Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I haven't been able to get my car started for several weeks. Today I tried again to figure out what the hell was going on.

Here is what the car was doing. When turning the car over the injectors would put so much fuel into the cylinders that the plugs would get coated with fuel and wouldn't spark. The fuel smell was VERY strong. I'd pull the plugs, dry them off... stick them in the coil packs and ground the plugs. All the plugs fired.

I check the wiring to the VPC... all looked good. I tried to start again... same result. Change plugs... disconnect TPS sensor ... try to re-fire... same result. At this point I called Jarrett... :)

After a few other checks he told me to disconnect the stock MAP sensor... sure enough it fired right up. His thought is that the sensor if freaking out and may be giving the signal that there is high boost.. when the car is simply trying to start... hence all the damn fuel.

So... I think I may need a new MAP sensor... but it started. I drove it around for about 45 minutes with no problems... except for an intermittent stall at idle. I call Jarrett again... he says check all your grounds... I found one "tiny" ground which may be causing the problem. You know the Neg. battery terminal... it wasn't even finger tight. I disconnected the terminal when I was recharging the battery after all the starting attempts and obviously forgot to retighten. So yes I'm a dumb-ass... but my car is running! I am happy!!!

Thanks Jarrett for spending all afternoon on the phone with one of your stupid customers! :D

Thanks to all who offered suggestions too...

Oh I forgot to add that while driving there was zero rubbing with the new wheel/tire combo. I am amazed at how the new rubber changed the feel of the car. Much more turn-in... Toyota should have put more rubber under this car from the factory.

So Yasir... go with the 18x11's! ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
As many of you know I haven't been able to get my car started for several weeks. Today I tried again to figure out what the hell was going on.

Here is what the car was doing. When turning the car over the injectors would put so much fuel into the cylinders that the plugs would get coated with fuel and wouldn't spark. The fuel smell was VERY strong. I'd pull the plugs, dry them off... stick them in the coil packs and ground the plugs. All the plugs fired.

I check the wiring to the VPC... all looked good. I tried to start again... same result. Change plugs... disconnect TPS sensor ... try to re-fire... same result. At this point I called Jarrett... :)

After a few other checks he told me to disconnect the stock MAP sensor... sure enough it fired right up. His thought is that the sensor if freaking out and may be giving the signal that there is high boost.. when the car is simply trying to start... hence all the damn fuel.

So... I think I may need a new MAP sensor... but it started. I drove it around for about 45 minutes with no problems... except for an intermittent stall at idle. I call Jarrett again... he says check all your grounds... I found one "tiny" ground which may be causing the problem. You know the Neg. battery terminal... it wasn't even finger tight. I disconnected the terminal when I was recharging the battery after all the starting attempts and obviously forgot to retighten. So yes I'm a dumb-ass... but my car is running! I am happy!!!

Thanks Jarrett for spending all afternoon on the phone with one of your stupid customers! :D

Thanks to all who offered suggestions too...

Oh I forgot to add that while driving there was zero rubbing with the new wheel/tire combo. I am amazed at how the new rubber changed the feel of the car. Much more turn-in... Toyota should have put more rubber under this car from the factory.

So Yasir... go with the 18x11's! ;)
Jim my body shop ordered the wheel today from Kinesis and i was going to send them the other wheel to make it 11" but i can tell you the space between the wheel and the fender lip is already so tight that i really don't think i can fit an 11" there :( I'm going to talk to Steve tomorrow to see what i can do about it but i think i'm gonna leave it as it is :mad:Glad that your 11" don't rub.
Yasir

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nils said:
congrats Jim....

now get your ass to the dyno!

nils
WIll do! ;)

Wei...

I'm glad to hear your car is getting taken care of too. It's about time we had all the local Supras operational!

M

·
0 Posts
Happy to hear.....

that you finally got your car running and it wasn't anything too costly.....

Good job, the only way I know of truly loosing is giving up.....:D

Melvin

you might not remember me but I offered my assistance (the part) and you phoned me from some place you and your family were having breakfast to say thanks that Jarrett had sent you one.....:) Glad you and Jarrett solved it.

AWESOME

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Happy to hear.....

mello2 said:
that you finally got your car running and it wasn't anything too costly.....

Good job, the only way I know of truly loosing is giving up.....:D

Melvin

you might not remember me but I offered my assistance (the part) and you phoned me from some place you and your family were having breakfast to say thanks that Jarrett had sent you one.....:) Glad you and Jarrett solved it.

AWESOME

Melvin...

How could I forget you? You kept me from tearing into my Grand Slam breakfast!!! hahaha Just kidding..

Thanks again for your offer. I really appreciate it...

Jim

·
Registered
187 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the visit last night and letting me hear the PE. (I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed it too.) I also had to show my wife the mvpmotorsports description to convinve her the PE was one of the quietest exhausts available.

About the dyno thing. I know you are out of town a lot, but if you want to run over to Turbo Tune one weekday morning or afternoon, give me a call. I am pretty flexible and probably can go on short notice.

Am I going to be the only stock dawg at Crossroads? Boy will I feel inferior.

Later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts