Supra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
I agree Supradedupra, theoretically this shouldn't happen, but the slight variables we don't know could be the cause of this problem. I don't know every ingredient in the products he used. A simple and easy test, would be to redo the initial mixture and see what happens.

I edited my first post, but he had originally put seafoam in the car. I don't know how much of it was left in the tank, if any, when the other ingredients were added. The white stuff came from somewhere, either the tank or the mixture.
I want to apologize. When I read your original post, and say that you said "why don't you try it" I thought you were responding to my post above. Sorry about that.

I don't think it's the Sea Foam either. Sea Foam is simply naptha (petroleum ether), water, and isopropyl alcohol (to keep the water emulsified). Xylene is slightly soluble in water (~200 mg/L in the para form), but is very soluble in alcohols. So, again, I don't think it's the Sea Foam.

Out of curiosity, was there any iron oxide inside the gas tank when you dropped it?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Out of curiosity, was there any iron oxide inside the gas tank when you dropped it?
To answer your question, there was a slight, very slight at that, build up of a rusty film on some spots of the gas tank. I didnt think anything of it because one, it was an extremely small and inconspicuous amount and two, it was very slight and it was easy to clean. All i did was wipe down the entire tank inside with a few towels and it all came right off.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Damn, Zeeshaun! Hope you get it all figured out soon!

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
like I said. I'd find an off the shelf product that breaks up and dissolves that waxy substance, and try and run that through. Otherwise I agree with some of the people here, about buildup in the injectors etc.

Maybe take em out and have them cleaned professionally? Try running something through that line to make sure you have no hardening deposits in it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Damn, Zeeshaun! Hope you get it all figured out soon!
Lol Harold, looks like i fucked up pretty good this time. Its ok though, shit happens.
like I said. I'd find an off the shelf product that breaks up and dissolves that waxy substance, and try and run that through. Otherwise I agree with some of the people here, about buildup in the injectors etc.

Maybe take em out and have them cleaned professionally? Try running something through that line to make sure you have no hardening deposits in it.
I would like to run something through the system that would dissolve the gunk but i dont know what product to use. As one may be able to guess, apparently im not very chemically inclined. Is there any specific product that you recommend, or will any ol fuel injector cleaner work such as seafoam, bg44, etc?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Ok so wierd thing happened today.

I remembered that when i tried to start my car recently, it would it erratically, bog, etc then after a few seconds the car would die. I also remember that i could hear a "sloshing" of fluids sound in my tank. So a lightbulb went off in my head...maybe im still low on gas, i only did put in about 1.5 gallons in the freshly cleaned empty tank (i only had a 1.5 gallon jug empty at the moment).

Anyway, i run down to gas station in my GS and fill up another 5 gallon jug with fresh 93. I come home, throw it in the tank, and i proceed to start the car. Sure enough, the car started right up. I could no longer hear the "sloshing" sound from the tank and the car idled great.

So i let the car warm up and timidly took it around the block real quick...and the car drove great, it was very smooth, sounded good, no smoke, no BS...UNTILL i tried to boost. Thats where i got bitch slapped. before i go home, i decided to try and see if the car would boost normally since everything seemed to be in order.

Im in 2nd gear, i cruising at 20 and slowly creep (or try to) into boost. As soon i try to go WOT, car just doesnt want to go anywhere. It kind of hard to explain. It didnt make any noise, it didnt pop or smoke, it just kinda "ran outta air". I know it probably doesnt make sense but basically, i punch in and where im suposed to be in boost or start boost in the powerband, i have nothing, no power, no acceleration, nothing. Fucking wierd. I dont have a wideband hooked up, now i wish i did. I have no idea if im running lean or rich.

No, i dont have any boost leaks, that i know for a fact. Its not a MAF related issue since my motor is still running off the map sensor. I dont think the injectors are clogged since my car idles and drove fine after i put in a proper amount of gas. So now im stumped again. I dont know what the hell is going on.

EDIT: Ok so the gears in my head were turning for a bit while i was sitting here stumped and i thought about my ECU reset that i "thought" i did when i originally put in that xylene shit. From what iv been now reading around on the net, the ECU generally take about 30-60 minutes to reset?! Sometimes even a full day?! All i did was disconnect the (-) battery terminal for about 10-15 mins then put it back on. But now that i think about it, my radio stations did not reset or anything. So if im on the right track, that means that my ECU didnt reset?! Right?

Now im starting to wonder how long that flaky coconut white skeet looking shit was sitting in the tank. Maybe it was the outcome of the xylene, or maybe its been sitting on the tank ever since i Seafomed my car a few months back. Eitherway maybe my car started acting up due to not resetting properly. I dunno...

Either way, i went ahead and disconnected both my (+) (-) battery terminals this time and went ahead and pulled the main EFI fuse. Let the car chillax for about 1 hour before i reconnected everything. In the meantime, i pulled my primary O2 sensor thinking maybe i fucked it up with all that xylene. Snice my plugs were covered in carbon buildup maybe my O2 was too, i ended up being right, my O2 did have a slight buildup of carbon on it. Anyway, i swapped it out for used but known working one. 1 hour passes, i put everything back together, battery cable, EFI fuse, O2, start the car, drive it around and.....................nothing, same thing. Car doesnt want to boost. Honestly it feel like its running so rich that its just bogging the car down under boost. Even my exhaust smells like fuel...and this time, i noting slight white puffs on when i let the car idle for about 10 minutes after driving it. Oh how i wish i had an AFR gauge...i ordered one though...better late than never.

I sadly brought the car home more frustrated than ever...but before i shut it off, i checked my radio stations and they were still all there in memory!!! So im guessing i still didnt do a proper ECU reset. So before i went in the house, i again, disconnected (+) (-) battey terminals, EFI fuses, and this time, i disconnected my ECU completely from the harness, i pumped my brake pedal a few times, lol, whatever i could think of and now i plan on leaving everything alone like this till tomorrow morning. We will see what happens then. One thing i do know is that i do not have a clog anywhere in my fuel system. Im suspecting that im running way rich...but i have no clue why. Maybe its the new unclogged pump and filter, who knows. I sure as hell dont.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
I've always been told to pump the break pedal a few times to ensure the capacitors in the ecu fully discharge, or something.

You say it's not your MAF and that you are running on a MAP sensor. Do SC300's just not have MAFs or are you running a MAP Ecu or something? I'd be curious to know what your wideband reads, but a dyno tune/street tune with a wideband and a tuner would let you know if it's something more than simply "my ecu needs to reset."

And for what it's worth, leaded fuels foul O2 sensors and clog catalytic converters. Xylene is unleaded :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I've always been told to pump the break pedal a few times to ensure the capacitors in the ecu fully discharge, or something.

You say it's not your MAF and that you are running on a MAP sensor. Do SC300's just not have MAFs or are you running a MAP Ecu or something? I'd be curious to know what your wideband reads, but a dyno tune/street tune with a wideband and a tuner would let you know if it's something more than simply "my ecu needs to reset."

And for what it's worth, leaded fuels foul O2 sensors and clog catalytic converters. Xylene is unleaded :)
My SC has a JDM GTE motor in it so its using the factory JDM map sensor that it came with. Im running a Blitz Access ECU, not the Map ECU. Last time i went to the dyno, when the car was running fine, my AFRs were in the mid 12s under WOT. But the dyno was done before i put in the Blitz ECU or before i changed my fuel filter/pump, etc...so i dont think thats reliable information. Ill just have to wait untill i get UEGO. Im not running any cats at all, straight turbo back exhaust and i had a feeling i may have fouled out my O2 so i changed it out.

I may have found a clue a few mins ago. I got antsy so i put the car back together and it wouldnt start. I noticed my fuel pump wasnt turning on. So i got real mad and punched the steering wheel. I sat around a cussed for a good 1-2 minutes. When i finally ran out of words, i tried to start the car again, i heard the fuel pump turn on, and sure enough, the car fired right up...to be sure, i swapped out my EFI main relay and my 20A EFI fuse to be safe. Still no boost. Could it be that my fuel pump is faulty, intermittently dying, etc? Man.......i dunno whats going on.

Honestly, im trying very hard to remain optomistic about my SC300. I love my car. Its been really good to me for the past few years, but im really starting to get fed up with this non sense. Im usually a very easy going patient guy but at this point, im so fed up, i dont even want to look at it...

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,887 Posts
If you think about this a little more, what ever you put into the tank could have cause those white parts to form out of the existing fuel in the system with what ever addative you put in the tank.

If that theory is correct they would form everywhere in the fuel system including after the filter, meaning that you have a bunch of that stuff in the fuel injectors or on the screens of the fuel injectors.

I would pull the rail, injectors, and have them cleaned. then push some fuel through the system without the rail on the car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Any luck bro?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would start by using a FP gauge to be sure your just not losing fuel pressure? If that doesn't work plan B:

look into to cleaning and flow testing the whole system (injectors etc). And then throw on a different working pump. Seems maybe the junk is still flowing in there be certain its all out.

·
Administrator
17,241 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,152 Posts
That mess looks like the paper in the fuel filter....

could the mineral oil break down the paper and make it gum up?

I've NEVER used mineral oil in my setups only a capful of ATF per 1L of xylene.

Never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Any luck bro?
No bro, its been pretty crazy at work lately and its been taking almost all of my focus lately. I could go out and wrench right now but im pooped and desperately need some R&R. I plan on get cracking first thing Saturday morning.
I would start by using a FP gauge to be sure your just not losing fuel pressure? If that doesn't work plan B:

look into to cleaning and flow testing the whole system (injectors etc). And then throw on a different working pump. Seems maybe the junk is still flowing in there be certain its all out.
When you say "look into cleaning and flow testing" what exactly to you recommend? Iv used Seafoam in the past but i dont know if this will help or not. I dont want to dump other chemicals in the tank that will potentially more harm than good. Im going to replace the rail and injector if thats what your sayin.
That mess looks like the paper in the fuel filter....

could the mineral oil break down the paper and make it gum up?

I've NEVER used mineral oil in my setups only a capful of ATF per 1L of xylene.

Never had any problems.
Its not paper from the fuel filter. I check the old one with a small LED light and it still looks intact inside. I was given a clue from a forum member through PM that the "white waxy substance" is parafin wax that has somehow leeched from the ATF that i put in the tank. Iv never heard of parafin wax so i dont know what to think of that.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts