Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday around 1:30pm I was in a front end collision with another car in my MK3 :( . I was on the way back home from picking my room mate up from work and this guy in his 2000 Volvo V40 decieded to pull out infront of me...I tried to swerve out the way to avoid the hit and ended up clipping the front right side of my car. Not only was it too wet out to slow down in time but it was a 2 lane street so if I would have swerved out any more I would have hit oncoming traffic..The FHP wrote the guy that pulled out infront of me a ticket for not yeilding to traffic. Im curious to what the insurance companys are going to try to do as far as total it or claim it as repairable? Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate it. Here's some pics to give you an idea.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
damn that's sucks ass man...i hope u doing good....ur car was clean to

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Is your fender pushed back into the door at all???

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
1) Let the insurance total it out.

2) They will give you about 2-3k

3) Buy it back for $500.

4) Fix it.

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
My accident was similar and I fixed it up with junkyard parts. The other person's insurance gave me $2800 for my Supra and i bought it back for $450. Spent $200 at the junk yard for a fender, hood, bumper support, corner light, nose panel, foglight, and headlight. My bumper came from Toyota for $300 and the rest of the money is going into paint.

(I was lucky enough to find another white Supra in the junkyard.)

30mph into a Cadillac. (My car won)

The Donor car:

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
Oh, and the key to it is... when you get quotes from body shops repairs, try to get the most expensive quotes possible so that they will total it out.

Protip: Cars over 20 years old don't get a salvage title.

·
1,257 Posts
Good advice degree.

OP hopefully its just body damage and not core damage.
Glad your ok.

Hitting a volvo must have been like hitting a brick wall lol

·
25psi Bliss
1,448 Posts
Definitely include the cost of re-registering a vehicle with salvage title if it becomes a buy-back... Also, plan to understand the full devaluation of any car with salvage titles...
But, it's definitely fixable, and the enjoyment from owning / driving will continue.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
1) Let the insurance total it out.

2) They will give you about 2-3k

3) Buy it back for $500.

4) Fix it.
Oh, and the key to it is... when you get quotes from body shops repairs, try to get the most expensive quotes possible so that they will total it out.

Protip: Cars over 20 years old don't get a salvage title.
^ THAT!

check your body lines to know that it is worth buying back. cracks in windows are also a clue. but from the looks of it, it will need a small pull for a collision shop to bring the front end core to spec. did you get the car professionally appraised? usually the insurence company will go by that price. does the car start?

but that volvo got f#cked up! volvos are strong cars but supras are monsters! bring the supra back it looks like it got LOTS left to go it wouldnt be hard.then you would have left over cash, you'll be laughin'!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Guys just a warning to the wise, they DO NOT aallllways let you buy it back, my insurance s few years back totaled mine out and asked me if I planned to buy back an told me if I did that their policy was to give me far less for it,

Not that this is standard but I'd really hate to see the op get screwed, Cus that thing Is clean

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
Wow! That sucks sorry to gear about your car. I hope you are ok. Keep us posted on what happens with repairs.

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
Definitely include the cost of re-registering a vehicle with salvage title if it becomes a buy-back... Also, plan to understand the full devaluation of any car with salvage titles...
But, it's definitely fixable, and the enjoyment from owning / driving will continue.
Cars older than 20 years don't get salvage titles.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Cars older than 20 years don't get salvage titles.
So if you have a '90- with a clean title and total it, you can buy it back with it remaining a clean title car?

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
That is what State Farm said about mine when I asked about the salvage title.

I asked if my car will get a rebuilt/salvage title, they said no. I can keep my original title. And that cars older than 20 years do not get rebuilt/salvage titles.

But it may vary from state to state, so check with your state's laws.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts