Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Revolutions Motorsports in Eau Claire, Wisconsin yesterday because I bought some Volk LE37's from the owner - Henry - really nice guy. Anyways I bought an intake for a 95-97 V6 Accord and a Covered cone filter. He threw in a yellow rubber elbow, and with some ingenuity - I created the king of cold air intakes:

I still need a coupler for where the afm and intake meet, but you get the idea.

Here are more pics:
http://www.doubleodd.com/images/supra/winterproject/newintake1.jpg
http://www.doubleodd.com/images/supra/winterproject/newintake2.jpg
http://www.doubleodd.com/images/supra/winterproject/newintake3.jpg

And one of my pretty new wheels and tires:
http://www.doubleodd.com/images/supra/winterproject/newvolkfront.jpg

It will be a few months before I can actually test out the setup (MN winter :( ) but I expect good things. Especially coupled with the SP exhaust and equal length headers from Sound Performance...

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
looks like you had to do some cutting to get that to work...is the actual filter in the pic or is it dropped down lower((thats what it looks like...)) doesnt this make your filter alot more susceptible to dust that could get in the engine?
looks nice tho. congrats
Bob

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I cut a 3" hole in the fender well right below where the yellow boot makes the 90 degree down turn.

The filter is encased in the chrome cone just behind the yellow boot and ahead of the AFM - so it is drawing 100% of the air from the cavity behind the passenger side air dam (where the SMIC would be). It is just an opening in the floor - there is no pipe or pickup down there so it isn't going to pick up any more dirt than normal.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
nice dirt is bad. seems like a good design you got going there. let me know when u figure out how much horsepower you gain. im looking for 10-14 out of an apexi filter ((with a 97 accord piping cut slightly to fit))...no holes cut in the fender dam tho.

·
Hardtopper
235 Posts
From the picture... that looks like a 96 or above. The MAF is the black plastic... I may be mistaken, but I thought the 95 and earlier have the square aluminum MAFs. After seeing these pictures, I’m thinking about trying this.

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is a 97. Everything will work the same for a pre 97 except you will need an adapter for the front of the maf because it is square. The back is round and will still mate up with the intake pipe just fine.

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
95SupraSE said:
would you have to make your own adapter, or could you buy one?
You can probably make one, but you can buy them too. I bought mine from one of those "import shops." It's made by OBX, a bit crude, but it gets the job done.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
First off i wanted to say Frankenstein the intake looks really good you did a good job with it. Also my props for the innovative cold air intake design you have there very original and it looks pretty fly too. I like the color of your Supra too is that like a Hunter Green? I dont see many of em like that.

And 95SupraSE if you bought a Filter Kit like Apexis off from Nopi it comes with the adapter for the 95 and before Supras so you wouldnt have to buy it or make one seperate.
Later

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
wow... looking good

mad props for a very innovative design... i know it's going to take a while for actual hp numbers but how did the performance change compared to stock? also, how does it sound?

nice wheels too... i think the color of the car is called jade mica or something like that... another :cool: supra

·
road hazard
452 Posts
awesome setup frankenstein. i got a couple of questions for you. what year is your na? is that a stock MAF or aftermarket (how come its not square like others?)? if its aftermarket, which one is it? do you feel any performance difference with your new cold air intake?

very sweet wheels too.

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, the car is a 97 and that is a stock maf. They were round at least by 97 if not in 96 as well. My car is out of comission until spring because of the snow (although if I get my Greddy SP from Ranger soon, I may be able to take a quick spin - it is 60 degrees right now).

I don't expect much from the intake, maybe 5 ponies or so - but coupled with the exhaust and the headers that Larry told me he would get us a quote on - we could be talking legitimate hp gains.

Then when I throw the nitrous on there - wammo!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts