Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my mom got her new car this year i finally was given a car to drive which was her 1993 toyota camry LE....but i wanted a new project and fun car so I just picked up this thing a few weeks ago so I decided to start postin on this forum...

this car was a getting into college present from me, to me, and it cost 1500 dollars (im poor!) so be gentle, I know it's not nearly as nice as pretty much all of the other cars on here...

here she goes...

front...I need to fix the sagging headlight.

back...

hooray for low miles

4age love

stripped for cleaning...

and again

body shot

a CD player (not even my camry has one!)

finally my new armrest...

yes..this is the old shift boot. looks like a dead maimed bat. I am sewing a new one...

so far I have really only been working on the interior...which is almost done. I found the interior, aside from the TON of dog hair, was really nice...and although it took me countless hours I am pretty much done. I made a new armrest and am working on the shift boot, once I get the dome light which is missing it should be done.

as far as the engine...all it really needs is a good tune up. the oil drain bolt was extremely overtorqued or something and I couldn't get it off to save my life, on top of that the metal was soft and got stripped to hell despite all my efforts to save it. It will be recieving some seafoam treatment...

I am trying to keep the work done to this car really really low cost, I'm really just trying to keep it running smoothly with no huge mods...although it is hard stopping myself! But because I don't know much of the history of this car and how it was kept I don't think its a good foundation for big $$ mods...

BTW...its always fun playing the "see what the previous owners left behind" game...

so far i have seen:

1. if you fold down the drivers side sun visor you will see where someone wrote "I LUV YOU!" in pen...

2. the trunk opening mechanism was broken, I fixed it and along with a pass. side wheel well full of water found a book entitled "a guide to sexual inadequecy"

3. NO AIR FILTER!?! yes..I take apart the air intake assembly to do some work on the throttle body and low and behold it has no air fitler...*sigh*

hope you guys enjoy...sorry about the length heh

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
MR2 is a very "fun" car.
I miss mine :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
great car....I had my share of MK1s in the past.......actually still have one that I need to get working one of these days. But great fun for a first car or first sports car.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
wow i never knew the interior of those things were so ugly!

lol

looks like its in good shape tho... enjoy it, and try not to crash (as most kids do in their first car ;))

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
This is a very cool first car. I've owned one before and has lots of fun getting 35mpg and having a car that could handle so well and drive like a go-kart on the road!

Be careful, its still light and RWD so you can throw that ass around pretty easy and with MR it wants to keep gooooooing. lol

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aNskY said:
wow i never knew the interior of those things were so ugly!

lol

looks like its in good shape tho... enjoy it, and try not to crash (as most kids do in their first car ;))
eh...its a 20 year old car...so the interior is definitely outdated, but minus the manual windows it has more features than the 93 camry i drive.

this is really my second car...ive been driving for a year and half now...no tickets or accidents but i keep my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PhoeniXDownVII said:
This is a very cool first car. I've owned one before and has lots of fun getting 35mpg and having a car that could handle so well and drive like a go-kart on the road!

Be careful, its still light and RWD so you can throw that ass around pretty easy and with MR it wants to keep gooooooing. lol
thanks for the advice, ill stick to it.

although I shouldn't have a problem with losing control if it if I never get it out of my garage! hah. my goal is to get everything taken care of by june. it runs fine mechanically but I want to take care of all the little quirks before I get it out on the road that way I can just have fun and drive it instead of constantly having to fix things...

·
Brevity is our fortune...
805 Posts
Good luck, those cars run for an aeon...

S

·
0 Posts
Mr. NgUyEn said:

yes..this is the old shift boot. looks like a dead maimed bat. I am sewing a new one...
Hehe..
1. if you fold down the drivers side sun visor you will see where someone wrote "I LUV YOU!" in pen...
Hmm.. they didn't love the car too much to be running around w/ no air filter.

Looks like a fun project.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks again guys...this weekend I am installing the new intake system along with cleaning up the throttle body and adjusting the idle because its a tad high...

I also got a new underseat sub for it so the interior is close to done! still waiting on the shift boot tho =/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts