Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really funny though.

A couple of real nice young Supras guys from our area here in Longview/Kelso by the name of Jeremy and Jesse volunteered to help me get my transmission out of my car in order to change the clutch.

I did some of the easy stuff to start to get things ready to take the transmission out and then these two nice young men showed up to help the Olddawg. They probably felt sorry for me because I was so old...haha... Well I am getting up there all right but I haven't slipped one foot in the grave yet. Anyway as soon as they show up they more or less took over to get the rest of the work done and the transmission out. They whizzed right through everything except one of the top bolts on separating the trannie from the back of the engine. I thought for a while I might have to crawl back under the car to do that one bolt myself...haha... But no they were very persistent and stuck with it until they got it out. Then we yarded the trannie out. The car was jacked up just right so that the transmission, sitting on my home made trannie cradle on my garage jack, came right out the back end of the car.

We had some of the best pizza in the world made at Brunos Pizza and shot the breeze for a while. I will take some pictures of the mess and post them up here pretty soon.

Thank you Jeremy & Jesse for all you did for this Olddawg. Your help was very much appreciated!!!

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
hehe.. I'll take one of those please! Its always nice to hear about other members helping out! Those tranny bolts can really be a pain in the ass. I used to make a super long extension and pull the tailshaft of the tranny down to get those suckers from the back. Get the olddawg back on the road and lets go burn up some more clutches at PIR! :bigthumb:

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
sorry to hear it Jim. I must say though, it was THE best driving clutch next to stock of any of the aftermarket clutches I've ever driven. Hopefully you find a similar replacement. :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
kale said:
sorry to hear it Jim. I must say though, it was THE best driving clutch next to stock of any of the aftermarket clutches I've ever driven. Hopefully you find a similar replacement. :)
Yeah Chris i just hope our experience with this clutch is a little better then JimSR.
;)

-Brian

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
Spoolin S T 95 said:
Yeah Chris i just hope our experience with this clutch is a little better then JimSR.
;)

-Brian
Dunno. You two are pretty hardcore drivers :bigthumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Jim, glad you got the help. It's even difficult for me to crawl around on the ground trying to pull the tranny at my young age..:) Looks like your buddies RSVP'd for the Nationals yesterday and today, keep up the good work. Maybe we should start putting hits out on those that haven't RSVP'd and start calling you "The Godfather"...

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
JoeThaMan said:
Hey Jim, glad you got the help. It's even difficult for me to crawl around on the ground trying to pull the tranny at my young age..:) Looks like your buddies RSVP'd for the Nationals yesterday and today, keep up the good work. Maybe we should start putting hits out on those that haven't RSVP'd and start calling you "The Godfather"...
Joe just call me the "RECRUITER" The forced recruter that is...haha... I am glad Jeremy and Jesse signed up and am also real glad they helped me with my clutch job which I can hardly see how I would have done it by myself... We have one more Supra owner here in our area so maybe I can get the the "J TWINS" to work on him to sign up...haha... I don't know why more people don't register as I am sure when the end time rolls around a whole lot more people will be registering. I truly expect that about a hundred people should show up...haha... Well I don't see why not anyway. I guess I am always optimistic about our Supra friends.

We have so many really nice people here in the NW that are Supra owners and it really hurts me to see that we don't get together more. I just love to be around all of these young Supra people. I'm glad to see more people are starting to go to the Friday and Saturday night PIR drags. That not so far away as Woodburn. My problem is it happens way after my bedtime...haha...

I guess when one gets as old as Virginia and I are they are like the chickens and like to have their feet around the roost pole when dark time comes....haha...

Matt: One thing I have plenty of is extensions... I probably have about 20 of them in 3/8 and 1/2" drive size. I was thinking about hooking the engine lift to the front of the engine and lifting it to see if that helped. Actually when they were finally able to get on it the best it was a very long 1/2" extension almost straight out from the one really hard bolt to get to that worked on getting it loose. Thanks for the tip of pulling the tail of the transmission to get a little more room.

Enzo: I will take that clutch if you wouldn't mind wrapping it up and putting bows around it and sending it to me for an early birthday present. Thanks...haha...

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
yeh, but he didn't listen to me. Buy Ryan Woon's clutch. He drag races and proves his product out in the real world. Mine has 5K on it and there is no signs of slippage and the pedal pressure is only a bit more than stock.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Stu Hagen said:
Wasnt this a brand new set up not too long ago???
StuH: Yes and I am absolutely unsatisfied with the service I got out of this clutch disc being it was only in use some few miles less than 10K miles. Most of that service was at around 325RWHP during my new engine break in and most of the rest was at my lo-power setting which is approximately 440RWHP and some little at my Hi-Power setting which may be around 550 or 560RWHP and a very little doing a few burn outs and four passes of drag racing. This SouthBend clutch I specified was bought as a complete kit from TF's through HPF's to be suppled by SouthBend and ordered out as SOUT CA742DXD.

Here is the description of the clutch as described at HPF's website:
Toyota Supra 93-98 6 Speed, Dual Friction (Kevlar & Metallic 6 puck) (650rwhp max) South Bend Clutch Clutch Kits CA742DXD, (6 button unsprung disc, metallic on the flywheel side and Kevlar on the pressure plate side)
Edit: I changed the word "sprung" in the HPF description from "sprung" to "unsprung."

I do have to say that the action of this clutch was near perfect in smooth engagement and ease of use and as far as the pressure it took to engage and disengage this clutch.

I will most likely send the clutch disc directly back to SouthBend and see what they have to say about the unsatisfactory service.

SteveT: I am considering using a DXD SouthBend pressure plate (the same brand and model # of pressure plate I am now using) with a stock Toyota Supra clutch disc under it.

Two of the puck clutch pieces fell out when the pressure plate was pulled back and one was missing and we never did find it.

Pictures of fried clutch disc and flywheel...

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pictures of fried clutch disc and flywheel #2

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pictures of fried clutch disc and flywheel #3

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pictures of fried clutch disc and flywheel #4

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you plan on using the stock Toyota disc, I would recommend getting an upgraded pressure plate like the RPS or the ACT. As for the SB Pressure plates, they use stock pressure plates and use upgraded materials to raise the power rating on the clutches. The cause for your failure was probably the pressure plate not having enough clamping force to hold the disc.

Another thing is that the SB clutches are rated at hp, where they should be rated at torque, because peak torque is where the motor will be producing the most twisting force on the clutch/transmission. For example, a motor making 600rwhp at 3000, 5000, and 7000 rpm is going to be making different amounts of torque at those different points.

[email protected]=1050ft.lbs
[email protected]=630ft.lbs
[email protected]=450ft.lbs

So, the chances for a clutch to slip with motor that makes the higher rwp sooner, will have a much higher chance of slipping than the others.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
Hey Jim, I'll be emailing you shortly regarding some pics you asked about earlier of some unrelated parts, but regarding this matter and you clutch; have you spoken to southbend yet regarding the use of a stock toyota disk? Following what Joe has said, if the failure of the clutch due to lack of clamping load is right, then it means with a stock toyota disk, theoretically you would have even less clamping load, since that pressure from the PP would be spread over a much larger surface area, and put through less abraisive and lower friction stock material.

However, I'm still very interested in the southbend components, and hope to hear from southbend that this is a rare failure. It seems their PP is well suited to daily driving, and if it could be made to work with a small single turbo car, it would be perfect.

·
Registered
221 Posts
MattOneDime said:
Thats no flywheel.. thats a FRIEDWHEEL :)

No, No, No, it's "Fryreew"

Another thing to look at to compare the SB pressure plate with a stock disc and the upgraded disc. Say you (your weight = pressure plate clamping force) go running across a hardwood floor in socks (stock disc) and shoes (dxd disc) and try to stop quickly. you will slide with socks but not with shoes because of the higher coefficient of friction. If you have someone that ways 500lbs, they will probably slide less of a distance because of the higher load (clamping force). you need to take these two factors into mind when choosing a clutch and determine what your ultimate goal is. A stock disc with a heavy pressure plate will have very smooth engagement and decent amount of holding power, but a heavier pedal. Using a lighter pressure plate with a more aggressive disc will have more harsh engagement, but a lighter pedal effort. My recommendation would be the RPS Pressure plate with their street disc, good to 660ft.lbs. The one big difference between the RPS and ACT is the disc. They have metallic "veins" within the organic material so the power rating is higher than the ACT w/ stock disc (588ft.lbs) although the ACT Pressure plate has about 200lbs more clamping force.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts