Basics
89 Runner
211k miles
1 Onwner
Have origional Sticker!!

Stuff already bought:
Front Brush Gaurd
2" Body lift

It looks like it had a BHG, but right now there isn't any trace of oil and coolant mixing, 5th gear sounds like it is going out, and it might need some joint work up front. I couldn't be more happier right now 8)

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Nice!!

Most of the 1st gen Runner's are in rough shape, finding one in that condition can be tough. Do the body lift, re-arc (or add-a-leaf) to the rear suspension back to leve (they all sag), big rubber, pull the roof off and yee ha! :D

Also, before you worry about the trans, there's a bushing to check right on top of the transmission. I totally forget what it's called, but you peel of the shifter boot and it's right where the shifter meets the trans. 3 friends with the 1st gen trucks/runners thought they were have trans problems, and the bushing was the culprit.....

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Nice purchase. My friend has a gray '88 4Runner SR5 5-spd he'll be inheriting as his first car. Only 100k miles :eek: His dad took real good care of it. One thing though...the top has never been taken off. Is it safe for us to be taking the top off after all this time or will there be worn-out seals and stuff that will make us regret it later? :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
stay away from add a leafs. You will feel as if your axle is bolted directly to the body. You will be sooooorry....

Why the body lift? too late since you have it already, but I guess it depends on what you are after, and the budget constraints. but most offroaders will look at a body lift as either white trashy can't afford a decent lift, or poseur-ish, since it really doesn't afford you any better off roading capabilities, merely raising your center of gravity.

THat being said, you could very easily get a mild spring lift (3-5") used for a few hundred, and put it in in your garage (for $400 i got a set of 4" springs, ext. shackles, and add a leafs.) I installed in in a short day in my garage, and a few weeks later pulled the adda leafs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
that bitch is clean man, good purchase. only thing i would say is get rid of the pep boys fog lights.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sweet truck dude. Good luck!

cds01 said:
that bitch is clean man, good purchase. only thing i would say is get rid of the pep boys fog lights.

McFriii, u Ar fri-erd! (his Jap boss on the tv)

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah my plans include getting rid of the fogs def. I am still up in the air about the steps. I was going to but a 2" body lift until I had the money for a SAS then get the susp lift.

Anyone know of a good 22re resource on the web??

TIA peeps

·
Registered
233 Posts
try ih8mud.com, or pirate4x4.com. even coolcruisers.com has bunch of landcruiser guys who also own 4runners.

and stay the phuck away from add a leafs. it is NOT worth the extra inch or whatever of lift... just do extended shackles instead...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts