Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, Im pretty sure you guys will tear me a new asshole but i need some help in figuring out where i messed up. I was searching the forums earlier reading countless old threads about guys making a 100 octane fuel with a concoction of various materials with great success. Xylene or Toulene, mineral spirits, ATF, and good ol pump gas seemed to be the basic ingredients.

So anyway, i was in the mood for experimentation so i thought to myself,"Eh lets give this a shot, I want to turn up the boost some." Before i get comments like "shoulda just bought REAL race gas" etc...I just want to point out, i attempted this just to see if it actually worked as i was curious plus i was kinda bored on a Wednesday night.

According to THIS site, which was used by many other SF members, i learned that to reach close to 100-104 (99.5 1/91 pump and 104 w/93 pump) octane, i would need a 30% mixture of Xylene with pump gas (93 oct), 25 oz of Mineral Spirits, and 3 oz of trans fluid (i used ATF :nervous:).

Since this was just a test, i mixed a small amount for testing purposes:
-3.3 gallons of Shell V-Power 93 oct
-1 gallon pure Xylene
-25 oz. Mineral Spirits
-3 oz. ATF Dex IV

Mixed it all together and pouring it into my empty gas tank (drained). Oh and to let everyone know, yes, i reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery terminal. It remained disconnected for ~15 minutes.

Anyway, I throw the liquid death into the tank, connect the battery terminal, and started the car. Started up without any hiccups, idled fine, no codes, no BS... So I took it for a short spin. i was driving very light just to make sure i let everything mix...after about 15 mins of driving with no ill effects, i find an open road, downshift to 2nd gear from about a 20 mph roll and punch it...as soon as i start to spool, the car starts to misfire like crazy and bogs down extremely bad. Im like fuckin a....time to go home. So im driving home and out of boost it drives fine so i give it a second go at WOT...same thing, misfire and bogging down, jerking real bad, etc...by this point, im shitting bricks, im about 3 miles away from my house and the car starts to run rougher and rougher by the minute.

By the time i reached a 1 mile distance from my house, the car was missing, bogging, jerking so bad that im having to feather the clutch and gas pedal at the same time just to keep the car running...

It idles fine in nuetral and purrs like a kitten but as soon as i try to move in gear...the car starts to bog...So i get it home with the help of some friends. Park the car and pull the plugs...they are burned beyond recognition. Majority of the plug was covered in a charcoaly black mess and the tip was a mixture of black corbonish and maroon/red material?!

I swapped out the plugs with a new set of NGK 3330s that i had and started the car. Again, it started and idled fine. It even drove smoothly again. But as soon as i tried to go WOT, the same misfire, jerking, and bogging came back...i just made a U turn and went straight home before i got stuck traveling at 3 mph again. It was well past midnight, so i just parked the car and called it a night.

I dont know where i messed up. If people want to flame me for trying to experiment then so be it, but if there is anyone out there who could point me in the right direction and tell me where i made my mistakes, I would greatly appreciate it. I know people have done this sucessfully in the past so im quite dumbfounded as to where i messed up. Maybe i mixed the incorrect amounts or maybe i used the wrong materials, i dont know...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't you guys have E-85 all over Houston? 2.24 a gallon 33psi on a stock long block I make around 920rwhp daily driven. You should just drain that fuel before you hurt anything serious. I wish I could help more. What are you air fuels under wot? It might be pig rich due to the different chemicals

·
^____________________^
1,261 Posts
ATF isn't the same as manual transmission fluid...

Most ATFs contain some combination of rust preventatives, anti-foam additives, detergents, dispersants, anti-wear additives, anti-oxidation compounds, surfactants, cold-flow improvers, high-temperature thickeners, gasket conditioners, and petroleum dye.

Not sure if this is directly connected to your issues but I wouldn't pour any ATF into my engine.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Don't you guys have E-85 all over Houston? 2.24 a gallon 33psi on a stock long block I make around 920rwhp daily driven. You should just drain that fuel before you hurt anything serious. I wish I could help more. What are you air fuels under wot? It might be pig rich due to the different chemicals
Yes E85 gas stations are everywhere. One is actually down the street from my house but I dont have a fuel system to suppost E85/Alcohol components. I plan on using E85 when i build my fuel system and go single. I didnt have a AFR gauge hooked up but i know for a fact that i was running pig rich, i could smell the funky fuel very easily. Probably why i also keep fouling my plugs.

Honestly, I just did the whole Xylene thing because:
1)I was bored.
2)I had the materials necessary to make this stuff.
3)I researched it and many have done it with success.
4)Kicks and giggles.
5)I was very fucking bored.

I dont think i caused any damage to my engine but i feel like a loser for failing so bad

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ATF isn't the same as manual transmission fluid...

Most ATFs contain some combination of rust preventatives, anti-foam additives, detergents, dispersants, anti-wear additives, anti-oxidation compounds, surfactants, cold-flow improvers, high-temperature thickeners, gasket conditioners, and petroleum dye.

Not sure if this is directly connected to your issues but I wouldn't pour any ATF into my engine.
Whoops...was i supposed to use tranny/gear oil? The chart i followed also said i could use turbine oil, kerosene, or deisel fuel as a substitude. Can anyone else confirm that me using ATF was my giant OOPS?

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
I used Toluene it worked fine with me. Tried Xylene once as well without any problems but didnt use it more as I could get Toluene alot cheaper. I always used a 30% mixture. I put in Diesel a few times as an additive but didnt notice any difference, I mainly didnt use any additives.

Maybe it's the additives you put in? Post pics of the plugs.

PS: Make sure you pour in first the gasoline and then the Xylene/Toluene. I once had an fairly empty tank of gas and I put in 3 gallons of Toluene and let it sit there for 30 minutes before I could get the gas in and it melted the rubber hoses from the fuel pump. Took me a good day to figure out why I wasnt getting any fuel pressure.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used Toluene it worked fine with me. Tried Xylene once as well without any problems but didnt use it more as I could get Toluene alot cheaper. I always used a 30% mixture. I put in Diesel a few times as an additive but didnt notice any difference, I mainly didnt use any additives.

Maybe it's the additives you put in? Post pics of the plugs.

PS: Make sure you pour in first the gasoline and then the Xylene/Toluene. I once had an fairly empty tank of gas and I put in 3 gallons of Toluene and let it sit there for 30 minutes before I could get the gas in and it melted the rubber hoses from the fuel pump. Took me a good day to figure out why I wasnt getting any fuel pressure.
I see. Well i knew i wasnt the only one who has tried this. I mixed everything together in a 5 gallon jug before i poured it into my tank. As far as i know, there is no torn hoses, etc. Here are the pics of the plugs along with the products i used:

Plugs (only has ~100 miles on them):

The Xylene I used (1 gallon):

The Mineral Spirit I used (25 oz.):

The ATF I used that i had lying around, this is the suspected culprit (3 oz.):

Anymore opinions?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd just stick with using Xylene/Toulene or Methanol as additives only.

You get genuine results with a tune on pump fuel with any of the above as an additive

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
could 3oz of anything greatly affect the outcome of a mixture that is over 4 gallons ?

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
I dont know what the problem is other than the additives or some other problem that just came up. I'd just drain the tank and fill it up with regular gas and go see if you still get the same problem. If the problem goes away, next time mix just Xylene and a few oz of Diesel petrol.

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,886 Posts
25oz of mineral spirits to 1 gallon of xylene seems like a lot to me. Is that correct ratio? According to the site they use 25oz..........I didn't think Mineral Spirits was even all that flammable when you put an open flame to it.

I don't think 3oz of ATF is the issue. If anything it would just run like you were burning oil.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've used a Toluene mix without any problems, I think the ATF is what's fouling your plugs.

·
Administrator
17,241 Posts
FYI about E85...after considerable research on my part.

* You can run up to 35% mixture of E85 on a standard (post 1985) fuel system
* E85 is only rated at 95 octane, if measured on the same scale as dino gas
* E85 has great cooling properties, which is most of the reason why it can be run so successfully on turbocharged cars. The octane isn't really the big differentiator, but the cooling properties are a big deal

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sounds to me like you first have to make the octane booster using their "recipe" of:

-100 oz of toluene or xylene for octane boost
-25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
-3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

and then THAT mixture gets mixed 3:1 ratio with gas... that's how I understand it anyway.

·
Supra gone- Cobra here!
897 Posts
If you are looking to up your octane bro I wouldnt go that way personally.

If you want a little extra octance buy a case of Lucas or Torco, I have even had good results with NOS but its expensive

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

Not going to make a night and day difference, but its helps.

The Terminator Mustang guys and the GNX guys use it. It should give you a little more timing.

I would not play chemist personally - good on you for trying though

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ive used this (almost) same mixture in my Buick for years and never had a single issue....however I never used mineral spirits and always added marvel mystery oil in lieu of trans fluid to help with the corrosive properties of Xylene.
I have used a 30% mix of Zylene on almost all of my DD cars as well to keep everything clean....again no issues.

I have to agree with these guys, seems the ATF might be an issue but it sure sounds like there might be underlying problems contributing. I would limp it to the gas station....fill it up with 93 and see if it gets back to norm, if it doesnt then my theory is right.

just my .02

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've used a Toluene mix without any problems, I think the ATF is what's fouling your plugs.
Seems like you're correct.
Zee I have nothing to say besides you're a brave guy for putting that shit in. Hope you figure it out!
Lol, most people dont know me, im down to try anything that sounds even slightly logical. Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you dont. Unfortunantly, this is not one of those successful times.

* E85 has great cooling properties, which is most of the reason why it can be run so successfully on turbocharged cars. The octane isn't really the big differentiator, but the cooling properties are a big deal
Although, iv heard of this several times, iv also heard of user of an E85 mix encounter dangerous lean conditions. When i say lean, im talking AFRs well into the 18s under wide open throttle.
Sounds to me like you first have to make the octane booster using their "recipe" of:

-100 oz of toluene or xylene for octane boost
-25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
-3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

and then THAT mixture gets mixed 3:1 ratio with gas... that's how I understand it anyway.
Im hoping to God you are incorrect. If not, i really fucked up.
If you are looking to up your octane bro I wouldnt go that way personally.

If you want a little extra octance buy a case of Lucas or Torco, I have even had good results with NOS but its expensive

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

Not going to make a night and day difference, but its helps.

The Terminator Mustang guys and the GNX guys use it. It should give you a little more timing.

I would not play chemist personally - good on you for trying though
I know about that Torco Accelerator. I have 2 bottles on the way. I know i seem like a total idiot for trying to play chemist but i just couldnt help myself :lol:. You live and learn i guess.

Ive used this (almost) same mixture in my Buick for years and never had a single issue....however I never used mineral spirits and always added marvel mystery oil in lieu of trans fluid to help with the corrosive properties of Xylene.
I have used a 30% mix of Zylene on almost all of my DD cars as well to keep everything clean....again no issues.

I have to agree with these guys, seems the ATF might be an issue but it sure sounds like there might be underlying problems contributing. I would limp it to the gas station....fill it up with 93 and see if it gets back to norm, if it doesnt then my theory is right.

just my .02
Even though your mixture is quite similar to mine, i just dont think 3 oz. of ATF would do the violent things it did to my car. Im all ears as to what underlying issued people might think i may have. My car is generally well maintained. I keep up with my shit but then again, im pretty good at messing shit up too.

·
MrChewsAsianBeaver
497 Posts

So you're saying I can put e85 in a car w/out a fuel system?? But not a full tank, a 35% mixture? Just want to verify

1 - 20 of 111 Posts