Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- 20K mile block honed and decked (not bored)
- original rods/pistons w/ new oem rings
- oem HG
- arp rod bolts, main studs, and head studs
- ACL bearings
- head is all stock, will be surfaced and will have new valve stem seals installed

I'm still looking for the best price on an oil pump. What do you guys think about the ones on ebay?

Also, the pistons have small nicks on the skirts from bumping around in a box. Could this potentially damage the cylinder walls? Is there some way to polish these out without changing the size on the piston too much?

Other than resizing the rods and honing the mains after installing the new ARP hardware, what other machinework should be done?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but for now, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
You may as well have everything balanced while it's apart. I assume you've had stuff magnafluxed to check for cracks and whatnot. Ask your machine shop about the nicks on the piston skirts; if they're not too bad I'd either just leave them or smooth them with some emory paper.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Use crocus cloth for the scratches. I have a 7m apart now that I'm fooling around with. I weighed each piston rod assy on a digital gram scale. All 6 were exactly 1260 grams each. To me thats preety good factory balance if you're not planning to spin her past factory redline.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
why spend all that money and only put the OEM headgasket back on?
thats what I was wondering. Now is the time to do the mhg because it can be done correctly.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
yeah it will hold but why leave room for any error? mhg will likely solve a lot of possible cooling issues down the road.

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cnewingham said:
yeah it will hold but why leave room for any error? mhg will likely solve a lot of possible cooling issues down the road.
I never knew that...

Thanks guys, but I was looking over the car before getting ready to pull the motor, and for shits and giggles, started it... No knocking... But I did notice that one of my motor mounts was bad, and apparently thats been making the noise all along... So now I have plenty of time to build my new block right with forged goodies. :)

Thanks,
Collin

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
So it doesn't have rod knock? Cool! If you don't plan to use that OEM headgasket, PM "isnms" on supramania; he wants it.

Want to buy my car instead? It will be for sale this month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts