Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About three years ago, I bought a 1994 Toyota supra tt auto. It had a t61 dbb turbo, turbonetics manifold, 860cc injectors, map-ecu and hks intank fuel pump. After about a year, I wanted to buy a bigger turbo. I saw a turbonetics super t76 BNIB straight from turbonetics at such a good deal that I could not pass it up. Because of the new turbo, I had to get a new manifold. I purchased and installed a brand new greddy manifold and wastgate I found on SF. The turbo still did not fit, so I had to get a 2 3/8" spacer made.

I then had to get a 4" DP/MP. I got a true 4" DP/MP, oil feed and return line kit, and turbo blanket from Boost Logic. When I attempted to install the oil return/feed line kit, it did not fit with the DP/MP. I had to reuse my old feed line and make a custom return line. I modified the DP/MP by extending the DP 3" after the 45-degree bend and shortening the MP 4" to make it work. I also made a 3" intercooler piping upgrade to the hot side.

I finally got it started, let it idle for a few minutes, and revved it to about 6000 rpm. The crank pulley came apart and spun off. I installed a new crank pulley and new coil pack clips from Toyota. Also, I have a greddy type c wastegate and blitz boost controller. I hooked all the lines back up the same way the old setup was installed. After these mods, no matter what setting I put the boost controller on, it will only boost to 18-19 psi. I can set the boost controller to 7psi and it will hold there for about 2-3 seconds, but then it jumps to 18-19psi and begins flashing red. Any advice?

·
Engmaineer
2,408 Posts
paragraphs are your friend. I got dizzy trying to read that . .

2 things. If your trying to make big power, get rid of that toyota crank pulley. get an ati or fluidampr. The stock 2 piece is known for separating
on high hp cars.

You say your boost controller is not working?
I would check to see if the vac lines are hooked up right. You should have a vac source , go to the the boost controller, then from there to the top side of the gate.
Sounds like you have just a vac source going to the top side of the gate, and its going off spring value only.

Regarding the turbo setup. You said you bought a greddy t88 kit. Did you use that super t76 on that manifold or did you use the t88 included in the kit?
Sounds like you did something wrong, because if you used the greddy turbo on the greddy kit you shouldn't have needed a spacer. The spacer will make
hook clearance, downpipe clearance, oil line lenghts, all wrong. Instead of trying to modify the kit, you should have sorted out that problem. Once you modified the kit you opened yourself up to a ton more issues.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Live and learn hu wheels? Shops like SP and Boost Logic have already complete kits that just all both on.. ;)

Ok what Boost controller is it? How is it not working? Does not raise boost, boost is too high, will not turn on???

Ron

·
2j GT4294 stickersadd20hp
1,594 Posts
you could also take a video of the problems your haveing with ? that helps even more.... GL

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blitz controller It reads my vac & psi. Its just not allowing me to adjust the psi.
It's just running off the spring rate. Which I beleive is 17. I'm thinking maybe the vac lines. My question is do you have to use a light spring for the controller to work
or adjust the heavier spring to get it to work?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
so there should be NO OPEN HOLES on ur wastegate, if there are two holes ....one goes to bc and the other one would get plugged

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Can't really understand your run on sentences but you cannot go under the wastegate spring boost level. You might have to change the w/g spring to something smaller if thats what you are trying to do.. if not then you have something hooked up wrong.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the sentences! I was really tired when I started writing. Yea I know it's something simple that I am over looking. Thanks for your help and support!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still the same problem.I checked every thing and its all hooked up right.I just can't go below or above 18-19psi.I can set me boost controller for 7psi.And right when it hits boost it will go to and hold at 7psi for about 2-3 seconds.And then it will jump to 18-19psi and my boost controller starts flashing red letting me know that it has gone past my set limit.Anyone i cant figure out why.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Take the time to edit and re-word your first post and will make people more likely to read the whole thing.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Man, seriously. Lets see if you dont skip the answer again.
IF YOU HAVE A 17PSI SPRING IN YOUR WASTEGATE, ASSIDE FROM A BOOST LEAK YOU CAN NOT MAKE UNDER 17PSI.
Sorry if that seems brash but like 3 other people have allready said it. PUT IN A LOWER SPRING

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK that seems pretty straight forward.I know thats the prob now.Since you just told me thats the problem.Every one else was like try a lower spring.I wanted a definite answer.THANKS

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK that seems pretty straight forward.I know thats the prob now.Since you just told me thats the problem.Every one else was like try a lower spring.I wanted a definite answer.THANKS

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Also post in the local Florida forums. Alot of people down here probally willing to give a hand.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
Still the same problem.I checked every thing and its all hooked up right.I just can't go below or above 18-19psi.I can set me boost controller for 7psi.And right when it hits boost it will go to and hold at 7psi for about 2-3 seconds.And then it will jump to 18-19psi and my boost controller starts flashing red letting me know that it has gone past my set limit.Anyone i cant figure out why.
If you can't go above 18-19 psi, here is what I would do. Just a general warning, you are basically making sure your wastegate never opens, and this could blow your motor if you overboost.

Disconnect your turbo pressure source from the wastegate, and then take it for a test drive. Without the line connected, the wastegate will never open, and you should theoretically boost higher than 18-19 psi, assuming you don't have other problems.

I would put some higher octane gas in there, and give this test a shot.

Also, you cannot run a boost pressure lower than your spring pressure. That's not how a wastegate is supposed to function. But, at the same time, your boost controller should allow you to run more boost than before, and it doesn't seem to be working.

Have you checked the car for any boost leaks/Vac Leaks?

·
Racing is Life.
1,083 Posts
Seriously inspect each individual intercooler hose connector AND hose for leaks. That was my problem. I did a small job and during it accidently ripped one of the couplers and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get more than 20PSI. Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had that problem before. I cant get no more or no less, unless i let off the throttle early.But i am going to change out my wastegate spring and see if that works.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts