Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read the whole thing, if your going to comment.

Im installing my built trans, converter, cooler, and temp guage, this weekend. Its a unit that I bought from a member, here.

The transmission was rebuilt by a reputable mechanic, with new banner kit, filter, kolene steels, pump bushing, and the valve body was overhauled.

The converter is a Precision, with a 3800rpm stall. The cooler is a b&m bar and plate 7.25 x 11 x 1 1/2" with a 7.5" spal fan.

So, are there any tips to pulling, or reinstalling the tranny, that I should know about? Ive changed/pulled transmissions in several other cars, ...but maybe theres a good tip, or trick, for this one?

Also, Do I use the factory cooler in conjunction with the new one? Or bypass it? If I use the factory cooler, whats best to use to flush it? I was thinking a little hand pump, from harbor freight?

And finally, the most important question.... When this transmission was being built, the owner was asked if he wanted it to shift soft like stock, or shift firmer through the gears. He chose soft. I THINK I want firmer.

Should I shim the accumulators, before I install the tranny, while its easy? Should I do it, at all? Seems like this might make the clutches last longer, since they would slip less, right?

·
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No answers? I thought a few of you have built transmissions.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am running a PRE Racing tranny, with a 4000 PI convertor rebuilt by a local shop. He done away with the clutches in it and done some other misc things. PI is junk. I also run 2 coolers both with fans and an inline filter. I have a temp gauge as well. As far as pulling the tranny the best tip is to get a 4-5 of extensions so you can get to the bolts. Its not that bad though.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
To add,
I've seen the stock cooler increase my trans temps but it does make them more stable. At any rate, put the aftermarket cooler after the stock one if you decide to run them both. For flushing, they sell cans of compressed trans cooler cleaner at most auto shops. I've used it to flush backwards through my coolers -in my mind thats more likely to get the junk out if there's anything in there.

I would hold off on the accumulator shimming - get the trans in and make sure it working properly first. Then see how you like it -shimming isn't too hard and can be done with the trans in the car.

BPUaintenuff,
How the PRE trans? I may pick up another one since I'm moving out to New Mexico (right down the street from Ben's shop).

·
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Do you guys know which line is which, coming from the trans?

And, why is PI junk?

·
Registered
927 Posts
To add,
I've seen the stock cooler increase my trans temps but it does make them more stable. At any rate, put the aftermarket cooler after the stock one if you decide to run them both. For flushing, they sell cans of compressed trans cooler cleaner at most auto shops. I've used it to flush backwards through my coolers -in my mind thats more likely to get the junk out if there's anything in there.

I would hold off on the accumulator shimming - get the trans in and make sure it working properly first. Then see how you like it -shimming isn't too hard and can be done with the trans in the car.

BPUaintenuff,
How the PRE trans? I may pick up another one since I'm moving out to New Mexico (right down the street from Ben's shop).
I like it so far, feels real solid although I haven't drivien it much. The car has been down for quite some time just taking my time doing some other mods. Thanks for asking.

Thanks. Do you guys know which line is which, coming from the trans?

And, why is PI junk?
I can't remeber off the top of my head. I can look for you if you can't find it. As far as PI its just my opinion, others have had better luck than I have but I know several members who had the convertor and it went out. I think its mainly the clutches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts