Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At VIR (Full Course) this weekend (Nov. 22/23rd 2014) with Track Club USA.

Lots of open track and cool temps led to a new personal best lap time of 2:17 and top speed of 143mph:

At twilight it was easy to see the reflection of the exhaust flames on my rear wing:

A slightly earlier twilight session with lots of open track:

·
Registered
786 Posts
That's cool, its awesome to see a supra on the road course IMO, especially VIR. Have you ever ran VIR in the Grand West (4.1 miles) configuration like they do for C&D's Lighting Lap?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's cool, its awesome to see a supra on the road course IMO
Thanks. I agree...the road course is where the Supra is most at home.

Have you ever ran VIR in the Grand West (4.1 miles) configuration like they do for C&D's Lighting Lap?
Not yet, but Track Club USA is having a February HPDE event that promises the Grand course if a certain level of participation is reached. I plan to be there.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Way to go, Shawn. That looked like so much fun but it reminds me I won't be back on the track until Spring.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Al and Nick. Yes, it was a ton of fun. The most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

It's really cool to be able to waste every Corvette, Porsche, and (of course) Mustang in my group. The Supra is very confidence-inspiring.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Very nice fella, without being dumb what your YouTube channel so I can subscribe, I'm dee_rz just like on here.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set a new personal best lap time of 2:15 and top speed of 146mph on VIR's full course in February with Track Club USA. Then in early April, I ran the North Course with Tarheel Sports Car Club, and had a fastest lap of 1:50. Here's a video of that lap, with a Harry's Lap Timer data overlay. I've got several 1g braking zones and several 1g turns.

·
Very Senior Member
10,017 Posts
Nice. Makes me jealous! I had to lay off this spring due to health but will try to get back this fall. (You do NOT want to do Road Atlanta in August!).

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ ^ Thanks. I take the entire summer off from the track for several reasons, but the freaking heat is one of the big ones. I run a day during Memorial Day weekend, and then nothing until the first week in September.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
You're really scooting along there, Shawn. Congrats.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Nick. And I haven't even run a track day on my Carbotech brake pads yet. Memorial Day weekend will be the first time I'll get to see how much later and harder I can brake.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
^ bed those pads in according to how Carbotech specifies and you'll be amazed

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ Yep...I've already scoped out my highway "course" near my house for bedding in the new pads with new rotors. It should allow me the proper speed followed by the proper braking zone without a complete stop, and I can run it repeatedly (it's a big circular path around my house).

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dee_rz and Nick, can I expect my Carbotech XP10 pads to last significantly longer than stock pads? I ask because they cost 4 times as much as a set of stock pads. dee_rz, which pad compound do you have?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Never run Carbotech pads on my Supra (since I've only owned it a short time), but ran them at VIR/Summit Point in my 300ZXTT and MR2T and loved them. The cost is worth it for track time, braking was much better, I was overheating stock pads pretty quickly, never had that problem with the Carbotechs. They also lasted longer, I was flying through stock pads since they weren't really meant for that and seemed to break down quickly on track.

Great vids, enjoyed seeing a supra on VIR, can't wait to get mine out there once it is ready.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts