Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few of you that have been asking about my TL setup, here's the update. 1st impressions of this is....damn are these things a pain in the ass to work with. These projectors were very large to start with and the Supra headlight is actually quiet small under the plastic cover. Anyhow after many hours of hacking, cutting, dremmeling, and grinding away I finally have the correct brackets with holes in all the right places and the beam looking nice and straight. I have also modified these projectors a little so that I get more blue/purple color at the cut off as opposed to the bluish/yellowish cutoff of the stock projector. You can see the picture of the cutoff a little below. These are all the colors that you see when a car with HIDs comes towards you. They have not been aimed correctly, but all the signs down my street looked blue...looked pretty cool. Anyway hope you guys enjoy the pics. If you have questions post em here. And for those of you thinking about doing this...get a set of TSX projectors and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration. Much smaller with similar output. Oh yeah the high beams solenoid has not been connected yet, so pics of that will be posted later in the week.

·
11,219 Posts
Jesus, WTF. They bright as hell. And the output is straight. Will you considering modifyign them and selling them off to members?

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
About how much work would be involved in fitting in the tsx projectors? I am seeing them go for 250 on ebay for a pair.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the post that I made a while back about selling a 1 time setup like this...but after the ordeal of doing this as I've told one of the members I don't even know if I'd rather just sell the old headlights as is.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=254336

It took me 9 hours to do my Volvo...maybe about 14 hours to do my friend's Sentra (1st retrofit)...and it's taking me over a damn week of about 5 to 6 hours of work a day to complete these. Smaller projectors would probably be easier, but the TLs are HUGE.

And yes these suckers are very bright =)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
james said:
About how much work would be involved in fitting in the tsx projectors? I am seeing them go for 250 on ebay for a pair.
I haven't held the TSX projector in my hands so not sure about all the mounting points and how easy it would be to fit it in there but it would most likely be easier then the TLs. I don't know if the TSX if bi-xenon (high and low beam out of one projector), but how often do you really use the high beam. I will take some pics of what the headlight looks like inside and what I had to do to get these to fit so you guy can see for yourself. Lets just say there is still much work to be done to have these painted, cleaned and sealed....and there will also be some fiberglass involved.

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
Sigh.. I wish there was a easily fitted projector. In your FS thread you mentioned e55 projectors.. how much modding is required on those? I'm just not that handy with stuff like this.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
james said:
Sigh.. I wish there was a easily fitted projector. In your FS thread you mentioned e55 projectors.. how much modding is required on those? I'm just not that handy with stuff like this.
I actually have the E55s in my Volvo. They are not much smaller then the TLs so there would still have to be considerable cutting involved. Both the TL and the E55s are bi-xenon, and the solenoid is what takes up a lot of space. If I had to do it all over again like I said before the TSX would be my choise.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TTSupdog said:
How did you modified these projectors to get a little more blue/purple color at the cut off ?
I removed a washer that is inside the projector to move the shield closer to the bulb.

By the way here's a comparison of TL vs TSX. The TSX is single-xenon.

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
i honestly dont think the tsx will work because its too small, the lense would look really weird in the headlight and there would be a lot of empty space around it, i think if people want a good projector they neex the x5 projectors that arent bixenon, easy to work with

looks great btw

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
99YellowStang said:
i honestly dont think the tsx will work because its too small, the lense would look really weird in the headlight and there would be a lot of empty space around it, i think if people want a good projector they neex the x5 projectors that arent bixenon, easy to work with

looks great btw
Unless you make a shroud yes the projector alone will look very odd.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts