Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys this is my 1st proper project so go easy on me! :)

Thought id finaly open up my spare headlamps i recently got off a mate and begin refurb and retrofit!

Been a bit busy today so ive only cracked them open so far.. took about an hour
So 1st thing to do is remove all the little bits, rubber seals, brass clip etc...

Next thing to do is seperate the lenses from the housings!
I preheated the oven to about 180 degrees to begin with then popped the 1st one in

Left it in for about 5 mins and pulled it out. Now begins the messy bit. I used a butter knife and a flat head driver (WARNING! if you ever undertake such a project do not use the misses best knifes!) to seperate the lense and housing. The key here is to seperate the lense evenly orelse you will probly crack or break it so the way i did it was start at the top centre

The sealant they use is realy tough and go's hard quite quickly so bein quick is key otherwise, back in the oven!
As it starts to come away work the knife around the edges whilst gently pulling it away from the housing

Eventualy it will peel away from the hard to get to places, then with the lense facing down cut away the last bit of sealer along the bottom!

And this is the two seperated

Now that the housing is split its time to remove the projector surround from the lense.
Its only held in with 1 screw

A bit of a tug pulls it right outa there

Then to remove the 2 bits off the surround.
Theres the sidelight bulb lense and a little chrome piece which sits under the low beam projector

The sidelight lense is held on by 2 screws

and the chrome bit is held on by a 3 bendable tabs (not very clear in pic)

Once everything is off

Chrome has flaked away a bit round the reflector bowl, not realy bothered though, should clean up easy enough!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The lenses are as expected yellowed and clouded over

and theres a few deep scratches to attend to .. recommendations?? wet and dry them out??

so thats it for today! Next step is the crappy part id rather do sooner than later, cleaning out the channels on the housing and edges of the lenses. Ill be updating soon!
Thanks for reading through! :)

·
G-14 Classified
1,819 Posts
nice....looks like fun..NOT!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh there pretty beat up haha. Ive already done 1 lense, will post pics after, but my other 1 has a heat spot in the middle of the dam thing. Im hoping i can flat it out with some wet and dry paper

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh there pretty bad haha
This is one i polished up by hand today.

Not completely happy with the turn out so im gona give them another scuff over with some wet and dry then clear coat them

·
Hardtop Crew
6,408 Posts
honestly do your homework while you have them off.I did the same thing and they look 95% better but the plastic is so old when the lights are on you can see all the cracks. does anyone know if you can just buy the plastic covers?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it isnt fun at all haha, so hard to restore the bloody plastic after they've been caked so bad for so long!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts