Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it RAN!!!!!

few of you know what's been going on w/ my personal car. ive spent alot of time working on everyone else's supra and even my old GF's DSM. then the DSM got sold, bought an 89 supra and i did a 1JZ swap in it. ive been messing around w/ the 1JZ alot lately. and also helping out local supra owners with their problems... so, due to various circumstances, my personal supra was down for almost a year and a half.

the back story:

bought the car in dec 2003. drove it for a month w/ suspected BHG. ate coolant and temp would fluctuate. so i tore it down in 7-2003 and did a HG job in my apt parking lot. installed some mods, making ~320rwhp, whooped some F-body ass. car blew the stock-type HG again in 11-2003. car sat as i accumulated parts for a 800hp motor rebuild.

soem of you may remember the 800rwhp shortblock that i built and sold to a fellow supra owner, Garret rowe; the innovator of the "Supra Stick" shifter. at that point, i had planned on buying a Flatlander stroker short block and do some secret stuff to it and build a motor to run my T88H turbo.

at this point, i decided that my targa top, lift back supra isnt the chassis i want to put a 1000hp motor into. it would have too much chassis flex to deal with and i dont want t resort to a cage for a STREET car. so, i decided to put my supra all back to stock and sell it off so i can put it towards my other supra, which will be a daily driver and start saving up for a soarer.

sooo... i rebuilt a stock 7M, did some oil pump mods, cryo'd pistons, HKS 2.0 MHG, arp studs and flywheel bolts.

today, it started and ran and idled. it runs like a champ. it runs so smooth now. it also has ~75psi of oil pressure at 3000rpm w/ my mods. its coming back to life!!!!111!!1Eleven!!

now, just have to get it all cleaned up and ready to sell ;)

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
Awesome! I have been without Supra since October and I can't wait til I'm back on the road.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, definitly... its just running with an open DP right now. I missed that turbine whistling soo much. it sounds AWESEOME!!!

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
about time chris...you shouldve gotten it running awhile ago if you had gotten the parts you lent out like i said ;)

and for the record...with that much power if you EVER plan on running it at the track...guess what..youll need a cage anyways...

but to each his own...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i plan on running at the track and pulling 12.40's at 139mph...

i can run once and then get booted. thats the coolest thing ever... do a shake down run and get kicked out because youre TOO FAST!

i know how the record works..

i forgot to look at the pressure at idle, but i was revving it up and down and noticed i had almost 80psi @ 3000rpm. this is with 20w50 too.

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
flubyux2 do you have a shop? I am looking a good builder for my 7m when I rebuild her.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no shop right now, just doing stuff on the side. i might be able to build a motor for you, i just have to find a usable core. right now, i dont have any spares left.

i outsourced the machine work and parts and stuff. just assembled it all myself.

i took it out for a drive to get some seat time. hot idle oil pressure is ~25psi. i may drop back down to the 10w40 oil weight to bring the pressure back down. i basically am just shooting for 10psi per 1000 rpm.

·
greasemonkey
3,126 Posts
flubyux2 said:
i forgot to look at the pressure at idle, but i was revving it up and down and noticed i had almost 80psi @ 3000rpm. this is with 20w50 too.
thats way too much. im betting your gonna blow a seal when you get a chance to run it hard. at 3k rpm id want ~35psi. also, make sure you run more oil then it requires stock. putting out that much pressure your gonna suck the pan dry.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what seals are holding oil pressure? the cam seals?

like i said, this is with 20w50, im anticipating the pressure to drop when i change back to 10w40.

i dont know how many times ive said this... probably going on the HUNDREDTH time...

IM SHOOTING FOR 10PSI FOR EVERY 1000RPM.

i know what desireable oil pressure is, i KNOW this oil pressure is on the high side. you dont need to tell me. i konw the risks and dangers of running oil pressure to high.

at least with these mods ill be able to run PROPER oil levels and Toyota recommended oil weights rather than needing 20w50 like everyone else out there on stock motors.

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Battle of the builders! Both of you guys know your stuff and I enjoy reading your posts.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
There are no seals that I am aware of that hold pressure (unless you have some sort of odd turbo feed).

flubyux2: how much did you shim the relief spring? You might want to lower that a bit. Going with the 10W40 will improve everything I bet. The main "danger" that I have heard about (not experienced) with running that high of pressure is damaging the timing belt (due to the increasd drag at high pressure during high rpm of the oil pump drive. The drive has a relatively small "contact patch" to the belt). You may also want to keep an eye on the PCV system with that much pressure as you may "fill" the exhaust side cam cover with oil, the drainback is not the greatest on that side of the head.

Great work and research (on the oil system) though!

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks snow-man and dean.

i shimmed the releif about 12mm. this is what a cross section of the releif spring bolt looks like. i found a split washer that i had and hammered it into the opening of the recess inside the bolt and put it just below the tapered lip. as it turns out, it seems to be a little on the high side. i would recommend shimming it about 8mm or so from the bottom of the recess. then, after eliminating the stock GTE oil filter/cooler system with integrated releif spring, that ought to bring the oil pressure back up to where im at now. then once i change back to the recommended oil weight, i should be down to the ideal pressure.

__
|...|_________________
|............................../
|...________________/
|...|.....................|.|
|...|---~12mm-----|.|
|...|.....................|.|
|...|_____________|.|_
|..............................\
|...._________________\
|__|

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol, thanks E-dawg.

i woulnt mind getting some numbers down. actually, there is a track day TOMORROW, test and tune at Bradenton Motorsports park. maybe i can get some numbers in.

theres probalby only 10 miles on the motor. i figure if something is gonan go wrong, it should have already.

the car is virtually 100% stock. only thing done to it is: 3-puck feramic clutch, 2.25" dp from stock elbow, no exhaust, hard-wired Walbro 255 and 2 washers on the WG. its essentially stock except for the exhaust works. the turbo spools up to 0.5bar and will creep to 0.6 bar later on.

i just missed the sound of the 7M so much. im in love w/ the exhaust and the turbo sounds all over again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts