Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. This winter i did a bunch of work to my car, as can be seen here http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518081.
I did the VSS's, bought the pliers and the retainer tool for it. I finally started it on saturday but just let it idle for a little bit. I did the same on tuesday. Today i brought it about a half mile down the road to get an alignment done before i mount the bumper and sideskirts, so there is no issues about getting it on the lift. I basically babied it there, never going above 2500rpm, but i noticed that as i pulled to the end of my driveway and as i slowed down to pull into the shop it let out a short puff of smoke. Is this normal, for after having it apart and not running for about 3-4 months, or did i do something wrong and have to take it apart again?ohnoes:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my girlfriend behind me, and she said it was white. I brought it home and it seemed to do it when i was on the throttle mildly, since i don't have it all together i don't want to get on it. In the driveway the exhaust smelled kinda funny. My buddy who has helped me occasionally came by, and told me that he put almost 16 ounces of Sta-Bil in it in the beginning of January, can this cause some smoke, and a funny odor.

If it keeps up i will pull the covers, cams, and check the seals.

·
stop playin wit mah name
1,930 Posts
Did you remember to remove all of the old seal that may have still been on the valve stem when you took out the old seal?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
if it is white, you may have other issues... white smoke normally indicates coolant burning, not oil, though to some people blue smoke looks white... pull the radiator cap and see if there are any bubbles or smoke coming out (not steam)... and hard runs since the problem? how much boost and timing are you running?

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you remember to remove all of the old seal that may have still been on the valve stem when you took out the old seal?
Yes i made sure to shine a bright lihgt down there to be sure that it was all out.

if it is white, you may have other issues... white smoke normally indicates coolant burning, not oil, though to some people blue smoke looks white... pull the radiator cap and see if there are any bubbles or smoke coming out (not steam)... and hard runs since the problem? how much boost and timing are you running?
Today was the first day that i had a chance to drive it. I still have to finish butting the bumper and sideskirts on, plus i am waiting for a new power steering pump before i do any major driving. That should be here tomorrow. As for boosy i run about 16lbs, and i am still on sthe stock ECU

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Was reading through a couple of old posts and found someone stating that if you run a catch can vented back into the intake pipes, some oil from the catch can sucked back in might have deposited itself in the pipes (especially if you have bigger hard pipes) and is slowly burning off. If you baby the car or let it idle for a while after not starting it for a long time that apparently can happen. A few hard pulls SHOULD clear that out quickly enough.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Given that your in the state of PA, I assume it's been cold, snowing, raining, and just plain damp weather. It could be just condensation build up in the exhaust, assuming it's really short puffs of white smoke coming out of the exhaust (like a foot of puffing). If it's clouds of white smoke, then I would worried.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, i did a compression check and they were all around 170. I did a leakdown, and they were all good with that too. I let it run for a while to get rid of a lot of the fuel that was in it, then filled it up with 93 from the Shell near my house, and so far everything seems ok. I am going to finish putting it together today or tomorrow, so that i can take it out and see how it acts on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts