Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, during my SF hiatus, I received a few emails, texts and PMs regarding my Anthracite hardtop and whether or not I had a build thread. Being a BPU car, I had not given any thought to a build thread. In fact, truth be known, I think the terms “build thread” and BPU are mutually exclusive, sort of oxymoronish, if you will.

Anyway, one texter told me, “You should do something, man, because the car is so iconic and there is no one place to get an up-to-date status of the car". I have not started a post-purchase thread on the car, because I thought the original F/S threads were more than sufficient. I had posted in the SIV 2014 Preparations thread, the hardtop thread and the Anthracite car thread, but that was the extent of it. I am not a fan of build threads on my own cars because of the way I go about modding them. Plus, I never have the time, or the inclination, to properly detail the builds, which is why I have only done one, ever, as a member of SF (my ’85 Celica Supra).

Besides, once you read through build threads posted by Danny (d_boy), Mike Davis (MDSUPERSTAR), Enrique (Kingerm) and Dave Tanner (DaveT), among others, and view the wonderful creations they have brought into fruition…..well, you get my point. So, although this thread is in the “Builds” section, it is not by any means the quintessential, top notch build thread for which SF has become deservingly famous. I mean, a BPU “bolt-on special” does not constitute a “build”, IMO, but the idea of documenting the here and now relative to the car does appeal to me if for no other reason than what this car represents to the Supra community at-large. Also, and this may important to some, you can finish the original posts in this thread in one sitting, something to be thankful for in the general scheme of things, so here goes:

“You should check out that hardtop in the F/S section”. So said member HotSoup to another member in a fateful post I just happen to come across. I moseyed over to the F/S section and there she was… This was on a Friday night. On Saturday, I called the owner. He was at a function, so we agreed to talk on Sunday, the next day. When we spoke, it only took about 20 minutes or so, including the pleasantries, to reach an agreement in principle, with the most significant requirement being a personal inspection of the condition of the car and verification of all the important representations made in the F/S thread.

INSPECTION

I flew to San Jose, CA to inspect the car and this is what I found (cell phone pics):

After my inspection of the car, it was just a matter of fleshing out the agreement in principle and executing it to the mutual benefit of seller and buyer. This took about a month, but only because of the busy schedules of the seller and I. We exchanged almost 300 texts during this time period so communication was excellent from start to finish.

DING HUNTING

After taking physical possession of the car, I spotted some almost imperceptible dings I had not seen during my inspection of the car. The dings on the roof and leading edge of the hatch were clearly noticeable during my inspection, but the ones on the hood, front fenders and left rear quarter could only be seen with excellent florescent lighting, which I have plenty of in my garage, and a keen eye which, in combination with my detailer, and we possess in abundance.

I truly believe I have the best paintless dent repair guy in existence. He has taught PDR classes at local community colleges and vocational schools and has designed several of his most amazing and effective tools. I put him to work and, for the better part of two days, he worked his magic. Now, the sheet metal on the car looks showroom fresh.

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

COFFEE CLATCH CREW DEBUT

I and a few close Supra buddies get together periodically at a local Starbucks to hang out, catch up and talk about all things Supra. These get-togethers started many years ago when Bill Robards (father of Tim and Brian) lived in southern California and was the Director of Real Estate, at the time, for Starbucks. Bill owned the “Big Stick” Supra during those days, with Tim and Brian following in his footsteps with the red T-78, now race car, and Brian’s Alpine Silver Hardtop. Anyway, Bill would designate various Starbucks locations for our meet-ups, call ahead and have everything arranged for us upon arrival. Once Bill and family moved to the Pacific Northwest, we continued getting together and settled on one Starbucks that was centrally located, more or less, for the majority of our little group of Supra fanatics. Here she is at her first Coffee Clatch Crew (CCC) event:

SIV2014 PREPARATIONS

SIV2014 was just a few months out when I decided I would be taking the car to the “Biggest Supra Meet on the Planet”. In preparation for this, I purchased from [email protected] Toyota a bunch of NIB OEM and TRD parts for the car. My friend and yours, Wreckless, helped me source some old school, piggy-back, BPU parts and Evasive Motorsports supplied the HKS parts and one of two remaining NIB Tanabe 80 mm downpipes in the country. I have only a very few pics, but the list below constitutes the majority of installation and maintenance work carried out in preparation for SIV2014:

--Installation of NIB HKS Hipermax IV GT Coilover Kit

--Installation of NIB OEM Dash Panels

--Installation of NIB OEM Shift Knob

--Installation of NIB TRD Front Tower Brace

--Installation of NIB TRD Oil Cap

--Installation of NIB TRD Thermostat

--Installation of NIB Tanabe 80 mm Downpipe

--Installation of NIB HKS Turbo Time Type 1/Harness

--Installation of NIB HKS EVC-S Boost Controller

--Installation on NIB Fields Harness

--Installation of Used Apexi S-AFCII--Installation of Used GReddy Boost Cut Controller

--Installation of NIB ECU Cover (Modified)

--Installation of all piggy-back engine management parts, boost control, turbo timing, etc., onto APR carbon fiber panel in glove box

--Installation of NIB TiTek Carbon Fiber Cooling Plate

--Installation of NIB Sucker Punch Motor Sports Short Shifter

--Installation of NIB OEM Power Steering Resevoir Tank

--Installation on NIB OEM Emblem onto Front Bumper Cover

Fluids, Filters, Etc.

--Oil Change with 10-40 Motul 300v "Chrono", with NIB OEM Oil Filter

--Installation of NIB OEM Fuel Filter

--Coolant Bleed/Flush using Toyota OEM Super Long Life Coolant

--V160 Transmission Fluid Change using OEM VI60 Fluid

--Brake Flush/Bleed using Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid

--A little dyno tuning (not yet complete)

Below are a few pics of my new exhaust (HKS Carbon Titanium), tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) and suspension (HKS Hipermax GT IVs) that were installed for SIV2014:

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

The last major task to finish before SIV2014 was to clear bra the car. Normally, I only clear bra my cars that are new, or have been recently re-sprayed but, due the condition of the factory paint, and its rarity, I decided to clear bra the car even though the paint, while in excellent condition, is not flawless. Here are some pics of the guys who have clear bra’d three of my cars, including the hardtop. Work done included the front bumper cover, the entire hood, the front fenders, the outside rear view mirrors and the door pockets. If you like to drive your cars like I do, clear bra for the pervasive southern California freeway construction zones is a Godsend. “Don’t leave home without it!”

HANGING OUT WITH THE #1 HARDTOPPER AT SIV2014

At SIV2014, I got to hang out with our most esteemed SF member, Steve Theodore. Just imagine the good time I had with the #1 hardtopper on the 55-mile Scenic Drive. Here we are arriving at the dyno/BBQ-Lunch event. Good times, for sure:

The #1 hardtopper and I arriving at the SIV2014 Dyno Challenge. Hope to have a formal shoot of the car in the near future.

TITAN MOTORSPORTS ORANGE AND BLACK SALE AND TRD

Back in October 2014, Titan had a Halloween sale on the StopTech JZA80 BBK in selected colors. Although I have only had Brembo stuff on my MKIV Supras, it did not take me long to decide this was the way to go on this car. Even with the extra I paid to get the calipers custom painted in black, with the red StopTech logo, it was still considerably less than the equivalent Brembo BBK. In fact, the sale conducted by Titan was, by far, the best price I have ever seen on a top-of-the-line BBK for our cars. Big thanks to [email protected] for working with me so seamlessly and effectively.

Our Supra god in parts heaven, [email protected] Toyota, came through once again as he has done so many times for me over the years. I was able to scoop up the TRD motor and transmission mounts which were installed this week, along with my StopTech BBK. Here are a few pics of the car with the new brake set-up and how she looks in the here and now:

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I’ve got a few maintenance items to take care of in the near future, but the modding of this car, with one or two minor exceptions is about 98% complete. It’s happy boosting time for me.

Ken.

·
JZA80
3,114 Posts
Excellent choice in brakes, they go really well with your rim setup!

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
It is only fitting that this car end up in your hands Ken. When I first saw it in 2007, I knew it was something special and pretty much talked Thi into keeping it as I was doing an inspection for another member. I know you will take good care of it and at this point it is safe to say it will remain as a 1 of 1 car (in my eyes), and BPU is where it will stay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to see this Supra in good hands.
Also, glad to see someone else with Hipermax IV's :')

·
Administrator
8,314 Posts
Ken, a perfect example of a hardtop let alone an anthracite one! Your attention to detail and taste in "basic" modifications is perfect in my book. The paint looks deep and better than new. Stunning man, really. 8 more months!

Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stunning car. I'm really starting to like this colour. I might even consider it on a respray of my car.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What an example! Simply beatiful Ken!

I know we all love the all-out-unlimited-budget-builds, but the smaller builds (diy) or bpu threads might be even better imo. This supra appears to be extremely well maintained by looking at the pics (now get some better pictures!). You and the former owner did an awesome job.

I've promised a family member last year to visit him in Cali someday. It would be great to combine this trip with a roadtrip or SIV to see this car in person! I know I've promised to come to SIV in the last two years, but more important things in life came up. But who knows after graduation, it might be the perfect opportunity to come over...

Enjoy it in good health!

Casper

·
Boost Junkie
12,380 Posts
WOW! Thanks for posting this up Ken. It may inspire me to get out in the garage and get my car finished. There's about 8 inches of snow on the ground now, but spring will be here soon. Glad this hardtop went to a great enthusiast and you are definitely treating her well.

Congrats.

Steve K.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Car is looking great Ken. :bigthumb:

Apologies in advance if I missed it, but have you shared your opinion on the difference in the driving dynamics between a targa and hardtop car?

Craig

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
Wow, this is outstanding, Ken. Of anyone to maintain the legacy of keeping cars such as this in a pristine, enthusiast-owned nature, it's you. Congratulations on this wonderful car - it's everything that I'd idealize in a perfect Hardtop Anthratice car.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Goddamn. At least I know when you buy a supra that it will be extremely well taken care of.

50 years from now at the auctions "This is a Rare Ken Henderson Owned Supra" and bidding starts at 300k haha. Jk

1 - 20 of 195 Posts