Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Aphlux Looking at your same kit in the future how do you like it now that you have put some miles on the car.

Also if there any significant difference in spool on 6266 journal vs dbb.

I am looking for the best spool and I am also stock block & cams and want about 520whp pump and 620 race gas.

Would this kit work for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Aphlux, I want to be 100% certain I am reading your remarks about bolt-up to stock 3 bolt exhaust pattern right. So this kit's turbo exhaust-out has the same 3 bolt pattern and position to allow direct bolt-up of the stock exhaust, starting with the #1 cat, or standard TT/BPU down pipe?

If correct, that is great news for me, I started a thread with this question last week, and nobody responding knew the answer. Next makes me wonder if this OEM bolt-match is common or uncommon on other single log mani kits?

Brian

·
Registered
389 Posts
Aphlux, I want to be 100% certain I am reading your remarks about bolt-up to stock 3 bolt exhaust pattern right. So this kit's turbo exhaust-out has the same 3 bolt pattern and position to allow direct bolt-up of the stock exhaust, starting with the #1 cat, or standard TT/BPU down pipe?

If correct, that is great news for me, I started a thread with this question last week, and nobody responding knew the answer. Next makes me wonder if this OEM bolt-match is common or uncommon on other single log mani kits?

Brian
i have the same kit.. it bolts right up to the stock downpipe or a RMM downpipe. Im using my BPU RMM downpipe with my kit

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
^He is right. They fab the downpipe on their mock up car and it uses the 3 bolt style. Im not kidding when I say everything bolted right up. The most painful part was cutting my stock twins exhaust flange because I stripped a nut :] This kit, in my opinion, is hands down the way to go when getting rid of the twins, but you arent looking for crazy numbers. With the right fuel this setup can do 700 easy. But, when going from the twins to this, with everything else stock, youll have a good reliable gain in power without going through the hassle of getting anything fabricated.

Stifun, ill give you my honest feedback on the kit. Bryan already knows of any issues I have had and laughs at me sometimes for them, since it was my first time jumping in on something like this. Also send me a PM, you might be local to me here in Texas and I dont mind coming out to assist if you want a hand.

The kit overall is awesome. The spool comes on quick. In the 2-3k rpm range you'll have that v8 torque feel. Of course, it wont be like, 400 ft/lbs, but the transition will feel like the twins running in sequential IMO. When I was running wastegate pressure (16 psi) on my first cal on an AEM v2, I hit full boost at 3500 rpm. I run a little more aggressive timing now, so i'm going to get a dyno to see how far I can push these 550s. Trying to maintain an 11.7 afr at wot while breaking 500 reliably (I did manage 540, but that was at 19 degrees of timing and I saw my afr's jump up to 12.2 and thats to risky in my book.)

I've only had two issues, which were both caused by me but I dont mind sharing so you know what to double check on the install.

One was I didnt tighten the oil drain NPT fitting enough to the turbo. So, under high boost I would see a little leaking on the threads.
Two was I guess I didnt tighten down the front allen bolt that holds the wastegate flange to the manifold. After 1k miles, it backed out giving me a terrible exhaust leak. (sounds like your turbo is about to give too, because the exhaust going through the gasket sounds like SHIT)

Other than that, I dont know many others who have this kit, and I daily drive my car. The R&D was done, but I can report the long term usage as time goes on (I dont know what PHR did, but if 50k miles later I have no issues still then this kit is a blessing haha.)

This is by far the best kit on the market in my opinion, for three reasons.

One is the bolt up downpipe.
Two is the drop down intercooler pipe that will bolt up to a greddy 3 row style intercooler.
Three is the porting on the manifold is great. Im sure many of you know the precision turbos with the 66 turbine will surge a lot when the manifold isnt ported correctly. I ran the 14.5 tial spring combo and my peak at 7500 rpm is 16.1 psi (according to logs)

I cant compare to the other kits on the market so my opinion is biased, and I do not mean to flame any other shop on this board by no means.

Feel free to ask any questions about this kit, as I know sometimes PHR can be very busy at times and i'm more than happy to give an experienced answer with what i've done with this so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No problems to ran this kit with the stock ECU and stock fuel system??

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dont see why there would be. I think the intention and market for this kit is for that purpose in the first stages.

Hellraiser does it (he uses a tubular manifold, but other than that its essentially the same) PM him, he could probably shed more light on the stock ecu subject.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dont see why there would be. I think the intention and market for this kit is for that purpose in the first stages.

Hellraiser does it (he uses a tubular manifold, but other than that its essentially the same) PM him, he could probably shed more light on the stock ecu subject.
Ok, thanks for the reply! ;)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Its fine on the stock ecu. Just make sure you set up some sort of boost control because the stock ecu, with a fuel cut defender, will keep boosting and won't fuel cut on over boost

Also, since I took my car into PHR Bryan informed me to use Loctite 545 on the oil drain fitting.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
I have a similar set up, and I'm on stock ECU with a HKS VPC/GCC (soon to be on SAFC) I'm only on 14psi (wastegate spring) have to take it in for tuning soon. going to do 16-18psi. No issues at all running a piggy back, but i wouldn't mind going standalone once funds are bigger...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bumping this to keep it up for any questions needed to be answered.

I just want to add after talking with PHR, make sure to use Loctite 545 on the oil drain fitting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great write up!
I'm interested in this turbo kit. We'll see if I go single before next summer

·
2JZ
834 Posts
Hey guys I am about to install my kit as well, just want to clarify please: The PHR kit will work with a stock ECU (my car is JDM but I have the USDM TT fuel pump which flows more and SARD 650cc drop in injectors) and a SAFC neo piggy back fuel controller. I have a Blitz DSBC as well to control boost.

·
2JZ
834 Posts
Finished installing my kit waiting for the tune. Perfect fitment with everything needed to get the install done in one go. The manifold fitted beautifully and lines routed fine for RHD. Thank you very much Power House Racing, heres hoping the tune puts out some good power.

21 - 40 of 228 Posts