Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 240SX that has a SR20DET with a T25 turbo that is bored out to run T28 internals. It has 470cc injectors and a walbro pump. The ECU was reprogrammed by Enthalpy. I don’t have a wideband O2 sensor or any type of A/F gauge. I run 13psi at low boost and 18psi at high boost. I hope that is all the info you will need for the question. :p

Ok…enough buildup…

When I get on the gas hard the car puts out a small amount of white smoke and you can smell fuel from inside the car. It doesn’t smoke at all on startup or if I’m just cruising, only when I really step on it. The guy I bought the car from said it ran rich and that it was intentional to keep from damaging the engine. I know that running lean and getting detonation would be MUCH worse, but I’m wondering if running rich enough to blow smoke and smell the un-burnt fuel isn’t also going to damage something. Any thoughts? Should I pony up the cash for a wideband 02 and a SAFC II or something?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any thoughts on whether or not I might hurt my engine if I drive it before I can get it tuned properly?

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
I see nothing but praise for JGY on ka-t.org and zilvia. I cant speak for SR20 people. I bought a KA24DE oil line kit from them and have had no issues thus far.

Pick up a bikirom or flash the current chip yourself. You won't believe how EASY it is to tune OBD1 Nissan ECUs. There's free software out there that does almost everything automagically. http://eccs.hybridka.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
If its running rich with an Enthalpy tune something else is the problem. Where is the MAFS? Stock location? Have you pressure tested the IC pipes? For those of you who don't know Enthalpy, it is a proper tune.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't pressure checked the IC pipes, but I would be losing boost if there was a leak in the IC piping right?

I'm on a big grey boat in the middle of the Atlantic right now so it will be awhile before I can get back to the car to look into the MAFS thing. I don't remember where it is, and I won't pretend to know what the stock location is. :p

·
Registered
0 Posts
Depends on how bad the leak is.

I see a lot of people putting the MAFS in a goofy spot, too close to the turbo or what have you. That makes the MAFS cranky and the engine just won't run right. So long as you have about 8 inches from the MAFS to the turbo and a bit of a curve you should be good.

Another thing known to goof up Enthalpy tunes is that he tunes to a 50psi base fuel pressure that a Walboro 255 puts out on KA-Ts and SRs. Some people have to go to a dyno and dial in the base fuel pressure.

Email him and ask for trouble shooting help. Or check out www.freshalloy.com, tons of people using his ECUs.

How is the Atlanic this time of year? I hear its nice..... hahah

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a fuel pressure guage on my fuel rail so I can check that out when I get back. I don't even know if there is a FPR though.

Thanks for the FreshAlloy site. It looks a little better organized than the Nico forums.

The Atlantic isn't all that great this time of year. Its a little rough and this isn't exactly a pleasure cruise. I'm on a destroyer not a yacht. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nico? Run. Run away fast

Just for reference ( if you didn't already know ) factory base fuel pressure is 43psi. I can't remember if that is with the vac line connected or not :p

I have a 1996 240sx with a turbo KA, I also run the Enthalpy ECU. Its great, no dyno yet but soon. I have been on a few 240 forums for a while now, Fresh Alloy is the best. Lots of tech and a mature member base.
Have fun with the car! Plans for driving? My car is pretty much only HPDE and drift. My daily driver is the reason I am on this forum! Look for my post in the other car section!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm hoping the 240 will be my daily driver. I also have a Galant, but if the 240 proves to be reliable I'll sell the Mitsu.

I'm on this forum because the 240 is just a toy that I'm playing with until I can get out of the navy, finish college, and get a real job where I can buy a Supra. :)

·
Meh
96 Posts
Yep, speed monkey is correct. Scott Avoy (aka Enthalpy) is the shit when it comes to tuning sr20 ecus. The rich condition is quite probably the 50 psi that he tunes them for, get a nismo or sard pressure regulator, a good pressure gauge, and spend a little time tweaking your base pressure and you should smooth out. One other idea is that the ecu is tuned for a little larger injector. Scott can tune for almost any combination of injector/ turbo/ cam/ maf setup you can think of and there are a million different second hand ecus out there....perhaps get ahold of him and see if there is a possibility that your was flashed for 550 cc's instead of 470's. Just a suggestion, good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After doing a ton of reading yesterday I've decided that its either the 50psi fuel pressure that needs to be tweaked or that he possibly tuned me for a Z32 MAF (which seems to be very popular for SR20's) instead of the stock MAF. Gotta love troubleshooting a car from 1000 miles away. :p I'll update you when I get back and let ya know what actually worked.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooo...thanks for the info. I'd been looking for a way to tell the difference. It will take me awhile to get back to you on which one I have though since I won't be pulling back into our homeport for awhile.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts