Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove my roommates c5 today and i noticed many things. Obviously instant torque was a first, felt like i could spin tires at will, and i had to be much gentler on the peddle in curves. this leads me to discuss handling on the c5 which i found completely scary and different....

the car felt like it was on rails [*EDIT* Rails meaning: it felt like the chasis was very stiff/little flex (not necessarily the suspension), but almost to the point where it would derail in a moderate-aggressive driving; think: unsafe roller coaster ride] . basically it felt it was going to keel over at any moment, which was very scary. Moreover, it suffered from horrible body roll;i felt like i had to fight the shifting weight of the car with the wheel. This even occurred when i made quick yet short swerves within a highway lane. This probablem was exacerbated when i was in a curve and it felt like the car was going to snap. I donot know if it was his car 2000 c5 auto or if it was just me. I wasnt even driving that aggressive.

In contrast the supra had pitiful low end torque, started taking the c5 at higher mphs, and was smoother and more forgiving in the curves.

Has anyone else noticed similar? there has been much discussion about the positive road race capabilties of corvettes; perhaps this car handles different as opposed to worse, but to me it was dayam scary...Maybe somethign was wrong with his car???

My supra: bpu+; see sig.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Never mind the handling and torque. Let's talk overall quality. The C5 interior is awful, and the squeaks and rattles were enough to drive me insane. C5 and Supra handling numbers are similar, but I agree..there's alot less drama when pushing the Supra. And once you factor in the reliability and longevity of the Supra components, plus the relative ease and low cost to make good horsepower, the Supra wins hands down. It's really no contest..

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
sks said:
the car felt like it was on rails. basically it felt it was going to keel over at any moment, which was very scary. ....

Just a note:
When we describe a car as "being on rails", we mean it handles very well, i.e., can track anywhere without sliding, etc. Doesn't sound like your experience.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps. I should clarify: it felt like the chasis was very stiff/little flex (not necessarily the suspension), but almost to the point where it would derail in a moderate-aggressive driving.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
VickSupra said:
Just a note:
When we describe a car as "being on rails", we mean it handles very well, i.e., can track anywhere without sliding, etc. Doesn't sound like your experience.
word
and my take on c5's after owning one. the guys who bitch about the cars "squeaks and rattles" dont know jackshit and are going off internet rumors. Mine had NONE of those issues(nor have any of the other ones I have riden in. The build quality IMO, is just as good as the supra. That being said, the real problem with a c5 is the electronics, not the mechanicals of the car itself(more on this later). No, handling is nowhere near as good as a supra I dont care what the mags say. Owning a vette wasnt what i thought it was going to be to say the least, as I was very dissapointed with it. We sold my wifes 99gt(saleen clone, all parts, NA motor) and it was leaps and bounds ahead of the vette. Interior, road feel, road noise, power feel(yes, i realize the vette makes more power not debating that) but the mustang just had a lot more going for it than the vette did. The mechanical issues are more minor issues than problems. Rocky seats, piston slap, stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder how the z06s compare. Is the suspension upgraded?

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,089 Posts
Drove my friends zo6, never drove a c5. But, it handles good feels lighter than the supra especially in transistional movements, the instant torque is awsome.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My father has an 02 C5 rag top. It has the z51 package and I like the car, but I feel way more confident with the supra. The vette really has an odd feeling to it if we're talking about handling. The car kind of feels loose on the road in my opinion. I would think it has more to do with the crappy run flats that come on em more than anything.

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
my dads C5 was a fucking TURD! I really like his C6 but its way to refined for me. All the luxury shit makes it feel like a touring car not a big sports car.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
my dads 02 z06 is really nice i like it alot but all to his own... i like both cars in different ways even know mines faster

C

·
0 Posts
my 98 c5 had more problems than my last 2 fds.how about steering column lock,rocking seat,bad valve seals, slave cyl,clutch,leaking battery,ecm,pcm,bose speakers,svc abs light was unfixable,tire sensors,cracking exhaust pipe,interior peeling,seats fading, etc. thankgod i had a gmpp warranty on it.i have also decided on a supra over a 02 zo6 because of my last vette experience.all of these problems occured between 27 and 40 k miles.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
coolvette said:
my 98 c5 had more problems than my last 2 fds.how about steering column lock,rocking seat,bad valve seals, slave cyl,clutch,leaking battery,ecm,pcm,bose speakers,svc abs light was unfixable,tire sensors,cracking exhaust pipe,interior peeling,seats fading, etc. thankgod i had a gmpp warranty on it.i have also decided on a supra over a 02 zo6 because of my last vette experience.all of these problems occured between 27 and 40 k miles.
dont forget piston slap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts