Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 527 Posts

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My insane "some mods that led to a fully built, all subframe off restoration" build!

Hi guys. My name is Rick. I've owned the supra for a long time now. This thread is long overdue and its time to let it rip. My current build is in progress and includes a fully built motor, big turbo, proefi, custom milspec harness, 6spd swap, and a complete "all subframe off" restoration. This current build started with a blown single turbo, which could have just been rebuilt, and spiraled into what it is now.

It started out as a stock black auto tt with act wheels and yellow painted calipers. This quickly changed. I maxed the stock turbos out with a gforce ecu, hks vpc, apexi safc, greddy profec b, greddy 3 row fmic, rmm dp, hks carbon to exhaust, and some other misc mods. I converted the turbos into ttc mode. I eventually went with a boostlogic built auto and a pi 3600 stall. With this setup I was running consistent 11.2 - 11.3s @ 118ish in the 1/4 mile. This was at about 19psi. I was happy, but as we all do, needed more! I installed a boostlogic 67mm kit along with a boostlogic fuel system next. I also installed a jun replica intake manifold, along with a s&w 6 point roll cage with swingouts. On this setup, I was running consistent 10.0 - 10.2s @ 135ish in the 1/4 mile. This was at about 28psi. During all this, as I was still into body kits and custom mods from my car club days, I installed a stillen front, veilside sideskirts and rear, modellista designs "top secret replica" hood, and an rmm spoiler. I had also put a set of 19' hp design evo wheels. Unfortunately I don't have many pics besides ones taken with an actual camera of the car like this, but you guys know what this stuff looks like. Here are the only 3 I have on the computer...

Here is where I started ripping into the car and really starting customizing it. Now, as you will see, this was only part 1 of my build. Many things have changed with the build i have going on now, but you will see that later. I used to live in PA and the following was all done at my buddy Kenton's Show Stopper Customs body shop there. I then moved to NC, where I'm at now, and the car was literally thrown back together the night before I moved! The bodywork consists of a total color change inside and out from stock black to the 50th anniversary lambo color called verde artemis, a custom "wider" body, shaved antenna and emblems, and some custom work to the side skirts. At this time I also redid my calipers, removed the abs, polished every single piece of metal I could in my engine bay, did an engine bay wire tuck, and relocated my battery and fuse box to the rear. I did little misc mods also, but the pics will show those. Its been over 6 years since this part of the build and I don't remember some of "what was done when". I have hundreds of pics, but I'll only post some unless anyone wants to see more. On to the pics...

Tearing it apart...

I bought some knockoff (big mistake) widebody duluck style fenders that didn't fit at all and looked terrible. Being that they didn't fit, we cut them apart and used a section of them, molding them to the factory fenders. I also molded the front of the sideskirt to the fender so that the fenders could be removable...

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Cut slits in the rears and pulled them slightly, then finished with body work...

Shaved the corners on the stillen front bumper...

Shaved the rear wiper, squirter, and emblems...

Everything in primer...

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Everything getting paint...

Polished every piece of metal I could...

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The paint was done 1 night before I was moving to NC. A quick reassembly to get it running to drive it home, just to load it on the flatbed...

Couple pics of refinishing the cage...

Some pics from right after settling in NC after moving, and cleaning the car up a little...also painted the rims faces...

New rims...iforged racing avus (19x10, 19x12)...

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Final pics before starting the 2nd, and current insane part of this build...

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I enjoyed my car the way it was for a while. Shortly after moving, I got married to the love of my life and 2 years later we had our daughter. Time has flew by, and now my daughter is almost 3, and I have the bug again. I took the car out to get it ready for the track after not drag racing it in over 5 years, and the turbo seal finally went. I knew I had a little shaft play, but it was always fine not going over 17psi. Well kicking the crap out of it, fine tuning in before a race, I ran it up to 29psi and it blew. It held boost still, but poured oil out the exhaust. This is where part 2 of this build begins. Knowing I could easily rebuild the turbo and be back in a couple days, I opted for the other approach of upgrading everything.

Removal time again...

Decided on a precision 6466 with a 1.0 divided ar. Also recoated my original boostlogic manifold...

Figured I'd do the head too. It consists of a full ferrea valvetrain, hks 264 cams, and head games did a pocket port job on it...

Got some misc items in between. Powerhouse racing modified oil pump, tbelt tensioner bracket, crank gear, power steering resevior, oil feed and drain lines, complete pulley set, all gates belts, titan crank pulley, and cam gears, and a rmr throttle body.

Somewhere within all this, I made a decision to do a fully built block, proefi, and e85 capable fuel system. The block is 9.0:1, with 20 over cp pistons, carillo hd rods, carr bolts, acl race bearings, all arp hardware, micropolishing of the stock crank, and all the other machining the block needed. I got the full proefi setup with every sensor possible. I also got the powerhouse racing stage 4 fuel system, which uses teflon braided lines, id 2000's, dual bosch's, all weldon items, etc.

Stripping it down, and parts...

·
Going for broke
622 Posts
Holy god....that's a crazy strip down and rebuild.

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy god....that's a crazy strip down and rebuild.
Thanks...the current half makes all that work seem minimal though...probably a good thing I do my own work or I couldn't afford the labor to do it!

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful Supra! Love how the color changes under different lighting.
Thanks...its from the 50th anniversary lambo murciellago. Its a little more green in normal light, as I'd prefer more of the blueish look, but I'm happy with the choice. At night under fluorescent lighting, like gas stations and such, I love it.

·
JZA80
3,114 Posts
Awesome build!

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wow! Usually im not crazy about wild color changes but this car came out great! Your hard work most definitely paid off!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
looking good Rick! Looking real good! Love the color.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,447 Posts
Looks like part 1 was already a huge undertaking. I'll be looking forward to watching the progression as you move forward with the timeline. :)

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Usually im not crazy about wild color changes but this car came out great! Your hard work most definitely paid off!!!
Thanks...I edited post #6 with the continuing build...

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

At this time, I assumed I was staying auto, (that changes later) so I refinished my boostlogic built auto. I used some 2000° "aluminum" colored paint...

I liked the outcome so well that I decided to do every single part in it that I was keeping the aluminum look to. I figured it would keep it looking brand new and protected from the normal oxidation aluminum obtains over time. You'll see where I permanently tapped and capped off my egr and coolant ports on the head in these pics too...

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the compliments everyone...I have a lot more to come...

1 - 20 of 527 Posts