Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,887 Posts
If it is way then it will melt, put in in the hot sun and see if melts. It doesnt really matter though, if it formed in the fuel tank it probably formed in the fuel rail so everything needs to come off and be cleaned.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I have nothing to contribute to the original topic. But. You need to throughly clean your tank, lines, rail and replace filters. Also need to pull the injectors and have them serviced

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
I have nothing to contribute to the original topic. But. You need to throughly clean your tank, lines, rail and replace filters. Also need to pull the injectors and have them serviced
I have already throroughly cleaned/replaced everything pertaining to the fuel system except the rail/injectors. I plan on knocking out that last step tomorrow.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
someone put mash potato's in your gas tank!

I would take the filter of the pump, run it without the filter on for about 5min. Throw some sea foam in there, run it again. THEN, replace the injectors.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Let me know if you need any help.
Will do, thanks bro.
how much ATF are you using?

I was using Dexron 3 and only 1 Capful per L of xylene.
I used 3 oz. of Dex IV.
someone put mash potato's in your gas tank!

I would take the filter of the pump, run it without the filter on for about 5min. Throw some sea foam in there, run it again. THEN, replace the injectors.
Meh, i got tired of messing around with stock parts so im going to be upgrading a few parts here and there...:nervous:

Ill update the thread as i move along.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why do you think your car cannot support e-85? My car is a 1989 model and I have been running it for 2 years no problem from it so far and I never replaced anything but the fuel filter.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
fascinating thread

serious gas tank dandruff

hopefully head and shoulders cleared it up.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Any Updates?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im confident my PM to you is correct.

Not sure how you did it as Im not a chem major.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin
You are correct, sir. The white crap is a paraffinic wax. It came from the 'Low Odor' Mineral Spirits. The key is 'Low Odor', that stuff will precipitate wax if you look at it wrong.

2 types of hydrocarbons, straight, and round. Straight are called 'aliphatic', and is your majority of gasoline, naptha, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel, bunker fuel, paraffin, etc.

Round is 'aromatic' (also 'cycloalkane: https://socratic.org/questions/how-does-an-aromatic-hydrocarbon-differ-from-a-cycloalkane), and is your benzene, toluene, xylene, etc. Aromatics have higher octane generally, and more health risk than aliphatics. They also tend to be better solvents since the molecule is smaller for the same number of carbon atoms (less hydrogen, and a round molecule).

I would stay away from ATF. It is made of longer chain hydrocarbons, so very low octane. I don't know what additive package they use, and it may form ash during combustion (a small amount probably won't hurt). It is also less flammable, so won't burn completely, and will foul plugs, etc. If you want lubricity in the fuel I would use either 'normal' mineral oil, or an ashless dispersant oil for aircraft, as it is designed to be burned. Typically oil will lower the octane by a bit, and burn dirty, so you don't want much of it. Diesels have a 'cetane' scale, which is the inverse of octane. Oils tend to have high cetane / low octane numbers. Think longer hydrocarbon = lower octane, more branched (less straight) = higher octane.

Cetane is 16 carbons, straight chain (hexadecane)
Octane is 8 carbons, the octane rating is iso-octane, or highly branched octane. It is compared to a 'reference fuel' of iso-octane (100 octane), and heptane (7 carbons, 0 octane):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Toluene, and Xylene have high octane, but a different ratio of air to fuel to burn completely, the 'stoichiometric ratio'. Normal gasoline is considered to be 14.7 to 1, air to fuel ratio. These two aromatics seem to be around 13.5 to 1. According to this Excel Spreadsheet calculator at the bottom of the page (use Libre Office Calc if you don't have access to Excel):

http://www.thecartech.com/subjects/engine/combustion_and_fuel_chemistry.htm

If you ran pure xylene, or toluene the engine would run lean, until the ECU goes into 'open loop' / warms up, where it will adjust the ratio on the fly. My older GM (1997, non flex fuel) could run about 2/3 e85 no problem, without any adjustment.

It was probably the ethanol in the fuel that caused the wax to precipitate out of the low odor mineral spirits. I realize this thread is rather old, but you could probably clean the wax out using a high percentage of xylene, or toluene, with normal pump gas. Since Ethanol has oxygen in it won't dissolve paraffin practically at all, and it probably doesn't take much of an oxygenate (Methanol, Ethanol, MTBE, ETBE, etc.) to 'take up the space' between molecules, and push the wax out of solution.

Acetone will probably eat the rubber, or plastic parts in the fuel system. I would guess that xylene / toluene would be safe enough, if you just wired the fuel pump to run continusously with the vehicle off for 1/2 hr or so, it should dissolve all of the wax into suspension, and offset it's low octane. If you ran that mixture I would change the oil afterwards to keep engine wear down. You might still need to flush the injectors with a solvent to clean them out too (or use a bit of heat).

A saved version of Shell's 93 octane msds states they limit oxygenates to 2.7% total, so not much:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HlPAaFUeI_MJ:www.shell.com/business-customers/trading-and-supply/trading/trading-material-safety-data-sheets/_jcr_content/par/expandablelist/expandablesection_1281440862.stream/1447429558782/cf3b20a37cb5dc4d7acc21d3a9f6718addff6e9fd209160236f1d07fc5c6a99c/mogas-gasoline-blend-sietco-en.pdf+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It is worth mentioning that most fuel throughout the US contains 10% ethanol minimum now, so would likely precipate the wax very quickly.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Ten years after the creation of the thread, a detailed answer is given.

·
Administrator
8,577 Posts
The reply is so random and complete it seems like a bot just posted that. Also that account was flagged for multiple user names...so sorry for not divulging I could really care less about the bump...the bump was beautiful.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts