Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Proud Supporter of NE2K9
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I new I wanted a fast 4 door Benz. I had a 98' 740iL that I loved and figured I wanted the same big 4 door car, but with some juice under the hood. I looked for months for a clean E55/S55/CL55 AMG 03' or 04'. I didn't want to pay any more than $25K because I hate financing and interest, especially for my toys. I found a bunch in the $22-24K range, but they all were rough around the edges. Maybee I needed more budget, or I just wasn't getting lucky.

Then one day I woke up and thought of the 600 Bi-Turbo engine. I had never thought of getting a TT V12, and loved the idea of the turbo engine waaay better. No offense to any 55 guys. (I have worked on both engines, extensivly, and they both rock. V12 makes more HP/TQ though.) I looked on autotrader/ebay/mbworld and found out I can handle the pricing on the S/CL600 for an early 03' model. Unlike the 55's the 600's are more or less fully optioned out, most of them at least. New, the 600's were $125-$145K!!! Now they're down to the low 20's with ONLY 50-75K miles!!!

I ended up grabbing a n 03' S600 Bi-Turbo with 71,000, silver/black leather. It has every option but distronic.

Stock ,these cars are suppost to make between 430-470rwhp and torque is well into the 500's, at the wheels, and go mid-low 12's at 115mph! It feels quick as hell in stock form. Chipped they make around 520rwhp and torque in the 600's, at the wheels, and mid 11's at almost 120mph!

I'm sure al you Supra guys remember Marko with the white TH400 Supra. He has a Cl65 and with a chip/no cats/intercoolers/intake/intercooler pump with a trunk resevior, he made 69*rwhp and 912rwtq!!!! That was also on a regular mail order tune. With a custom tune, I'm sure his car will put down even more power than that on 93 octane. His numbers were made with 100 octane just for saftey measures.

So far I love this car and cant wait to start modding. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on development, if you care.

Here are the pics. Maybee someone can post them here for me.

http://picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21638717

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
^ i hope you got warranty for that thing. The dealers charge an additional 90/$ hr to work on the V12 turbo's.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
John -

Looks awesome and seems like you cleaned up on price :D I often thought about picking up one of these, for many of the same reason you did...but the whole "cost of maintenance" thing kinda scared me off.

Def keep me/us posted on it and since you're not far up the road from me...I could just bring it to you if something comes up, right??

We need to catch up soon...either at E-town or in Manhattan...

Jay

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Very nice. I've driven a couple of those; cars that big should not be that fast. :lol: It's a real laugh.

Good luck with it.

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
I'm never a fan of wood trim, but that is a seriously badass car brother John!

Lose the badges? Not when you have a real 600. That's something the guys with S400s do. :)

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
You do not understand how many people with S430's put S600 badges on their car.

The amount of Lorinser SLKS55AMG ///M M5's I have seen is insulting. REAL S600 enthusiasts debadge. I learned that when I was very little; "S-class or no class".

Yes it is lighthearted. :nervous:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
congrats! I'll be doing the same hopefully with the way these prices are falling.... for christ sake Bently GT's are at 75k!

·
Proud Supporter of NE2K9
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RazorEcho, I dont think I'm wasting money on the aftermarket warranty. I own a shop if you didn't know. I bit the bullet and bought a Star Diagnostics scanner. It's a $15K scanner made for just MB dealers, (and me). :)

I have a very close friend who works for MB of Morristown. He has consistently been a "Top 40" MB tech for the last 5 years in this country. They sent him to Germany to see AMG engines being built and see the factory. He should be starting up with me full time in the near future. (It's not gonna be cheap to pay him, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need the help.) I have worked on and modified tons of AMG cars myself, but I will need a hand. I always loved them and driving them, but couldn't pony up $50K+ for one in the past.

Jay, yeh it's been way too long since we have BS'd. You should definetely get on the hunt for a V12TT. I've driven everything, and I think this is the best total bang for the buck. I hope to see you at E-town in the near future. This thing will be drag raced at every mod interval to keep tight records. I work on a lot of MB's for guys. Many of them have warranties and the warranty company will always pay up for the people. The warranty can be had for as little as $2000.

Brewster, I know parts cost $$, but hopefully when these cars take off, I will start extending my cost, 25% off retail, on parts to ANYONE wanting any work done. Great sig BTW.

True Slide XL/JBoost, I think the wheels and tires will stay. I dont feel like going for $4000-$5000 for a nice set of 19-20 inch wheels. I am in North Jersey. Wheels bend like hell everywhere you go around here. The stock wheels are nice and thick and heavy. I want them to stay reliable and not have to worry about dodging potholes everyday. The absolute first thing I did to this car was slap some Sumitomo HTRZII tires on, in a little wider size than stock. They are 120 treadwear and only cost me $520 shipped to my shop. I wanted the cheapest and lowest treadwear tire possible and I think those were the ticket. I hope they hold to to all the mods though.

As far a badges, I dont think you guys can see in the pics, but the "V" in "V12" is broken on both sides of the car. I already got some new badges to put on. I like the look of them, so they will be replaced and stay on for now at least. When I turn it into a monster, I may change my mind though.

Steve, thanks man! I'm not totally loving the wood either, but I guess I can live with it. I'm not sure incorporating a carbon fiber/alluminum kit into this kind of car would match its persona though.

I just drove it with 4 passengers. It's still feels fast with a fully loaded cockpit!!!

8,181 Posts
Very nice bro. That car rocks. I bet it be a different feeling driving that car around town. I'll be all dressing nice driving with my window down and flashing a Rolex. haha

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Cant wait to see it cleaned up. And a dyno sheet after ..... :lol:

·
Always on call
1,928 Posts
congrats! I'll be doing the same hopefully with the way these prices are falling.... for christ sake Bently GT's are at 75k!
Damn right, a friend got a GT for just over 60k. If you have money to burn, this is the best time to buy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts