Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Supra, and it's got a pretty big turbo on it, I believe it's a Turbonetics 60-1... Im just wondering what I can do to speed up spool time? It's got a cat and a "resonator/muffler" under there... If I take that out, will it help?

Thanks,
Jake

·
I've been here forever.
2,555 Posts
What do you mean ultra laggy? What RPM do you get positive PSI? 60-1 isn't big enough to notice a huge difference between that and a stocker on spool time. What size backhousing?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Reign_Maker said:
It's got a cat and a "resonator/muffler" under there... If I take that out, will it help?

Thanks,
Jake
Taking the cat out will help. So will the resonator, but that might make your exhaust annoyingly loud.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
.68 back housing!
I agree a .68 hotside would be the way to go. the size of your current one is cast into the outside of the housing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yea 60-1 shouldn't be bad for lag. On a PTE67 setup on a friends car(exact same setup that I will be using when my car is running), full boost(18psi) was hit at 3800ish...pos. boost at 2500 or so. That's on a motor with only 120 per cyl and a stock ported & modified(t4 flange) manifold...And you surely must be hitting full boost before that so I don't see why youd say its laggy? :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
mc_h said:
Yea 60-1 shouldn't be bad for lag. On a PTE67 setup on a friends car(exact same setup that I will be using when my car is running), full boost(18psi) was hit at 3800ish...pos. boost at 2500 or so. That's on a motor with only 120 per cyl and a stock ported & modified(t4 flange) manifold...And you surely must be hitting full boost before that so I don't see why youd say its laggy? :)
Unless his car has that 60-1 you bought. 1.15 a/r :stickpoke

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, let me see, it's got an HKS EVCIV ebc and it's set to .9 bar but its only hitting about 8psi... I dont know how to set the parameters of the ebc yet, I really need to dyno tune it so i can have the SAFC2 tuned as well... But anyway, I can be in 3rd gear and cruising at over 3000rpm and it's sitting at about 0 boost... I'll have to check tomorrow where the boost starts to really pull up... I dunno, maybe Im just used to my old CT26 60-1... It would make possitive boost well before 3000rpm...

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
with my .68 p trim on a 1jz i see full boost (14 psi) ~4100 IIRC

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but you have smaller displacement and red line 1000rpm's higher than me...

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Still..........Im giving you a idea of what it will spool like.. my redline (8k) has nothing to do with the spool. displacement does. with a .68 possibly around 3.8k for you? just guessing but it should be full spool somewhere around there.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CK, maybe when I tune it and figure out how the hell to set that ebc, it'll be better... Push this, hold that, turn this now listen for the beep... WTF, this thing is confusing... :lol:

Jeez, I should relax, Ive only had it two days, :lol::lol: I love it though, that thing is bad ass... Even at 8psi, it feels about like my CT60-1 did at 12psi... *around 300rwhp* So I can only imagine what it's going to be like when I get her up to 18+psi... And I guess with anything, its gunna take some getting used to...

Thanks for the input guys...
Jake

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
Mr. Sinister said:
Taking the cat out will help. So will the resonator, but that might make your exhaust annoyingly loud.
annoyingly loud!?!?!? what are you 85 years old or something? the stock exhaust is deaf mute, and even with my exhaust that has no cat, no resonator, and just a straight through N1 muffler its still not as loud as my friends v8 with just glassbacks and stock manifolds. unless the cops give you shit, let that engine growl!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
^You also have to realize that with a larger exhaust housing then stock, the exhaust does get louder.. I noticed a diference going from .58 to .68... keep that in mind...

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
jake...your car is NOT laggy...period.

LOCK THREAD ;)

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
89MKIIIT said:
Spray...even tho i hate it
Yea, SPRAY, and I like it. :bigthumb:

·
Back to boosting!
339 Posts
Dang jake, how does it feel compared to my beater?? Spool the same? Push the same? Hurry up and come home so I can get a ride in it and help you sort it out...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts