Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local Fbody club rented out Norwalk Race way here in Ohio, and were kind enough to open it up to other cars.

After I had signed up, a friend of mine who owns a 3000GT started smack talking me just a little bit. Out of his mouth comes "I'll give you $1000 if you can run 11s. There is NO way you can run 11s"

Being as I had only ran the car at the track once before, and could only muster a 13.2 @113 I was inclined to agree, but my ego got the best of me. I could add a whole list of excuses here, but I'll just say I was on 18'' street tires, and the track prep was crap. Wheel hop in third, but anyway...

So the bet was made. If I run 11s I get $1000. If I don't. He puts JEGS and other assorted stickers on my car. :)

So I hurry to prepare. Added some used Nitto DRs on my stock 17s. Get the car all tuned in last minute. Pull the spare tire. Remove the headlight, and run full 100. Most runs were on 18.5 psi, as my 22psi setting seemed to still be pulling timing, and I was loosing MPH. My AFC fuel maps were stillthe 22psi maps though. So a little rich.

First run was a 12.5 @120.xx w/ a 2.3 60'. Then a 12.6, then a 12.2, 12.3, and then I can't run better than a 12.4, and my MPH is lower.

So I let it sit for 45 mins, and ran a 12.1, and then a 12.0.

Now everyone is getting pumped, giving me advice, trying to get me to pull out my seats and all kinds of crazy stuff :).

10 mins before the lanes closed, I squeeze out an 11.966 @119 w/ a 1.9 60'

I was told the crowd and the staging lanes people all started cheering :)

Anyway, it was a damn fun time, and fairly dramatic since it came down to the wire like that.

I'll post some video if anyone cares to see it. This just happened yesterday, so people haven't had a chance to send me any yet.

I think next year I should be able to get down to mid 11s. Those last 5 runs or so I was finally able to do some decent burnouts (my first ones were embarrassing), and was finally getting the car out of the hole better. Slipping from 6500 is kind of scary, but it's the only way the car wouldn't bog. I just need to get my 1-2 smoother so that it doesn't wheel hop as bad in 2nd.

Hope you enjoyed my little narration.

Howard

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Howard,
Congrats on breaking the 11 second barrier.
The added rivalry with your friend must have
made it just that much sweeter.
Congrats!
Wayne

·
Boost Junkie
12,847 Posts
Good job man, you've got the mph, now just get the traction and mid 11s are yours;)

Steve K.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the positive responses. It was a lot of fun, and Norwalk is an incredibly good track as was mentioned. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a chance to run on it.

Very proffessionaly run. Very good prep etc.

As Hua already said, my car is a 6spd, and I am using the AZ clutch with an RPS PP. I got my 11 second run by slipping the clutch ftom 6500. I still have a lot to learn about racing this car, so I figure I can make her just a little faster.

Craig, are you on www.pittspeed.com? I see you're from Pittsburgh, and that avatar looks familiar :D

Anyway, here is the vid if anyone cares to see it. My car is filthy in it because I had to drive homein a rain storm from the dyno the night before, and it was still raining when we left in the morning. No time to wash it :(

right click save as please.

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/Katie/Howards_Run.wmv

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
Howard, I'm glad my clutch is working out for you! How long has it been in the car?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put it in this Spring, and it has about 20 or so hard passes on it. Not a slip or a complaint from it yet :). I wish I knew the exact milage. It's probably 3-4k

Works great, even at my lowely BPU power levels.

It's was a little hard to drive when I first put it in, but now that it's all broken in t's not bad as a daily... though I still have some issues with some of the crazy hills back in the Pittsburgh area :).

Thanks,

Howard

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Hwilli said:
A local Fbody club rented out Norwalk Race way here in Ohio, and were kind enough to open it up to other cars.

After I had signed up, a friend of mine who owns a 3000GT started smack talking me just a little bit. Out of his mouth comes "I'll give you $1000 if you can run 11s. There is NO way you can run 11s"

Being as I had only ran the car at the track once before, and could only muster a 13.2 @113 I was inclined to agree, but my ego got the best of me. I could add a whole list of excuses here, but I'll just say I was on 18'' street tires, and the track prep was crap. Wheel hop in third, but anyway...

So the bet was made. If I run 11s I get $1000. If I don't. He puts JEGS and other assorted stickers on my car. :)

So I hurry to prepare. Added some used Nitto DRs on my stock 17s. Get the car all tuned in last minute. Pull the spare tire. Remove the headlight, and run full 100. Most runs were on 18.5 psi, as my 22psi setting seemed to still be pulling timing, and I was loosing MPH. My AFC fuel maps were stillthe 22psi maps though. So a little rich.

First run was a 12.5 @120.xx w/ a 2.3 60'. Then a 12.6, then a 12.2, 12.3, and then I can't run better than a 12.4, and my MPH is lower.

So I let it sit for 45 mins, and ran a 12.1, and then a 12.0.

Now everyone is getting pumped, giving me advice, trying to get me to pull out my seats and all kinds of crazy stuff :).

10 mins before the lanes closed, I squeeze out an 11.966 @119 w/ a 1.9 60'

I was told the crowd and the staging lanes people all started cheering :)

Anyway, it was a damn fun time, and fairly dramatic since it came down to the wire like that.

I'll post some video if anyone cares to see it. This just happened yesterday, so people haven't had a chance to send me any yet.

I think next year I should be able to get down to mid 11s. Those last 5 runs or so I was finally able to do some decent burnouts (my first ones were embarrassing), and was finally getting the car out of the hole better. Slipping from 6500 is kind of scary, but it's the only way the car wouldn't bog. I just need to get my 1-2 smoother so that it doesn't wheel hop as bad in 2nd.

Hope you enjoyed my little narration.

Howard

Great runs, Norwalk is indeed a fantastic track.:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Horacio Ramos said:
Congrats on your run.I'm dying to know if your freind ever followed through on his part of the deal.:eek:

Nah I told him he didnt' have to pay. The amount of crow he has had to eat has been enough.

We arent ballers over here in Ohio, so 1000 bucks is a large sum to him. No sense in beating a friend down like that :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts