Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking for solid motor mounts, and was contacted by my good friend and teacher Larry A., and Duane Upgradedsupra. Duane contacted me first and I got them soon after he contacted me, and he was kind enough to send me the ones he was getting made for himself. This is the kind of guy he is, and we have dealt before in the past. So if you need a source these are of good looks, and quality I feel... give him a call, or pm!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571789/12

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/571000-571999/571789_108.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/571000-571999/571789_108_full.jpg

·
Registered
483 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
I was looking for solid motor mounts, and was contacted by my good friend and teacher Larry A., and Duane Upgradedsupra. Duane contacted me first and I got them soon after he contacted me, and he was kind enough to send me the ones he was getting made for himself. This is the kind of guy he is, and we have dealt before in the past. So if you need a source these are of good looks, and quality I feel... give him a call, or pm!
Nice, about how much?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
those look like the ones i bought from 935motorsports when i was doing the 1j swap for my ex.

the hard part was keeping the aluminum mount lined up when dropping the motor in. i just put the bolt thru the engine pedestal w/ the washer, then wrapped the shank of the bolt in electrical tape. i wrapped it up just enough so that the aluminum spacer/mount would slide onto the shank and stay there while i maneuvered the engine into the car. worked pretty well. w/ a puck type clutch, the car shuddered alot and it was pretty harsh. i personally dont plan on using full solid mounts again. Ill be trying out the MKIV mounts this time around.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flubyux2 said:
those look like the ones i bought from 935motorsports when i was doing the 1j swap for my ex.

the hard part was keeping the aluminum mount lined up when dropping the motor in. i just put the bolt thru the engine pedestal w/ the washer, then wrapped the shank of the bolt in electrical tape. i wrapped it up just enough so that the aluminum spacer/mount would slide onto the shank and stay there while i maneuvered the engine into the car. worked pretty well. w/ a puck type clutch, the car shuddered alot and it was pretty harsh. i personally dont plan on using full solid mounts again. Ill be trying out the MKIV mounts this time around.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had solid mounts in a eclipse a while back and it was really nice at first, you get a really nice feeling for the whole experience of driving....you feel the motor, tranmission and the road all together. But...........after a couple months my car started vibrating to shit and everything (interior pieces) came loose. Just my experience, but I'm sure its not the same for everyone. And its probably different in a Supra.

·
Registered
347 Posts
flubyux2 said:

Lol, I figured I was the only one who had issues with the mount staying on the bolt! I ended up using electrical tape too.

I dont feel the the solid mounts are all that bad. Maybe its just because the 1j doesnt make torque :lol:

It does make the car shutter a little below 2500rpms, but its kinda funny becase people usually think my car has somethign wrong with it. Past that its very smooth.

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
1j motormontes cna be made so easy it just round stock wiht holoe cut thorw it

can be done lath in about 10 mins

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
you are going to hate your self for going solid.. .it just takes away form the car's "niceness" when driving day to day

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Hey Quick.. Glad you got them ok.

As far as the "niceness" of the Supra, I feel that their is very little difference than stock. I have had mine in for over 2 years and driving around normal is fine. When going faster, it is however a lil vibration but nothing to complain about.

Thanks again and thanks for the post bud.

Duane

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
I have no vibration moving on my 1jz but idling when you hit the wrong RPM and everything inside shakes, you'll know what i'm talking about. :(

I just hate solid's ESP when stock work so well (well 87 stock ones) 89's are shiet.
I'm looking for a nice street car not a race car thats where I differ from some i guess.

don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the quality or anything about the mounts just that I dont like the solid's.... It's sort of like if you strip AC and the rebar and all that stuff the car just isn't the same.

But.. :gives: long as they do the job right? :69:

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
I HATED mine.

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
Don't the Mk4 mounts fit with a bit of fettling??? I remember onebad7m posted about them a while back.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the solid motor mounts arent bad when you driving. the problem is when you have a puck-type clutch and you get clutch chatter when reversing or taking off from a stop. thats the biggest single problem i had. i had no qualms with the NVH from actual driving or cruising. that was more than tolerable. reversing or taking off from a stop with a sprung-hub 3 puck disc made the car shake and shudder violently. with the headlights up at night, taking off from a stop light, they visibly bounced up and down. same with the bumper skin. I had the same clutch in my 91 with the pre89 style mounts and it was AWESOME; no chatter, no shuddering at all. its suprising how forgiving the slipping/engagment of the 3 puck becomes with softer motor mounts. slipping the 3 puck on solid mounts makes it feel punishing if you dont time your footwork just right.

MKIV motor mounts FTW!

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
i suppose, theoretically, you could reduce your shake by 50% ;) lol i guess depending on which way your motor torqued, putting the solid mount on the tensile side and the stocker on the compressive side could work. it seems like the stock mounts are easily ripped apart under tensile stresses. i cant imagine them failing under compressive loads. ill bet the stock mounts could live a bit longer if we also used a stiffer trans mount. i think if the tailshaft of the trans is allowed to move side to side, itd add a 2nd axis of stress to the front motor moutns, rather than just the compressive/tensile forces. it could make a lateral shearing force if the trans mount was too oil-soaked and soft.

thoughts?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
there is already a bar that is supposed to limit the travel so you don't rip motor mounts out. But in a race car, all the rubber parts deflect and act as springs (motor/tranny mounts, center support, bushings in the suspension) it's all bad when the car is being pushed to the limit, but if your car is a daily driver, you have to either be hardcore and deal with it (if you don't have a radio because the engine is music enough, you fit the bill)

Dunno about Supras, but I rode in a LT1 Camaro with solids and then one solid. There IS a difference, but it's only really during excelleration. On a GM they work a bit differently too, solid mounts for our car won't work the same...

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I again think people over react. My mounts hav been in for a long time. I don't experience the headlight bouncing and I have a puck clutch. Maybe your bolts are loose :wtflol:

I say put them in and judge for yourself. I also have a cage, sway bars hatch bars etc.. which would stiffen the car even more, so I think I would feel them the most.

Duane

1 - 20 of 33 Posts