Supra Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well I plan on using this car for street and some drag.

I do know that I can make back almost all the money spent on the clip by selling my 7m stuff but I just don't know what to do.

I really like the idea of the 1J, there are so many positives when lookin at goin 1J but is it something I really need.......no. Is it something I really want.......yes.

Well I'll get all the quotes together and continue the dilemma!

Thanks for the help Lenny!

Jason

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
One thing is for sure, when weighing your decision....

There were less than a handful of people in the US who'd done this swap a few years ago (not much knowledge transfer going on either).

Orin and I began to share what we knew/learned and others began to do the swap as well (1999 or 2000?). Now there is a much broader range of info available, including replacement part interchanges between the 7M, 1JZ, and 2JZ (even from other Toyotas). Lots of info available about common "tune up" items such as spark plugs, oil filter, even timing belt.

Anyway, here's the rundown....

Swap was hard when no one really knew much....now you have the support group and knowledge-base to use and learn from and maybe even make your own contributions. Except for maybe a lil' more labor (re-doing wiring), the swap is as simple now as replacing your 7M is.... my 10 cents...

Happy holidays!!

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Talked to Phil today at Flatlander about the stroker kit.
Here are the parts.
Forged pistons. (Ross sourced, custom specs.)
I beam rods. (Again custom sourced/specs, scat or pauter)
Toda bearings. (Excellent quality upgrade from stock.)
Crank is welded and reground on new centers, then hardened again for wear and strength. Also comes balenced.
Kit for 2299, or assembled in a block for 2699.
The rest of the engine is what you make of it. He sounded like a pretty decient guy on the phone, does not reccomend large bores on high boost 7M's, says the stroke increase alone with a mild overbore will give us plenty of tourqe, especially those of us who are looking for 25psi on the street. (Like me, 30? on toulene mixed with 93ron gas 50/50.)
Only downer is the 8 to 10 week waiting list.
:)

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
2PHAT4U said:
Hmmmmmm

There was a member in Calgary that was going to do the single turbo 1j!

Why is it just as hard to fit as the 2J?

I thought the single tubo 1j's came in hte mkIII? Or does it come from the factory in the mkIV?

Thanks for the info cards!

Your input is muchly appreciated!
Sorry for the reply delay on this :) The factory single turbo 1J came only in later 90's Soarer's, etc. It never came in a Supra chassis in any form. If you want to use a Soarer engine in your MKIII you will have to deal with engine mount and oil pan issues to start. All the stock IC piping won't fit your chassis, and you'll probably have to do some figuring on the engine harness as it's different from the one used on the TT 1J. (Diff ECU... all single turbo 1J's were VVTi.... I think) You may also have some trans issues as I don't know what trans came on those (might not be a problem) and some issues with the cluster signals matching the ECU. I know Toypro is more of an expert on the Soarer 1J's than I am.

So by the time you add up sourcing all the needed 1J parts, extra work, etc... you may as well be dropping in a 2J IMO.... it becomes the same basic issue. The only thing you wouldn't have to deal with would be the firewall issue on the 2J twin turbos.

There might be more on this... anyone else please complete anything I've missed.... it's post New Year's and I'm still feelin groggy ;)

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'll pass this info on to the guy here that is supposed to go with this single turbo 1j and see what he has to say!

Thank you very much for the info, 51 cards!

They are also a little harder to source as I have checked with a couple companies and they could only tell me they could try to find one for me. None have actually had one in their yard.

At this point I am swaying more to the 7m side again. I would love to continue th build on my 7m but the thought of going 1j is still so tempting.

Thanks

Jason

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Good info cards, might I also add that all vvti 1jz's came equipped with CT26's....:)

Hey don't sweat it man, I too am stuck in this dilemma, :( Being in college and whatnot, money is hard to come by. My original plan was to build up the 7m, then sell it to get a 1jz. But being so problematic, I am almost to the point of obtaining a 1jz, but I'm still unsure of this.

The 7m is a good motor no doubt, has a nice "kick" to it when you jump on the rpms. However, this isn't suited to my driving, so I figured the 1jz would give me more of that linear powerband.

Oh well, I'm still 17 so I guess I have more time to think about this...:)

·
Registered
329 Posts
TRD White Comet: No the VVTi 1JZ that came out of later model Soarers, Mark IIs, Chaser Tourer V's sported a CT15 not a CT26.

I'll post up a picture of one when I get home. It's quite abit different.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You are somewhat correct....,but

MKIIIpowered said:
Hey "o" doesnt matter if you rev to 7000 and make 500rwhp and I rev to 6000 and make 600rwhp;) See ya in texas! Oh yeah please send your money in for the dyno and such to Peter Blach.
Look at where the power comes in at and how linear it is. The JZ will hold it a lot better and sooner than the 7M. Put your 537 to my 535 dyno and compare to see how far behingd your car will be to mine. LOL.

·
what will the future hold
916 Posts
A 7m will always make more torque! Last i checked that gets the car moving. i guess we'll see in hosuton! maybe sooner!

Will

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yeah I think it's time for a showdown!

Will and Orin dukin it out! This would be a very interesting matchup!

But Will is runnin a lot more now so that wont really work.

Ah well

Later

Jason

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think the NA-259hp and turbo-320hp figures are from after they installed the stroker kit. They have the stock horse power rateings listed in paragraph below that. It would be awsome to go from 232 to 320 on the turbo motor with stroker kit alone if thats what they are saying.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts