Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's 99% done so I figured I'll go ahead and post some pics. The clock and window switches are the only things that still need to be converted.

And just for Shawndude:

If you want to see the AC panel pic in full res :) click here

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trey, I'm definitely going for unique :) Not everybody likes red, some people hate it, I however hate the stock Toyota green. It was a fair amount of work to convert all the bulbs as well as doing all the research, I think it paid off :)

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blue is apparently not easily done, as I'm told by some electronically inclined friends. The problem is the voltage is too low for a blue LED to work. A custom circuit could be built, but it would be something not the average Joe could do.

With red, orange, yellow, white, and other shades of green you simply take apart the AC panel and put in the LED's you want. It's around 26 LED's that have to be desoldered and resoldered back in.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Almost looks like the the old school 300zx's light assembly.

Couldnt you also take the green plastic covers off of our LEDs and just find red covers to retrofit?> or use a translucent red shrink wrapping material?

*edit* whats the LCD in your center console do? Currious....I want to make an in board comp. like one of the other members on the board.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
cassio yes but simply using red covers produces a pink color. The only way I've managed to get a red and not a pink is by using good quality red bulbs and putting the red covers over them. Also without using the custom gauge faces from Speedhut I wouldn't have been able to match with the GReddy gauges. The only GReddy's that light up red are silver faced, thus the need for custom Speedhut silver faces click here for a pic The blue panel you see is the Profec e-01 - boost controller, fuel controller and datalogger.

paddlenbike thanks :)

edit: forgot to add that the red AC panel is ridiculously bright. The AC panel took a while to adjust b/c I could see them quite clearly out of the corner of my eye in broad daylight with the roof off, even with the sun directly shining on the panel. Also the LED behind the illumination adjustment knob is stupid bright, it will shine a spot on a wall from 10'. So if anyone tries this project, stay under 1700 MCD :)

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
interesting in the day time pic your pillar gauges are horizontal, then in the night pics they are vertical. What mod is that :)

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Bishop. Looks great!

For your large buttons (fog, defogger, hazard) did you have to scrape off the green sticker on the back of the lens? I tried shining red LED through it, but it looked like poop (dark/faint/washed out). The blue LED surprisingly goes right through it though.

I'm toying with the idea of having the gauges blue (speedhut), and turning the rest red, like yours.

Too bad my photoshop skills suck! I wish I knew how that would look like (winks to the photoshopers in the crowd :) ).

·
Ghetto Rigger Supreme
1,405 Posts
OMG that looks amazing!! I didnt know it could turn out that good. Im so doing that to my mr2, looks bad ass man!!

Johnny

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cassio that's the "my targa leaks in heavy rain and gets water on my gauges so I have to turn them sideways to keep the electronics safe" mod. I'm the inventor and sole owner of a Supra with that particular mod :)

Shawndude yes I had to scrape off the green sticker. Then I found out you can just pop the piece out and peel the green off without scraping, then just glue the face back on with a tiny drop of glue. Light comes out much cleaner after that. I personally don't think blue and red would go well together, maybe blue and green or orange/red/yellow.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but a strange effect occured when I put a red bulb behind the bright lights indicator. The bright lights indicator actually looks like a blacklight bulb with heavy purple shades. I also forgot I've got to build a light diffuser to stop the dash lights from spotting, that and the 3 last lights to change and it's done :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My eyes! Damn thats great looking. I changed the bulbs behind my gauge cluster to red in my n/a. I think it looks 10x more badass than stock.

·
evil will always triumph
2,225 Posts
as always, LOOKS BADASS!!!!!!!!!! bishop ur the man!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts