Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Here is what I'll be driving around for the next couple of years. I got a '97 Toyota Chaser Tourer V and we got a Suzuki Wagon R Limited RR (whew!) for the wife. More on both.

I found the Chaser by pure luck after driving over an hour to check out a Subie STi that we had found online. The Subie was going for about $6k and was in OK shape. As I was walking around the lot, I saw the Chaser, which I had always thought were cool cars. After asking to look at the inside, the guy instantly knocked a thousand bucks off the price. So here I was looking at a pretty cool, clean, comfortable, RWD, 1JZ-powered sport sedan that isn't available in the US and half the price of the Subie. I couldn't pass that deal up, so I bought it. The guy selling it seemed pretty regretful, and after seeing an exact copy of my car for sale in the JDM auto trader going for $8k, I can see why.

Like mentioned, it is a 1JZ-GTE single turbo (an evolutionary upgrade from the earlier TT model to increase torque) with VVTi rated at the Japanese maximum of 280ps. So far, I am very impressed with this engine. It spools up and gets on the boost so quickly and the midrange power is great. It also revs straight to 7k and sounds great doing it. It is a total shame Toyota didn't stick with these engines and continue to improve them as they were really ahead of the game (BMW's beloved 3.0L inline 6 TT engine is proof). My MKIV TT was also JDM, but was not VVTi and had the slightly smaller turbos used in Japan. It's hard to compare the two since the last time I drove my MKIV in stock form was many years ago, but the 1JZ seems to spool quicker and actually has a meatier midrange. It seems to have no problem shredding the somewhat-shagged 245/40R17 tires in 1st. Yeah, it's an automatic, but it works well. Planning on light mods only, but I don't know what parts from the US I could use.

Handling is also sweet and looks to have a ton of potential. A drop of about an inch to an inch and a half will happen for sure and I'm still debating going with coil-overs. The interior is nothing special, but it is roomy and comfortable; much more so than the STi. The wheels have got to go as the offset is all wrong and the rears stick out too far. If anyone knows what offset to use or if other Toyota/Lexus wheels are similar (GS/SC/Supra, etc.), please hook it up with some info. I'm looking to run a 225 or 235 front and a 255 or 265 rear. The dollar-to-yen is absolutely atrocious right now, so buying from the US is much more cost efficient. Buying a nice used set is preferred.

Now, on to the other car, the Wagon R. Honestly this thing is a lot more fun than I had anticipated. It is a "Kei" car, which is a class of small cars limited to 667cc. This one is a turbo'ed 3 cylinder with an 8k redline. I think it weighs somewhere around 1800 lbs, so it scoots around pretty well. It's like a Mini Cooper, except it has a lot of interior room and isn't for faggots (zing!). I'd love to put a quality suspension on there and boost the hell out of it, but the wife would not like it. Oh well, it's still fun and a fill-up costs me $12 bucks.

Now, the pics:

·
A Dog who can Computer
1,963 Posts
awesome! May I ask what you are doing in Japan and whereabouts? Someday I will be over there...

·
Who's the Master?!
4,072 Posts
Sweet! That Chaser is mighty clean Denrollio! Too bad we never got them over here.

·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome! May I ask what you are doing in Japan and whereabouts? Someday I will be over there...

I'm down south in Kyushu. We have a Navy base in a city called Sasebo. That's also what I do. It is totally beautiful down here, also. Lots of mountains and scenic coastline.

interesting car, didnt know there was a 1jz vvti.
Ha, I didn't either. After checking the Wiki, Toyota went the single turbo route when it added VVTi. Whatever they did, it worked. I was expecting a slightly less-gutsy version of the 2JZ, but this one works just fine.

Sweet! That Chaser is mighty clean Denrollio! Too bad we never got them over here.
Definitely is too bad they stopped with the Cressida. This current one (JZX100) is two generations past the last one offered in the states. Yeah, they stopped exporting to the US just as the cars were getting good.

Thanks for the props!:bigthumb:

·
2j GT4294 stickersadd20hp
1,594 Posts
are you going to bring the chaser back to the states ??

It kinda looks like the Acura TL

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
thx for the pics and review.:bigthumb:

·
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that's true and false. There is a very limited number of cars that can feasibly be imported. As we all know, the Supra is not one of those and I am assuming the Chaser is, too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts