Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

While checking on a scrubbing noise (wheel bearing) I decided to investigat a clicking noise I've been getting whenever I let off the gas and engage the clutch to just coast. Seems that when the wheels have have a second to catch up It's taking up some slack in the diff and the gears making a click sound as they touch.

I checked out my DS, and while my center bearing does need to be replaced, I did verify that my U joints are all fine and the clicking is definitely coming from inside the diff.

I'm running a 3.91 LSD from a turbo on my N/A. I do drive hard on occassion, but it doesn't make a sound. The clutch packs seem fine, no solo peel outs.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how long my diff's got left to live?

And YES, I did search this.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing, I didn't see any pause in the diff's output. So I suspect that there is play, but only when there's a load on it. If I tuned the DS the rotors turned fine. When I changed direction the rotors did as well, without pause. Same thing when I turned either rotor by hand.

The only thing I can think of is the pinion and gear.... sorry, I don't really know my way around when it comes to the inner working of a diff.

G

·
My friend's 7mgte clicks, going around turns like a fwd car with a broken cv boot, we rip the car for all it's worth every time we take it out and that is the only weird thing that happens.
A testiment to it's durability, still launches like a champ!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just a long shot, but mine did that once and I found that one of the large bolts that hold it in place (one of the front ones) was missing.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
It is either your carrier bearing amking the noise and traveling down the driveshaft or your pinion is loose and hitting the carrier in the differential. Is the seal leaking on the diff?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts