594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 Stock twins, 32K miles.
EVC 5 BC
Greddy BCC
3row FMIC
3" Downpipe
Intake & Exhaust

I was running street tires, so the tires spun a lot at the launch, very little traction in 1st and 2nd gear... My first couple of passes was just getting to know the car and how it handled, it was fun.

So my best time at the 1/4 was 13.024 at 115.07. Couldn't boost past 16.9 PSI for some reason, but out on the road I could boost up to 20. What do you guys think?

On my first run I reved up to 5k RPM and dumping the clutch, slip and slid.... I tried at lower RPM and it took off a little better. What I didn't do was lower the tire pressure, I'm sure this would have had a better outcome... What do you guys running street tires do?

Anyhow... Drag Radials from now on :)

·
Ex MKIV Owner
329 Posts
Lower tire pressure for sure

and if you were boosting 20psi then you would have done much better.

You are running closer to stock times than you are BPU times!

·
Registered
504 Posts
That's actually not too bad a time for being on street tires. Break your time slip down however (60', 1/8' etc..) and it would be easier to tell you what you can improve on.
13.02 at 115mph on street tires is nothing to be ashamed of first time out.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Joe89 said:
Lower tire pressure for sure

and if you were boosting 20psi then you would have done much better.

You are running closer to stock times than you are BPU times!
He needs a sticky tire, not more boost. At least not until the sticky tire arrives.

If he'd boosted to 20 psi all he'd have done is spun his way to a 13.X at a higher trap.

Stock Supras don't trap 115, he's making OK power.

IMO, it isn't really worth going to the drag strip with less than a drag radial on the car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Also, you aren't going to gain much, if anything, by lowering tire pressures on a street tire... Run a drag radial with a tall sidewall atleast a 50 series, preferably a 60 series and lower the tire pressure to ~16 psi. Your times WILL drop.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reply, and honestly, next time I will be on DR and lower the tire pressure.

and as for the 60' I got 2.301 and at the 1/8 it was 8.715 at 90.57. I know my start was terrible, I seem to make up for some half way :p

I also need to work on the reaction time, I'm taking off to early. Someone gave me the advice to take off after the last yellow right goes off, I think I'm reacting too quickly and need to work on the timing. It'sgoind to be fun, I can't wait to get back to the strip :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts