Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Car: 98' 6-Speed

The Goals: Upgrade Audio System to something more current and maintain OEM appearance and functionality.

The Gear:

Pioneer AVIC D3
JL Audio XD 700/5
JL Audio C3-650
JL Audio TR-650
3x6 Magic Box
Monster Cable

Stock:

Demolition:

A few years ago I installed two layers of Overkill Pro under the carpet to help with road noise. It was so much foam material that the carpet did not fit quite right. I decided to remove it.

Test Fitting the Sub woofer: Fit perfectly!

Gutting the Dash for Tweeter Installation: Note that the dash is loose and pulled out slightly. This was required to gain access to the tweeter location. Also required was several Band-Aids.

Demo Complete:

Demo Notes: Toyota did a fantastic job with design. With a little care, for the most part, the car comes apart very easy and without broken parts.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Dash Tweeters:
I selected components with a soft dome tweeter. Their proximity to the windshield will make the tweeters very bright and a hard dome tweeter might be a little harsh. The tweeter installation is a real PITA and took almost a full weekend to complete. I must thank my neighbor for help destroying both the factory tweeters and the new JL tweeters. I did not have a large enough sack to do it alone..

Stock Tweeter:

Breaking Grill Off Stock Tweeter:

Stock vs. JL:

Stock Grill with Glazing Tape: I used the glazing tape to seal and hold the grill in place, and then used Shoe Goo from the underside to secure it.

Destroying the JL Tweeter: I did not like doing this....

Stock vs. JL:

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mounting the JL Tweeter to the Stock Bracket: I used double sided tape to hold the tweeter to the bracket and applied a liberal amount of Shoe Goo to hold it secure.

Testing: They work!

Tweeters:

Grills: The grills had to be raised slightly to make room for the new tweeters.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Doors:

Stock vs. JL:

Test Fitting Speaker Brackets:

Overkill Foam Installed between plastic weather guard and woofer:

Speaker Installed:

Door Panels fit, but did not fit perfectly and bulged out near the window controls. The speaker mounting bracket had to be belt sanded down in places for proper fit.

Notched Door to make room for woofer:

Felt:

Wiring Doors: Used Simple Green to lubricate wire for pull.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Doors Cont:

Doors Complete: Door skins fit perfectly.

Since I had removed all the Overkill Pro from the floor, I decided in install one layer of Overkill to clean the floor up and maybe help with the road noise a little.

Stock Rear Speakers:

Stock vs. JL:

JL Installed:

Wiring Started:

Test Fitting Amp and Component Crossovers: The JL amp is almost exactly the same size as the stock amp. I wanted the component crossovers somewhat accessible for attenuation due to the tweeter mounting location near the windshield. Note the stock wiring harness has been removed that runs from the head unit to the factory amp. It is no longer required.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fitting ABS Plate for Amp and Crossover Mounting:

Dash going back together:

Amp Mounting Plate Complete and more Wiring: You can't really see them, but threaded inserts are installed in the amp mounting plate for bolting down the amp and crossovers. I did not want to simply run screws into the mounting plate due to wires running under it.

Wiring: The power wire is run up the drivers side and under the back seat. Under the back seat seemed like the best place to cross the vehicle with the speaker and power wiring.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
More Wiring:

Power Wire and Stock Battery Terminal: See the Power Wire? not really.

Pioneer Avic D3 Installed:

Sub woofer: Stock vs. Magic Box

Carpet Reinstalled and Amp Hook Up:

Amp and Crossover Installation Complete: It is all well hidden with the seat installed. The seat fit perfectly without modification, but tolerances are very very tight. A lot of time was spent test fitting with the seat to properly locate the amp and crossovers to miss seat rails, springs and other hardware, and keep all of it concealed when complete.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Reinstalled the battery and tested the system. Wow it sounded great, but there was a problem with the sub woofer, lots of enclosure buzz. I took it apart. There was a crack all the way across the front of the enclosure..

I think it was dropped hard during shipping, there was loose pieces of fiberglass and a large chip in one corner of the enclosure.

Removed MDF Top and glued the fiberglass top on with SEM:

Since the enclosure was a little taller than stock, about a half inch, I decided not reinstall the MDF (wood) top to keep it as close to stock height as possible. A thin piece of ABS was selected to cover the top for a clean look. The inside of the enclosure was beef up under the drivers using ABS.

I also installed what look like small ports, but they are just PVC sleeves to allow for securing the enclosure to the chassis using the stock sub mounting holes.

Small shim spacer for fastening to keep the enclosure level. Note the plywood strip. This was installed to support the plastic spare tire cover.

Sub Complete: The top is covered with a thin piece of ABS and the rest is covered with black carpet. I installed metal mounting brackets toward the front of the enclosure to secure it to the chassis. Just like stock, using the stock sub mounting holes.

Sub woofer Installed: Note the step at the rear of the enclosure for supporting the spare tire cover. The spare tire cover had to be trimmed to fit.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Putting the car back together:

See 4 gauge power wire? no

Done:

New Line Lock Button and Warning Light.

Final Thoughts: This project took almost a month to complete. I am very pleased with the system. The Magic Box well exceeded my expectations. The little JL amp rocks and the dash tweeters are nice and bright with an elevated sound stage. Best part of all, the power antenna works perfectly. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Sweet build thread! Thanks for taking the time to post everything! How much does that magic box weight with the speakers?

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the kind words! The magic box itself is light, but the three speakers are heavy. Complete, it is much heavier that stock so there would be no weight savings.. The fit of the magic box is impressive.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Holy attention to detail... beautiful install sir, if only every owner was as meticulous as yourself!!!

ps: thx for the sound deadening thread...I pretty much copied every step you took minus the roof (I don't drive my car in the rain) and implemented it into my own car for the past 2 months. Big difference... no more rocks banging up on wheel wells and quieter ride on the freeway.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy attention to detail... beautiful install sir, if only every owner was as meticulous as yourself!!!

ps: thx for the sound deadening thread...I pretty much copied every step you took minus the roof (I don't drive my car in the rain) and implemented it into my own car for the past 2 months. Big difference... no more rocks banging up on wheel wells and quieter ride on the freeway.
Thank you Flightz! You are too kind....
Glad you liked the Sound Deadening Thread... It does help. A buddy came up to me the other day saying "your car is so loud". Guess I don't really notice it anymore... :)

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so sweet how everything looks stock!
Thanks Kevin! That has been a goal I have set for everything I have done with the car.

That is a nice setup man, maybe have you come up to WA one day and do mine too.
Thanks Sticky! Not sure that you want me to do your car, stuff like this takes me forever! :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
wow what a clean install/system. the one and only thing i would do extra to that is trim more of the carpet off the subs and maybe make a simple black plate around the subs and to hide the cut line of the carpet around the subs. other than that i wouldnt touch a thing. sick work man

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow what a clean install/system. the one and only thing i would do extra to that is trim more of the carpet off the subs and maybe make a simple black plate around the subs and to hide the cut line of the carpet around the subs. other than that i wouldn't touch a thing. sick work man
Thank you Li.... I gave a lot of thought to the carpet/sub, but did not want to modify the stock hatch carpet since it is not available anymore. I ordered a hatch carpet for a 97-98 hardtop thinking it would not have the cutout, but it had an access door at the sub location and would not work. I would take your advise if I could find another carpet.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts