

Scott

Y

·
0 Posts
Sorry about your pads and rotors. If you don't want stock, which are not too bad (my stock rotors are still good after 210K miles) you might try some kevlar pads and slotted rotors on the front There is not enough breaking pressure in the back to make anything esoteric worth the cost, unless you are aiming for the 100MPH to 0 world record. The slotted rotors are $115 and good pads are about $65 a pair from http://www.suprasport.com/. Try http://www.suprastore.com/index.html also.

Whatever you do, get the anit-squeal shim kit from a Toyota dealer. About $15. The anti-seqeal grease is worthless after a month: the shims will outlast the pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts