Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to teach myself photoshop. Here is my first project.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Just a little comment, your amplification is all wrong...you should have a 4 channel covering your fronts and rears or even just a 2 channel with the rears off the headunit. You shouldn't use components in the rear either, you'll just screw up your sound stage. And finally your sub amp should be a dedicated sub amp. I'm not too sure how you plan on crossing over the sub and sats with a single amp?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
#1SomeGuy said:
Just a little comment, your amplification is all wrong...you should have a 4 channel covering your fronts and rears or even just a 2 channel with the rears off the headunit. You shouldn't use components in the rear either, you'll just screw up your sound stage. And finally your sub amp should be a dedicated sub amp. I'm not too sure how you plan on crossing over the sub and sats with a single amp?
i totally agree, you should have one 4 ch. for the mids/highs and one mono or 2 ch. for the sub. for the mids and highs you should get components for the front and just 2 ways in the back.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you guys are saying. This is somewhat temporary at the moment. I'm looking for a separate amp around 1000 x 1 for the sub. Then it will be 425 (the 2 851X amps) in each corner + 1000 on the sub. A little overkill, but I'd rather have too much power. I had been running 300 watts total and never really had much headroom when I cranked it.

The rear speakers are an experiment right now. Not sure if I'm going to keep them or not. I'm going to play around with the time delay of the head unit so they will be delayed and at a low volume to not kill the front stage. Front stage will be time delayed also so at least the driver's side gets a decent center stage. No one ever rides in the car anyway so I'm going to set it up for me.

Head unit has no amp.

The amps are 4, 3, or 2 channel, 110 x4, 110 x 2 + 425, or 425 x 2. Each pair of channels in the amp have their own 24db crossover so I can set the rears high pass and the sub low pass on the one amp. That's how I'm filtering the signals. The deck has up to 24db crossovers for each channel also if I want to use them instead of the built in amp crossovers. Haven't had time to do back to back comparisons yet to determine which sound better. I went with multichannel amps for flexibility because I'm always changing things, plus I got them authorized with warranty for 1/2 retail from sounddomain.

I plan on replacing the infinity sub with an elemental designs 12 inch soon also.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Still components in the back is not good for the soundstage in any design I've ever seen. They're more less overkill and bring the focus rearward. As for the amps 425RMS is WAY too much for ANY components I've ever seen in my life. That's like 4 times the wattage they would require to blow them if you're not careful. Either way, interesting setup.

J

·
0 Posts
Components in the rear is okay, IMHO. It does pull the stage back, but so will ANY tweeter, whether component or coaxial. Components will still provide cleaner sound, and if they're well matcched to the fronts are less likely to have phase relation problems with the front because they'll have the same phase shifts, and response.

When I re-did my setup, I just got rid of the rears altogether, because I felt that the phase problems that I was having were overall just too nasty. I felt that I could have solved the problems with matching components in the rear for what I had in the front, but since I was already running the rears at signifigantly reducced volume, so as to keep my sound stage, I felt that it was not worht the trouble and expense. In the end, I just turfed the rears, and have been much happier since.

I think that turfing the rears, and running the amp as a dedicated subwoofer amplifier will solve some of the overhead problems as well, although it will definitely not increase overal SPL. I've found that in general, it's nice to have about 40-50% of your overall system power going to subs, depending on your tastes and speaker layout. With the current setup, there is a much lower percentage of system power being used for subs.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't believe it been two years since I started this thread. I got rid of the rear speakers like most of you guys recommended. New sub, mids, tweeters.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any pics of where you mounted your planars? I've thought about experimenting with planar tweeters before, but have always heard of negative results in a car. What did you think about yours?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No pics, but they lay flat on the dash in the defroster vents by the windshield. Close to the stock tweeters but in towards the center a bit where the vent starts.. They are only about 2 x 3 inches and I covered them with grille cloth so they don't look too bad where they are at. I like them better than any domes I've ever used (boston pro/cdt), but a ribbon would probably take it to another level. I just can't figure out a place to mount bigger ribbons other than the kick panel area and I'd need to go active. I got lucky and they worked really well with the CDT passive crossovers I use. For the price I think they are worth it. Plus, if you get them from parts express you can always send them back as long as you keep them in new condition. It's true they are sensitive to mounting location and direction, I didn't care for them in the kicks, but up on the dash they sound good. I use time alignment also to center the imaging, that makes a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts