Supra Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
VIR, can't wait to get mine out there once it is ready.
Let me know when it's ready. Maybe we can attend the same weekend.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I haven't run stock pads in over ten years so I really don't recall how long they lasted for me. They were very good on the street but for me they faded too quickly on the track. Frankly I'm surprised you aren't cooking stock pads to the point of total fade; I even looked at the vid again to see how much braking takes place to rationalize how you're able to use them.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
^ I haven't been punishing the brakes too bad yet. There are only 4 braking zones on the North Course where you can really get on the brakes...and plenty of time in between for them to cool a little. I would normally go through a set of OEM pads in a weekend (North or Full course). The OEM pads fade more as they wear (of course), so I've been using the second half of some worn pads the first day, then putting brand new pads on for the second day when I'm going faster and braking more.

But clearly I've started to exceed the OEM pads' capabilities, which is why I've moved to the Carbotechs.

·
Very Senior Member
9,979 Posts
^ I haven't been punishing the brakes too bad yet. There are only 4 braking zones on the North Course where you can really get on the brakes...and plenty of time in between for them to cool a little. I would normally go through a set of OEM pads in a weekend (North or Full course). The OEM pads fade more as they wear (of course), so I've been using the second half of some worn pads the first day, then putting brand new pads on for the second day when I'm going faster and braking more.

But clearly I've started to exceed the OEM pads' capabilities, which is why I've moved to the Carbotechs.
Exactly. It depends on the track as to whether OEM's are adequate. After I learned to drive a bit, the fade on OEMs at Road Atlanta got downright scary. No problem now with the Carbotechs. (Except that I leave them on all the time and squeal like a stuck pig at slow stops around town!)

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
While looking at the video I also thought that in some corners there might be enough time between hard braking zones to get some cooling.

Lar,

I'm sure many of us have heard the "squealing like a pig" noises story plenty of times but I'm lucky since mine make no noise, except once in a blue moon, and then I can get them hot once and they get quiet again. I never did anything special other than install properly per the shop manual, bed per CT, and lately I'm hitting the leading edge of the pads on a grinding wheel to put a small bevel on that edge.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Let me know when it's ready. Maybe we can attend the same weekend.
absolutely, would be great to see another Supra there. I'm hoping to be ready by late summer/early fall. Might try to do something earlier in my MR2T since it is already setup as a track car.

·
Registered
580 Posts
absolutely, would be great to see another Supra there. I'm hoping to be ready by late summer/early fall. Might try to do something earlier in my MR2T since it is already setup as a track car.
I'd be interested as well. I've only done Summit and have been meaning to try VIR but it's difficult to justify the distance vs. Summit from DC.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It is totally worth the drive. I did Summit for my first track time about 14 years ago and have only been back once after having gone to VIR. I do understand Summit is a lot nicer than it used to be, but VIR is well worth the drive. Seems like there's enough of us in the area that do road courses to get a decent showing at one of the weekends if anyone else is interested.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It would be nice to see another Supra (or 2 or 3...) out there. Here are my scheduled event dates and clubs for the remainder of 2015. All are VIR Full Course:
  • May 22, Track Club USA: This is a 3-day event, but I'll only be there on Friday, because that is Memorial Day weekend and I have family commitments. Club membership is required ($30 per calendar year). Self-tech inspection is allowed.
  • Sep 12/13, Tarheel Sports Car Club: Club membership is not required, but a tech inspection by a reputable shop is required beforehand.
  • Nov 21/22, Track Club USA: Club membership is required ($30 per calendar year). Self-tech inspection is allowed.
I might also try to do a NASA event in the fall.

·
Registered
972 Posts
VIR is well worth the drive. I do track days in my MKIII at both Summit Point and VIR along with a friend with another MKIII supra that has always been a race car built by Dan Gurney. Hopefully I will have my car back on the road in a few months.

Would be great to get a track day in with a couple other members.

·
Registered
830 Posts
dee_rz and Nick, can I expect my Carbotech XP10 pads to last significantly longer than stock pads? I ask because they cost 4 times as much as a set of stock pads. dee_rz, which pad compound do you have?
Haven't had mine long enough to know how long they last, but I must have now done 20+ track sessions (circa 20mins at a time ... We have about 4 session a track day unless I go on a full day) on these ones so far plus lots of hard weekend usage and they still seem like they have loads of life left in them......helps to have a supra that now weighs around 3100lbs :)
The pads are amazing, have to say like Nick I have no squealing either.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's my latest video from VIR's Full Course last weekend. I've mounted the camera to my harness bar now, so you can see me, the dash, and the course. If you don't want to watch the whole 13 minutes, jump to 6:56 to see me reel in a C7 Corvette and eat its lunch.

I'm still on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, but my plan is to switch up to the new Toyo Proxes R888R all around sometime this fall.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You look very comfortable on that track. Nice driving, very controlled. Is your BPU setup in TTC?
Thanks. It's a really fun track. No TTC here...I'm a sequential fan. Smooth power all the way through with no lag. My twins are BNR upgraded.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
^ on this question of TTC vs sequential, I always left mine in sequential but my point here is that if you look at how the ECU controls that, I believe it's true that after your rpm's and load get you past that initial sequential operation of 1st then adding 2nd turbo you are then into full twins operating together, and unless your RPM's fall below about 3000 to 3200 it stays in that mode; ECU only goes back to sequential if RPM's drop that low again. So I don't see how sequential even plays into this type of driving where you'll only be below 3500 RPM on your first shot out of the pits or after you fall asleep at the wheel.

Do I have this idea wrong or twisted?

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
PS: I'll look at your vid later when home since I seem to be having a busy day in work today

·
Very Senior Member
9,979 Posts
You know, I was watching your video yesterday and the thought initially crossed my mind (or what is left of it) that you weren't going that fast....
Of course, you were but were driving so smoothly that it looked slow! Good job fooling me!
I am so missing being on the track now. I have a nagging health issue that is not constant but I am not going on the track and putting at risk anyone else, me, or my car. If it were just me, I might risk it - that's how bad the itch to return is!!
I am hoping now to get this resolved by fall, since it is already hot here now!

As to TTC vs sequential, I think Nick is right. I loved sequential and only tried TTC when my sequential system quit working and we could not determine the problem. I hated TTC - no early boost sucked in normal driving.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nick is right about TTC at the track...I believe I"m above 3500 RPM 99% of the time. But I drive my TT on public roads also...it's not a dedicated track monster. That's where I appreciate the sequential twins the most.

And thanks, Silver Supra, for the comment about smoothness. Ever since I started driving road courses several years ago, I've never thought of myself as very smooth. Now that I'm an instructor, my students frequently comment about my smoothness without prompting, so I guess I'm doing something right.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Haven't posted videos here for a while, but I just ran another personal best last weekend at VIR with Track Club USA. Here's a video of that lap from the harness-bar perspective, but this time with Harry's Lap Timer overlay. I'm pulling > 1g on lots of turns now, and if you look closely I actually had a 1.3g turn during this lap. I've been working on keeping the dot in the outside ring of the friction circle.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts