Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· The Radiator Man
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, any suggestions as to what I should get?
Racing, performance, brands???

it's an 89 turbo, and it's my dd.

Like to get the best bang for my buck, and cheapest if possible, on a very tight budget.

· Registered
3,818 Posts
well if you plan on doing anything over 300 hp you might wanna get something better than stock.
you could get like the stage 1 spec clutch. cheapest i know of is.
www.jscspeed.com

· The Doc is in...
571 Posts
I would reccomend just spending the money now, and leave yourself room to go up in performance. I know you are on a budget, but pulling the tranny once for a good clutch is easier than pulling it twice to upgrade. I went with the RPS 3200lb pressure plate and 6-puck disc. It leaves me PLENTY of room for more performance. I would recommend at least a Spec Stage 3. But as you said you are on a budget. Just get the best you can afford.

· The Radiator Man
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoolme said:
well if you plan on doing anything over 300 hp you might wanna get something better than stock.
you could get like the stage 1 spec clutch. cheapest i know of is.
www.jscspeed.com
so exspensive :(

drbowser, how much did yours cost?

· The Radiator Man
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toph said:
I got a spec stage 2 with installation for 400 brand new, gotta love knowing a mechanic
do you know how much just the clutch by it self cost?
Hopefully my mech will price it as good as yours.

· The Radiator Man
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clifton said:
A stock PP and stock disk will hold 400 rwhp/tq. A stock PP and 6 puck will hold a little over 500rwhp/torque.
Great!
thanks for the info man.
PS.
That is one SICK ass 240. 7m swapped into it too?
:bowdown:

· Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
My experience differs in that my stock clutch gave out at about 320rwtq, and was not heavily worn or improperly broken in. I think your numbers would be legit for a 2500lb car but not a 3500lb MK3.

· aka supra_driven
213 Posts
Wreckless said:
My experience differs in that my stock clutch gave out at about 320rwtq, and was not heavily worn or improperly broken in. I think your numbers would be legit for a 2500lb car but not a 3500lb MK3.
Same thing here. My clutch is starting to give up since i turned the boost up. And i'm still on the stock ct-26 :wtflol:

· Registered
438 Posts
Wreckless said:
I think weight does play a small part in it but I have dynoed at both power levels were weight doesn't matter. When I did have slippage with both setups it always started in 4th gear, both times at only 2 psi more than I ran on the dyno.

· 475RWHP 449TQ and climing
6,183 Posts
kylefoto said:
So, any suggestions as to what I should get?
Racing, performance, brands???

it's an 89 turbo, and it's my dd.

Like to get the best bang for my buck, and cheapest if possible, on a very tight budget.

This is going to cost, but if you cut corners you do it again.Why get a car that takes lots of money to get going, and then have a low budget to repair it. Tight budgets and MKIII's only end up in failure or sales. That said get a cheap replacement clutch and be done. Also don't modify the car because it will take more than a tight budget to keep it going. :1poke:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.