Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: New pics with wheels, suspension, body work, and paint

Not a Supra, but I figured there would be some people here who would appreciate my new vehicle :)

Always liked the MKIV Supra, but wanted something a little lighter for auto-x and the track. And I've always loved the looks and weight of the FD3s Rx-7 (2800lbs, will have it down around 2700 or less for the track) but never wanted to deal with the hassles of the rotary motor. HinsonSupercars.com has lots of info about the swap as well as the v8 rx-7 section of torquecentral.com.

Previous owner who built the car installed ported heads, ported TB, cam, LT headers, etc, etc. And dynoed at 428.8rwhp on 91 octane, now there's a nice power to weight ratio! And it's not just the power, but the torque is amazing! The LS1 is very reliable and no boost issues or turbo lag to worry about, and for those wondering about the weight distribution changes:

1993 touring model 5-speed

Before

LF 729 RF 695
LR 705 RR 692

Total--2821lbs

After swap 1999 ls1/t56 trans ac and power steering

LF 748 RF 717
LR 683 RR 700

Total weight 2848lbs

Weight gain only 27lbs

All you have to do is run a lightweight battery ( what is installed in my car) or move the battery to the rear to negate the miniscule weight gain, if so desired. People don't think the rotary motor + turbos + intercoolers, etc. is almost as heavy as a LS1, but it is.

The t56 6-speed tranny is awesome and I get somewhere between 25 and 30mpg on the freeway! The car uses a z06 clutch which holds the power well, although probably not under alot of hard drag launches, but I didn't buy this car for the strip.

The previous owner ran an 11.2 @ 126 with a clutch-saving 1.8x 60ft on drag radials. Luckily, the Mazda rear end is a stout piece that been shown to hold up under this power level, although the stock rear end probably wouldn't for long if you want to run 10's at the strip.

I previously had a 450hp '01 Lightning which I sold to get this car, and I can't be happier! Here are a couple pics I just loaded onto my cardomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/427896

I'll have more pics up soon, wheel, body and suspension upgrades soon to come.

T

·
0 Posts
Nice car bro! That thing's bad as hell! Do you mind me asking how much it set you back?

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
:devil::evil::leghump::wackit::rockon::drooling::drooling::drooling:

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Best hybrid ever...and what I want to do next. I've been following Hinson Supercars for a long time, and am loving what I see. I would prefer to buy one already assembled though, rather than going through the buildup process.

AWESOME CAR! :)

Steve T.

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words guys! No heat issues, an aluminum radiator was used from jagsthatrun.com (specializes in hybrid cars and bigger than the one hinson uses) with the stock rx-7 fans to keep it nice and cool for road racing. And yeah that slim jim is the battery, an oddesy dry cell :)

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
did you have the swap done or did you already puchase it as a hybird?

I'd love to do something like this - how much?

can someone break down the costs for this sort of thing?

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
purchased it already built. Usually, completed 3rd gen ls1 conversions go for $18k-$23k, although there are only about 25-35 running examples of 3rd gen ls1 hybrids in the country I think.

People who do the labor themselves can usually complete the project for $15-18k total (before any kind of mods).

·
-=R1der=-
371 Posts
Damn sexy is all I have to say.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Now all you gotta do is slap a Supra wing on there and you can have 3 cars in one! (For anyone just joining us I was referring to the red RX-7 with the Supra wing posted a little while ago......wow its late, I know...)

Anyways, awesome car man, very impressive

1 - 20 of 53 Posts