Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm... I wanted to paint my mkiv tt rims somewhere along the lines of blackopal or anthracite :p What is the best way to go about this? :sperm:

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
get the paint code, bring them to a paint shop. get them painted.

Or. get them powdercoated black.

And what does the little sperm have to do with this question ? :wtf:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
get them powdercoated, I got mine powdercoated. It was cheaper than paint and a way better finish. search for a thread called what do you guys have powdercoated? and youll see a pic of my 92 wheels p/c'd silver

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
About how much would it be for 4 wheels to get powdercoated, also, does it chip easy?

lol the sperm doesn't mean anything, he just looks cool :p

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
unless u have painted anything before with sucsess, id say get them proffesionaly done.

if you do not care too much about the quality, then you can get yourself some paint, clearcoat, and do it yourself ( theres steps to painting, but thats a different thread)

price can vary , you get what you pay for.
the guy we go to around here charges $100 to $200 a wheel depending on what you want and size. he doesnt use cheap materials, that will chip or fade. He will also backup his work with a 1 year warranty. He will even strip your wheel down if he fucks up, and start over again.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$50 per wheel is the avg cost. The powdercoat is very tough and hardly ever chips.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I painted my old rims myself. They came out good, and never chipped. It is time consuming, but much cheaper than powdercoating ($10 vs $200).

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
phone around, powdercoat price varies with who you talk to. One guy wanted 500 cdn to p/c 4, I phoned around and found another who did all 4 for $150 cdn ( 110 us). Beautiful work as well, He coated the whole wheels front back inside and out. BTW, mine were done in silver, black is only about 2/3 the price...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Do them yourself.

Before.

After.

Here's how I did it:

(1) used 3x5 cards and shoved them between the deflated tire and the rim & masked the valve stem.

(2) sprayed Martin-Senour (M-S) paint remover on the wheels. Took 3 separate coats to remove the factory clearcoat.

(3) wet-sanded the lip of the wheel (where the wheel weight damage was) with 220 grit 3M sandpaper. I did a quick sanding or roughing up of the spokes with the same sandpaper.

(4) dried the wheel and sprayed with M-S "Prep Clean."

(5) sprayed about 3 coats of M-S self-etching primer.

(6) sprayed about 3 coats of Dupli-Color "Wheel Coating"

(7) sprayed about 3 coats of Dupli-Color "Clear wheel coating." (clearcoat)

For the center caps, I followed the same process but did not use the paint remover. (You'll melt them otherwise.)

One other thing--the first wheel I sanded with 220, then 320, then 400. These wheels already have a textured finish (which is kinda nice because it helps hide any spraypaint imperfections), but I see no reason to go finer than 220.

Take your time and they will look 100% like new.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
wow, paddlenbike, that sounds real hokey although your wheels look great. My wheels were super tough to strip, Im not sure if the white paint on them was aftermarket or factory, but it took about 10 applications of semi gel aircraft stripper and one whole fine wire wheel to take off the paint.

How tough is that rattle can job?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I wouldn't say it's "hokey." The process I described is the correct way to paint and it looks at least as good as factory. My only complaint is the rattle can clearcoat isn't nearly as tough as factory, so the wheels are more sensitive to scratching. If I could do it all over again, I would paint the wheels myself and have a professional clearcoat them. You would save a lot of money over having someone do the entire process for you.

A few people on this board have seen my wheels in person and they were really impressed with how they turned out.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
i hate to REALLY bring this thread out of the dead...BUT...im looing to do my wheels and was wondering

paddlenbike where do you get all the M-S paint supplies? local auto parts or walmart or where?

also do they have a flat black color that would work as a final coat?

nice writeup by the way :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shashu that sperm gif has no relevancy to this thread lol.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
IdealSupra said:
i hate to REALLY bring this thread out of the dead...BUT...im looing to do my wheels and was wondering

paddlenbike where do you get all the M-S paint supplies? local auto parts or walmart or where?

also do they have a flat black color that would work as a final coat?

nice writeup by the way :D
Funny this just came up. I JUST finished repainting a set of UGLY MKIV wheels I picked up. These were junkyard material---HEAVY curb rash, even the spokes had 1/16" deep gashes in them.

Before in the foreground and after sanding in the background:

Anyways, Napa Auto Parts stores sell Martin-Senor products, but just about any self etching primer will work. The Duplicolor wheel paints are available at most auto parts stores and I would recommend using this brand. The spray cans have a nice nozzle and the paint will stand up to the heat of braking. I have purchased Duplicolor products at both PepBoys and Autozone. And I think they have white, silver, anthracite and black.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts