Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been having issues with my car and alot of smoke coming from the exhaust and I cant seem to figure out where its coming from. Also the car wont stay idling and will eventually die as well. So I ran a compression and leakdown test on it to see whats up. Keep in mine I am NA-T on a 2.0 mm Greddy Headgasket. First the compression results are as follows I believe I did do this test after the car had semi-warmed up:

#1-135
#2-153
#3-163
#4-156
#5-160
#6-152

Next I did a leakdown test. The leakdown test was on a Milton Leakdown tester and the car has NO OIL in it as I had drained it to check for coolant and instead found fuel in my oil. These are the results and again this is cold with no oil. The leaking air I could hear was all coming from the oil fill cap. These were also test a few times to ensure accurate results:

#1-11%
#2-24%
#3-14%
#4-18%
#5-14%
#6-18%

This motor has a little over 100k on it and has been NA all its life as far as I know I have owned it for about 4 years and it had 90k on it when I bought it. It has not seen boost yet. But im trying my hardest to introduce it to some. :D

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I don't know what your compression should work out to on a NA with a 2mm HG but you've got a lot of variation cylinder to cylinder and quite a bit of leakage....

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I'd say you've probably got at least 1 broken compression ring on #2. The leakdown test doesn't match the compression test though. #1 has the lowest compression and the lowest leakdown? Faulty compression test?

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming I have broken or bad rings on some of these cylinders would these explain why I seem to have oil in my cylinders and ALOT of white smoke on start up and when I give it gas?

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
White or blueish/white? Pure white smoke is coolant, blueish is oil.

Does the car consume fluids? Wich fluid and how much of it per mileage? Does it blow smoke out the oil filler cap if you take it off with it running? Excessive bubbles from the radiator?

Broken rings would explain oil in the cylinders. There can also be other explanations. I missed the part about you not having boosted it yet when I made the broken ring prounouncement.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its white smoke but it does not smell sweet like coolant at all. I also get a black type of sludge out of my exhaust and in my turbine and downpipe. I am also using the Toyota Coolant and when I did the leakdown test I watched the radiator and it show NO signs of any leaking whatsoever. I also listened to the adjacent cylinder and could hear air but I think that was just me hearing the pressure within the cylinder more then actual leaking air. I could plainly hear leaking air out of my oil fill cap.

I cant say too much on consuming fluids as my car has not been driveable because I have been trying to do a Turbo Conversion on my NA. I never took off the oil filler cap when I had it together idling to check for smoke. Also I never checked the radiator when it was running either however when I had pressure in the cylinder the fluid in the radiator didnt do anything.

The boosted part is because I am/was a Naturally Aspirated Supra. I am in the process of turboing my car which is why I am using the thicker Greddy Headgasket. But I have not actually had the turbo hooked up into my intake yet. I have only turned on and idled the car with the turbo and manifold on it to get it to idle and drive right. Once I am able to have it moving I need to have my Intercooler pipes made from the mandrel bent pipes I have.

Here is a video of the smoke:

http://webpages.charter.net/thomsoncharm/MOV00567.MPG

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
If I were you I'd do the compression again a couple of times... also throw some oil in the cylinder and see if compression goes up.

...looks like you may need to pull the motor.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Screw it im pulling the motor anyway. I THOUGHT I was leaking oil from the lower oil pan so I needed to redo that anyway as I cant put that damn Toyota Sealant on quick enough when the motor is just lifted with enough room for me to barely get in there. I guess while I am at it I might as well replace the rings and maybe a new oil pump or something.

Any idea how much a new set of rings would run?

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Well, if you've only had it running just a little since the headgasket job, I wouldn't condemn it just yet. It isn't unusual for an engine to smoke for a while (20 minutes or so idling) after you've had the head off.

Were you able to isolate the poor idle to a specific cylinder misfiring? Could it just be running poorly from lack of an attached AFM? Maybe the camshaft or ignition timing is off? How about firing order? Just some basics you may have already checked, but if not, definitely do before condemning the motor!

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was not able to isolate the problem. Also ALL the cylinders have that black sludge in them. I no longer run an AFM I am using the MAP sensor from the VPC. I checked and rechecked camshaft and ignition timing I think I will check again maybe before I pull the motor out. What do you mean by firing order? If my camshaft/crank/ignition notches all line up then my firing order should be right to correct? Or is there something else I am supposed to do to determine firing order? I know I had spark fuel and air and from how I set it the timing was correct. Maybe I should re-jumper the diagnostic port. And maybe put on the old NA headers just to see if I can get that to work.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Firing order is just making sure the plug wires are going from the correct position on the distributor to the correct cylinder (if you still have the N/A distributor that is). It is harder to mess up with the individual coil packs from the TT. Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chevyeater-on-sf said:
Firing order is just making sure the plug wires are going from the correct position on the distributor to the correct cylinder (if you still have the N/A distributor that is). It is harder to mess up with the individual coil packs from the TT. Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.
Oh cool yeah I got that right too because they mark the individual wires AND size them to fit directly to the cylinder. I think im going to try to put as much NA stuff back on as I can and mess with it that way.

Thanks for your help guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts