Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so yesterday was my first time at a track, so I figured I would write an epic story about it.

The first step was leaving small town minnesota, and driving to big city Iowa, where the race tracks are kept safe. This was a very boring 2 hour drive at 4k rpm because my rear diff is switched out to a n/a one.

Anyways, me and the "american muscle" brigade arrived with no issues, one burn out and a donut. I was pack traveling with people from a L67 forum (I think that is the name of the GTP engine...? In any case they like that engine and have it.) Also there was a newer camaro ls1 thrown in for good measure. Ehh one GTP and a Monte Carlo with a GTP engine (what a fucking sleeper).

So I get there, its me with the GTP engine people and the LS1, smack dab in a bunch of huge muscle car guys running open headers and running slicks that were bigger than my car. O well I said, I shall dominate them!

So I get staged, and all the imports there seemed to be owned by some strange form of russian street racing gang that is in Iowa...I found this odd, but ended up staged against something like a ford contour. So I thought I had this in the bag.

Well I ran a 17.6 or some shit that run, and I lost. Slipped into burnout through first and second gear right at the tree, sat there, and lurched away slowly. Upon shifting into third I lost traction again, and managed a fast fucking run. The contour guy (ran like a low 16) told me something like "nice try buddy, but I am just faster than you". yes, he really did say that. So I was sad, looking like a high 19 second fuckup, so I went again. This time against one of those russian street mob dudes in a civic hatchback...totally stock for all I knew sans the altezzas. This time I managed a mid 16, once again fucking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I fucked up less this time though, and I beat a 18 second honda. Fucking right.

Slowly but surely I managed to get into the groove of the track, and let the air down in my rears from 40psi to 32psi. I pulled a low 15 second pass and felt decent about it...I think I trapped almost 100 on it too, haha, fuck me!

I began figuring out shifting patterns to minimize horsepower to maximze traction, and this all happened just before track closing. I was able, to get off a few 14 second passes by purposefully bogging hard in first and letting off the gas for a second before shifting into second. My best run was a 14.6 @ 99.91 with a 60 foot of 2.375. Honestly, drag racing in tires that are warped on the botton from being stat on, unmoved for 5 years, probally isn't the best idea... I would actually lose traction in third when boost hit ~12-13psi. Halfway down the track and my tail would slide out...fuck that. It stopped doing that as it got colder outside...don't know why.

First gear was....mostly there to make me suck. Second would pull nice and hard if it found the traction. Third and fourth are where I would make the passing of people. Fifth gear is probally my strongest in the car, but I would usually just run out 4th instead of switching 5th, as it seemed to give me better times.

I lost to a big damn baracuda by like .2 seconds...I was pulling him hardcore at the end, my trap was like 10mph faster than his, but he was on slicks. My best kill was a turbo 1st gen eclipse, I took his 14.8 @ 90 with my 14.7 @ 98. Fun fun.

In any case, the next time I go back I will be on my new 10" volk rears with some sticky rubber, instead of sawblades and relic goodyear eagles.

I learned a lot though about the big differences between car on track and car on street.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Hopefully those new wheels/tires will help you get your 60' time down and if you learn to stop roasting them at the line, you should run a great deal quicker.

Glad you learned something and definately a good improvement!

·
I'm rich bitch.
653 Posts
What are your mods? Your trap speed doesn't seem that great. With only I/E at 8-9 psi I was trapping a 100 mph and running 14.2 with 2.4 60 fts (terrible). That was all at my first track day too.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Yeahdoug said:
What are your mods? Your trap speed doesn't seem that great. With only I/E at 8-9 psi I was trapping a 100 mph and running 14.2 with 2.4 60 fts (terrible). You were at the top of 4th by the end of the track? I remember I was basically shifting into fourth while going though the traps. That was all at my first track day too.
well he said his best run of the day was a 14.6 at 99.91 and 60ft. of 2.375 which isn't that far off of your time. and with the lack of traction that he was complaining of, i wouldn't expect a very quick time. Definately alot of room for improvement but spinning through 1st and 2nd won't get anybody anywhere fast.

·
I'm rich bitch.
653 Posts
Chrisco said:
well he said his best run of the day was a 14.6 at 99.91 and 60ft. of 2.375 which isn't that far off of your time. and with the lack of traction that he was complaining of, i wouldn't expect a very quick time. Definately alot of room for improvement but spinning through 1st and 2nd won't get anybody anywhere fast.
Yeah thats why I was wondering about mods. He was running 4-5 more psi then me though.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Yeahdoug said:
Yeah thats why I was wondering about mods. He was running 4-5 more psi then me though.
and the extra boost coupled with bad tires and probably not the best driving skills equates to "0" traction which only adds more time. I agree he should be running quicker but the times match his description of the event.

·
I'm rich bitch.
653 Posts
Chrisco said:
and the extra boost coupled with bad tires and probably not the best driving skills equates to "0" traction which only adds more time. I agree he should be running quicker but the times match his description of the event.

I don't really care about times. I only really look at trap speed. :)

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Aren't our tires supposed to be at 32-35 psi for daily driving? When people lower the pressure I thought they normally lower it into the 20's... :stickpoke

BTW how do u lower/raise tire pressure at the track? Just a cheapo pump and guage?

·
I'm rich bitch.
653 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
Aren't our tires supposed to be at 32-35 psi for daily driving? When people lower the pressure I thought they normally lower it into the 20's... :stickpoke

BTW how do u lower/raise tire pressure at the track? Just a cheapo pump and guage?

All the tracks I've been to have free air.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lower the psi on non-drag radial tires really isn't a smart idea. The sidewalls aren't designed to flex like that.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
yea but its a cheap way to do it if you dont have a second set of wheels plus the liberty of lugging them to a track.

not too bad over all sounds like you just need to practice some more and get that contour guy again. ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Haha....a Contour.....

Losing to a Contour would have really pissed me off.

On a side note, you could have stolen his electric fan and mounted it on your car. :D

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
If you want more traction i would drop your tires to about 20 psi, 32 psi is what you should run on the road I don't know why you would run as high as 40 psi.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,143 Posts
I cut a 2.0 sixty foot with street tires lowered to 19psi, so it's possible.

Having fun is what it's all about though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts