Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can I get a test drive? I have had 3 RX-7s and just recently sold my black FD. I would love to see what an LS1 FD feels like in terms of the corners and acceleration. Im in Nor Cal. I am thinking about purchasing a LS1 RX-7 myself and I am looking closely at the Black LS1 FD for sale at the rx7club.com

·
KILL THE WABBIT!
253 Posts
PERFECT!

has awesome looks, great handling,
light weight and now a reliable engine with
TONS of torque and power.

WAY TO GO!

that sucker's awesome ;)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
You look at all these kit cars with monster motors with low mass but tons of sacrifices. You have the essentially something rivaling kit cars in motor vs. mass but with modern timeless FD style. Go 7.0L down the road and you have the closest thing to a Panoz race car. You're probably smilin like a supercar owner.:D

G

·
Wow. Impressive. American power and simplicity coupled with Mazda's good looks, chassis engineering, and suspension know-how. Very few things are better than that combo.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
I'm actually talking to a guy about buying one myself now. Would love to pick your brain a bit about how the car is treating you. :)

Steve T.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
rx-7 with ls1 - hmm finally someone doing it right! If i can just reach one person , my mission is complete :)

·
Extreme Slowness
47 Posts
A local guy from jacksonville also has an ls1 3rd gen. He pulled the engine a while back for a custom turbo setup. If you want I can get you his contact info if you would like to chat about his ride.

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks again for all the kind comments!

Steve Theodore said:
I'm actually talking to a guy about buying one myself now. Would love to pick your brain a bit about how the car is treating you. :)

Steve T.
Feel free! The car is treating me great. One thing I was worried about before I picked it up was how bouncy the idle would be with an agressive cam, as I have never owned a car with an aftermarket cam. I wanted more low end power anyways for the track and auto-x and a smoother idle for street driving so the previous owner swapped in a 225/225 cam (which he also had a tuning program for) for the 233/239 cam for me. The idle is definitely smooth enough for me with the 225/225 cam.

Another great thing is the z06 clutch. I really didn't want to drive around with some really stiff racing clutch on the street. ( My brother has a 400rwhp 300zxtt with a 6-puck, I don't enjoy working that clutch on the street.)

Everything has been great so far. Good luck with the one you are looking at! I saw the one you posted about on torque central and that one seems to be VERY nice. I inquired about it as well before I picked mine up, but bringing hybrid from another state into Cali would have been a major headache as far as emissions and paperwork, so I backed off. I think I heard from someone that that car MAY have a lien on it, I could be wrong. Might want to ask about it though.

Gman094 said:
A local guy from jacksonville also has an ls1 3rd gen. He pulled the engine a while back for a custom turbo setup. If you want I can get you his contact info if you would like to chat about his ride.
Thanks, but I think I am content with an N/A motor for now. The ported heads raise compression so I would have to replace those if I wanted to go F/I. I think Hinson's car has twins on it, or they are being installed.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Too bad you're not in NY, I'd love to get a ride in that thing.

I can't deny the looks of my FD, after the NYC auto show, I still went home knowing, *IN MY OPINION* (<---Disclaimer) I have the best looking car both inside and out. Nothing compares.

Now, what's in my engine bay, is a whole flame war.

I've had my fair share of rides in torquey monsters, but the weaker, yet higher rev'ing turbocharged Idea is fun, and so is the silk feeling of a rotary.

Alas, decisions will have to be made once mine's ready for something. All I know is, is that I'm keeping the chassis, there's NOTHING like it.

Good luck with your car :)

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Thanks a lot for your response. I'm having a tough time getting in touch with the current owner so far, which isn't exactly inspiring confidence, but he's the one who initially contacted me so I'm giving it a bit of time.

The power to weight ratio and the small size and sexy lines of the car make it a true dream. My dream of a Japanese Z06! :lol:

Anyway, I may ask you some more questions, but I better start doing a lot more research over at torquecentral again too. ;)

Steve T.

·
V,B
655 Posts
since RX7 weighs less than 2800 lbs, it'll probably have gas milage of geo metro on the highway. I know LS1/LS6 Vettes are known for great gas milage, and Vette weighs 3223 lbs!

btw, average RX7 gets around 13-15mpg city/highway combined.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
The power to weight ratio and the small size and sexy lines of the car make it a true dream. My dream of a Japanese Z06! :lol:
Steve T.
In the import vs. domestic drag shootouts, how would you classify such a ride?:angel:

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Damn that's amazing. I think you can also do that with the Miata.
I too don't like the rotary engine the FD comes with and this is a good idea. That's sweet!!!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts