Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Car Inside And Sp Engineering On Cover Of Hpbooks' "street Turbocharging"

Remember the automotive classic "Turbochargers" by the late, great Hugh MacInnes? Many of us on SF cut our teeth on this book and Corky Bell's Maximum Boost. Well, HPBooks, the original publisher of "Turbochargers" retained Mark Warner, author, mechanical engineer, honored member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and holder of many patents, to update MacInnes' classic and the result of a lot of hard work is "Street Turbocharging: Design, Fabrication, Installation, and Tuning of High-Performance Turbocharger Systems".

Don't exactly know how he found SP Engineering, but contacting them led to Warner contacting me almost two years ago to participate in this project. I immediately accepted his invitation to have my car included in the book as one of several project vehicles. Our ongoing contact and consultations led to me volunteering, and Warner accepting, to review the lengthy drafts prior to submission to his editor and, ultimately, to HPBooks. In addition to Warner and myself, there were five other reviewers that contributed mightily to this effort as well.

The vaunted 2JZ-GTE receives great coverage in the book, probably more than any other motor, and the Toyota 3S-GTE receives good coverage as well. The infamous SP Engineering Supra-7, in first-generation guise, is on the front and rear covers of this glossy, high-quality stock, 202-page, 8 x 11 1/2 paperback. The largest of two photos on the rear cover of the book shows the 2JZ-GTE in all its glory and Chapter 13, entitled "Engine Components" contains seven pics of my engine block when SPE was building my stroker motor. Those of you having visted the SPE website will recognize most, if not all, of these pics. In the book, they are all black and white which adds an impressive amount of detail IMO.

Overall, there are 22 pics of my car, many of them detailed shots, in the book. It is one of 10 project vehicles summarized in the book. The others include a first-generation Toyota MR2, Datsun 510, Datsun 510 Rotary, Honda Civic DX (Full-Race), Ford Mustang GT, Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Dakota Diesel, a Suzuki Hayabusa (618 whp!!) and a RV6A airplane. In addition to SP Engineering, many other turbo industry stalwarts, such as Gale Banks Engineering, Full-Race, Turbonetics, HKS, GReddy, Honeywell Turbo Technologies (Garrett), Turbosmart, The Power Group, Aquamist, Design Engineering, Inc., and others are effectively represented throughout the book's 202 pages. This book will let the world know what we have known for some time......that the 2JZ-GTE has assumed its rightful place as one of the world's great motors along with the small-block Chevy and the Chrysler 426 Hemi among others, so I am EXTREMELY proud to have played a small role in this effort.

I believe Mark Warner's updating of Hugh MacInnes' "Turbochargers" will eventually be as well received as that classic. The book should be coming available at major book stores as you read this for about $19, and is immediately available on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1557884889/sr=8-10/qid=1141660222/ref=sr_1/102-5144000-9413705) for about $13 or so. So, add it to your collection, guys and gals. You won't be disappointed and you will see why the MKIV 2JZ-GTE's legend lives on and on and on.....

Ken.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Congratulations on this achievment Ken. Your time, efforts, and participation in the Supra community is a gift to us all. Wow, truly remarkable! It's always amazing to see the MKIV Supra yet, even several years after production, continue to make notable achievements on a larger scale. It's easy to say a Supra looks fast, but it's good to know the 2JZ-GTE recieves the proper recognition as to why. Overpriced Toyota??? Says who?!?! :)

-Vince

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes, I remember seeing this automotive book over the years.Congrats on getting your car into the revised edition.I know I'll be picking up a copy. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Nice accomplishment my man! Nothing stands the test of time longer than words on paper, congrats on being part of history! Cant wait to pick up my copy

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
Congrats. on this achievement Ken! I have both turbochargers and maximum boost and can't wait to add this new one to my collection :bigthumb:

John

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Congrats Ken. Could not happen to any better guy or organisation (SPE).

You've got mail. :)

-Olivier

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thats great news Ken, congrats. I remember talking with you about it some time ago, and am glad it has come to fruition.

Rest assured it will be added to my collection alongside its predecessor.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
what section in the book store would this be in? Im about to go get it and would rather not stay in that place longer than i have too... nothing but emo punks that piss me off, and its hard as hell to just bite my tongue...

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Well deserved Ken, congrats on making another publication. Your car will not only make its mark in Supra history but as well as the history of the automotive world. i also wanted to include that it was a pleasure caravaning to the FF3 meet. again, congrats :bigthumb:

·
Member Since 2000...
909 Posts
Congratulations Ken, couldn't happen to a better group of people. Thank you for the link, I just bought the book.
Preston

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congratulations Ken. I just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading through it all.

·
Inline for the win
4,770 Posts
Congrats on another accomplisment in the supra community!

Also, like Big Vic said,

Will you sign it if I send it to you?

DP

·
Boost Junkie
12,693 Posts
Congrats, I just ordered both of them!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys,

Thanks to all for the very kind words. I can tell you straight-up it was a labor of love and I knew the Supra community would really support and appreciate our favorite 6-holer getting the kind of love and recognition it so richly deserves. It was also truly fulfilling for me to work on a project that adds value, mystique and other intangibles to the each and every car owned by my Supra community pals, just a great opportunity of which I tried to take complete advantage. I think Slither said it best about the history-making aspects of it all.

I'll sign anybody's book......for free, of course. Working with Mark Warner on this project has been payment enough. You guys know I love these cars. I mean, I never imagined myself buying a second MKIV 6MT a bit more than 12 years after I purchased my first one but, as of tomorrow, she'll be on her way to Cali all the way from Florida. In any event, I want you guys to tell your friends, neighbors and extended family members to buy this book. No, I don't have a piece of action, but I would like to do whatever we can to repay Mark Warner for his effort and total commitment to the overall product. His objectiveness and open-mindedness is easy to see and the book is a fine display of import, domestic and other forms of force-inducted transportation.

Thanks again for all the kind words. They are much appreciated.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts