Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please do not move this to the 1jz section! I would like the 7m guys and the 1jz guys to have their say!

I have recently found myself in a big dilemma!

I have been doing a lot of research on 1j's lately and am starting to think that this is the best route for modding the supra.

I would like to update everyone on my supras status as it stands right now! The motor has been pulled and completely stripped. The head rebuilt and almost everything has been ceramic coated and/or powdercoated. I have many parts ready to complete this rebuild such as: Lexus AFM, Greddy E-manage, Greddy gauges, steel brake lines, Greddy MHG, ARP head bolts, etc.

I am about to purchase pistons, bearings, and the works to finish this rebuild but am hesitating because of the urge to go with the 1jz!

What would you guys do in my shoes? What is your honest opinion on this topic?

I have sourced a few companies that can get me clips delivered to my house and am seriously contemplating purchasing a clip to do the swap!

Lets here some opinions!

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
You have obviously done a lot of work on the 7M, that aside can you get an engine only 1J and and go stand alone computer. Or buy the clip and try to use the Emange.

Here in Australia, the 1J is way more popular than the 7M, that aside the 1J's can make excellent power with basic fuel mods and more boost.

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a lot of work into this 7m and I think I could recoup most of the money from the clip from selling my stuff but I just don't know whether it is actually worth the hastle?

Thanks for the input!

Jason

·
Minor Threat
391 Posts
It seems like modding your Supra isn't putting you in the poor house. If I were in your shoes, I'd take a drive in a 1JZ MKIII and see what your impression are. Not sure how far you've come with turbo and fuel upgrades for your 7M, but you'll need to buy all new swag for that 1JZ. Hopefully you haven't shelled out a few grand for an upgraded manifold, exhaust, turbo, and injectors. On the bright side, I'd be willing to buy some of those powdercoated parts from you :D

I have both an '87 and '89 turbo MKIII. I plan on swapping in a 1JZ into the '87, perhaps later in 2004. I'd have done it earlier, but spent a good bit of coin of 7M upgrades. If I had it to do again, I'd go straight with the 1JZ. My perspective is a bit different though. I want the best of both worlds and have 2 cars to do it with so it's not really an "either or" choice. More like a "Damn, I'm gonna have to put in 20 hours overtime each week until 2008 to afford all this shite!" :(

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
I really looked at this issue hard, and when it all came down to the swap, I went 7M. In a perfect world, where I knew how to do wiring harnesses better and could easily source 1JZ parts...I may have went that route...but then again in a perfect world I would have a 2JZ in my MKIII.

7M for a torque based motor with high potential when done correctly.

1JZ for a very stout, higher revving, twin turbo motor.

I feel that both engines have proven themselves.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
here's some food for thought:

-keep the 7M and you'll have a NEW engine....

-get the 1J and you have a USED engine, no telling what you'll get and in what sort of shape its in.

-repair/replacement parts for the 1J would have to be sourced from japan (time, $$)

the advice on driving a 1J car is very good. personally, i don't think the 1J should be used in the MKIII- its too heavy.

it all comes down to what you want- a big torquey engine or a smooth, lower tq high-reving one....

·
SP-61GT powered
289 Posts
Like I said last night... Keep the 7M unless there is someone (reputable) in town waving a 1JZ clip in your face. Now get some sleep. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
i had a pretty modified 7m before i got the 1jz.... its two totally different engines.... u would have to relearn how to drive the 1j, the 7m needs a lot of shifting to get that thing to really move... the 1j likes to rev.... u can keep it in gear all day long, but if rpms are too low, theres no power to be found. the 7m beats the 1j there.... i think the 1j is easier to handle on a road course than a 7m just because it has more of a natural torque curve. and it is easier to get the 1jz to get off the line b/c of the less torque i made compared with the 7m i had. both engines are really good. parts are easy for me to get...oem parts on the other hand are a nightmare to get. but with more and more manufacturers making parts for the 7m (ex. sound performance) its easy to make huge power from the 7m.

7m - 15lbs of boost, fcon, evc, exhaust, intake, dp, intercooler. is similar to a pretty much stock 1jz, with minimal upgrades, exhaust, dp and intake at 12psi.

1JZ- my cousin was able to extract 330 hp (3rd gear pull) and i forgot how much torque from minimal upgrades.... these engines dont make much power till u throw out those little turbos.

Louis

N

·
0 Posts
you already have a rearly fully built motor that will be very fresh, why not spend the $2k that a clip would cost upgrading your 7m, then you will be able to put out 500hp with a bigger turbo

Edit: i also know of some people that could never get the 1jz running right, so that might be something to think about

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
A already built 7M is way more reliable than a used 1J as per what the Doc said.

The way I see it, when your used 1J blows, you'll have to end up spending more $$$$ into building it, what's the point?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
+ youre gonna have a stock 1jz... vs a built new 7m... if i were in your shoes, ide just stick with what you got... unless you are made of money then go for it...

Ang

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Checkout Flatlanderracing.com under the stroker kits.
3.6L for the 7MGTE will whip any 1JZ motor into submisson. :)
Heavy cars need tourqe, and the 1JZ motor does not have much of it naturally. (2JZ is another story, and a stroked 2JZ is even better, but that starts to get into 8k territory by the time your done.)
Kit is just over 2k for the crank, rods and pistons, or just under 3k for a assembeld shortblock with a stroker crank/rods/forged pistons. (Not a bad deal really, if your head is done, just put that on, and your good to go.)
Later

N

·
0 Posts
adjuster said:
Checkout Flatlanderracing.com under the stroker kits.
3.6L for the 7MGTE will whip any 1JZ motor into submisson. :)
Heavy cars need tourqe, and the 1JZ motor does not have much of it naturally. (2JZ is another story, and a stroked 2JZ is even better, but that starts to get into 8k territory by the time your done.)
Kit is just over 2k for the crank, rods and pistons, or just under 3k for a assembeld shortblock with a stroker crank/rods/forged pistons. (Not a bad deal really, if your head is done, just put that on, and your good to go.)
Later
has anyone done this yet, or tired it and it didnt work, or any claimed power gains?

would this lower the rev limit, or would it still be ok to rev to 6250?

·
2,306 Posts
Rev limit stays the same. 6800 is where my limiter kicks in :)
Thing is, the 7MGTE is geared for lower rev's, it is happy to run around all day at 2500rpm on the street, and a stroker motor at those engine speeds will make much more useable tourqe than a stock displacement one.
I'm thinking of going this route. (With some coatings of course....)
Don't really like the lag of my current stage V turbo, but with almost .7 of a liter extra displacment, that lag should be much less, and top end power should be awesome.
I try and shift at 6k anyway, and on the street, about 4500 to 5k at the most. Trouble is with this turbo, I find myself hitting the rev limiter all the time, it's too eager to pull to redline where the power is.
Also launching should be a fun deal. I'd guess anything more than 2500rpm would just fry the tires. (Maybe more, but somewhere in that range will make more tourqe than my 275's can handle.)
Just need to get the money together now. (Have 2k of it, so I'm very close.)

·
Super Moderator
10,239 Posts
Adjuster, where the heck are you seeing the 7M stuff? I only see parts for domestic V8's on that site.

·
2,306 Posts
Here is the link.
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/
Enjoy.
:)

BTW, some of the figures in here don't appear to be correct. And the HP/TQ gains they claim are funny. (We can eclipse them by a large margin for sure at 25psi.)
With a motor like this, porting and larger valves would be a true benefit, not just mental masturbation. ;)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with the 7m...first drive in the supra and i almost shit my pants. GO 7M!

Then again ive never made contact with the 1jz

like doc j said. For the 7m the parts are easier to get and more available.

In the end its what you really want

1 - 20 of 55 Posts