Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 Supra Turbo, bought it a couple months back, with a few problems, one of which is a leaking rack and pinion.

The right seal of the rack as well as the boot has been broken, and I'm leaking a lot of power steering fluid.

It's getting to the point where I have to replace it every day or two. I don't think any Lucas products will seal it, as it is a pretty bad leak.

What are my options to fix/replace it? My local Toyota dealers (Dallas) are asking an insane amount of money ($1000+). Should I just find a used rack and hope that nothing goes wrong... or is there a place that sells aftermarket racks for hopefully less than $1000?

I know I could get a used rack for maybe less than a hundred dollars, but I don't think I'll have the same sense of security that I will with a new unit.

Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
$1000?! sheesh thats insane. You can get a manual transmission conversion INSTALLED for that much. I'd try calling around your local shops and seeing if anyone rebuilds them or sells remanufactured units. That should be much less

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ma71 and 87supra, thanks for your help.

ma71, I think I will probably go with the new rack for $220, as I don't want to mess around with just replacing my seals or rebuilding my whole rack. Thank you very much.

G

·
A peaice of advice, DO IT YOURSELF :)
and, replace the whole rack.

I did it, I have the same issue. Yes it wa a pain in the ass but it's not tooo complicated. I bought my rack for 105 at kragen, you could prolly do the same. If you have any questions just ask andi can guide you through it.

BTW you should buya pressure line and replace it at the same time it's a great time to do it ...

G

·
Try this first. It's been over a year and has been perfect:

< copy/paste >

I was losing about half a liter of power steering fluid over night (a big puddle)!

It was leaking from the rack and pinion slider bushings (where the dust boots for the inner tie-rods are).

I used a product called "no leak power steering sealer" from Goldeagle company (www.goldeagle.com), that I bought at a local car parts store (Canadian tire).

Within 3-4 days she was totally fixed!!

Not a drop has leaked since, as I park my car inside, and would see it.

Deffinately give that a try. Oh yeah, my PS has 454 thousand kilometers on it

·
Registered
945 Posts
Toyota also did sell a PS rack rebuild kit back in the day...might still be available for the more adventureous

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,086 Posts
I rebuilt mine for $40.00 with Toyota Parts, but it is alot more work than the average enthusiast would want to tackle. They are not all that hard to change. The biggest bitch will be removing the tie-rod ends and the steering coupling. NAPA has awesome rebuilds, but they are a little more, $331.00. I would go with this before one out of a junkyard. Look on the net for steering parts, you can probably find a cheaper one, just not sure about the quality of the rebuild.
http://www.napaonline.com/images_products/full_sized/92609.jpg

G

·
while we are on this subject... ive heard that its possible to use a mustang one? for guys who want to take the ps out... i think trey has this... any details... my ps needs to go...

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Woooossshhh said:
while we are on this subject... ive heard that its possible to use a mustang one? for guys who want to take the ps out... i think trey has this... any details... my ps needs to go...
see the thread in tech section thats dealing with this now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts