Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
BW 9179/RB26 300ZX
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Been lurking on the forums for quite some time now, always a fan of the MK4 , and an even bigger fan of any inline 6 forced induction motor :)

I got power hungry after last year and making 540rwhp and running [email protected] on my old VG 3.0L Setup in the Z. It had a built motor, bigger turbos, 850 injectors, etc,e tc and ran pretty good for a full street-trim car.

About early January I decided I wanted to swap the RB motor into my Z, so I got right to work, stock piling parts upon parts. A bulk of the time was spent fabbing motor mounts (i had to drive an hour each way to the shop I was making them at) I have been involved in every single aspect of this build from the motor mounts to the radiator, to the exhaust, to the full 8pt roll cage it now has....

Here's a semi-complete picture of the engine bay, its a bit dirty, albeit functional :)

I got it running on the AEM EMS just a few days ago, here's a short clip

Right-Click Save-As

http://www.booztd3.com/Videos/RBZ32_1.wmv

My current mod list is as follows:

R32 RB26
Pauter Rods (Not installed yet)
CP Pistons (Not installed yet)
N1 Water Pump (Not installed yet)
N1 Oil Pump (Not installed yet)
ACL Race Bearings (Not installed yet)
Tomei 5-Layer 1.2mm Headgasket
ARP Headstuds
Tomei Type-A Pon-Cams (I believe 9.5mm lift)
Greddy Cam Gears
Tomei 5-Layer Intake/Exhauast Gaskets
Full-Race Twin-Scroll Manifold
Garrett GT4202-74mm
(2) Tial 44mm Wastegates
Tial 50mm BOV
Custom 3" Aluminum IC Piping
XS Power 24x12x4 FMIC
Custom Radiator (I have pics!)
Custom 4" V-band SS Exhaust
Custom 4" V-band SS Test Pipe
Z32 Greddy SP Dual-Exhaust Cat-Back (for that stealth look!)
OS Giken Triple Plate Clutch
Hybrid RB26/Z32 Transmission
1-piece driveshaft
Richmond 4.10 Rear End Gear
AEM EMS

·
mises.org
711 Posts
Welcome to the forum and goodluck on your project, looks killer. We have a member who has a drag RB26 Z32 project going on, here is the thread.

edit: Dude, I noticed you left the car running in a confined space, we'll just be careful as toxins spew out of that monster :).

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Nice swap! :)

Holy crap, Richmond makes a ring & pinion set for a Z32 diff? :scratch:

·
BW 9179/RB26 300ZX
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum and goodluck on your project, looks killer. We have a member who has a drag RB26 Z32 project going on, here is the thread.

edit: Dude, I noticed you left the car running in a confined space, we'll just be careful as toxins spew out of that monster :).

Haha, im friends with joel, but hes a LOGN way's off from getting it running....

Regarding the car running, my garage is vented. I'm not sure if you can see my gas heater in the background, but that requires a vent too!

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Cool.

Did you use the RB25 oil pan and fit it over the 300zx steering rack too?

And how did you make the motor mounts? Any pics of those?

-Jonathan

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
That is a pretty nice swap. What is the weight difference between the RB and the VG? Will the swap throw off the handling balance or make it better?

Oh, I assume this is to be a street car, is this right?

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
Sweet Jesus! NICE. Better get that N1 oil pump on there though before you into the habit of putting miles on it! Did you have any problems with the 25 oil pan fitting?

·
BW 9179/RB26 300ZX
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a pretty nice swap. What is the weight difference between the RB and the VG? Will the swap throw off the handling balance or make it better?

The RB weighs a few hundred pounds lighter after you get rid of all that TT bullshit.....

Should make it accellerate faster, thats all I'm really concerned about at this point ;)

·
BW 9179/RB26 300ZX
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet Jesus! NICE. Better get that N1 oil pump on there though before you into the habit of putting miles on it! Did you have any problems with the 25 oil pan fitting?
I'm not too concerned with the oil pump. I'm certainly not getting an expensive ass JUN or Tomei oil pump. Those are really only designed for sustained high rpm applications, and at the drag strip, the car sees high rpm for split seconds. On top of that the flow is so much greater than stock alot of guys have huge issues getting oil back down to the sump, and ruin bearings :(

·
BW 9179/RB26 300ZX
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool.

Did you use the RB25 oil pan and fit it over the 300zx steering rack too?

And how did you make the motor mounts? Any pics of those?

-Jonathan
Yes, the RB25 oil pan bolts up with a little modification. I removed the baffles from the rb26 (they bolt to the girlde) and am using the baffles built into the rb25 pan. The crossmember has to be notched slightly to clear the pan however. I made the motor mounts with the help of my bro as the welder, but I dont have any pictures of them really

·
BW 9179/RB26 300ZX
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

For the most part. The car has a full 8pt roll cage, but I installed swing-outs and it has full interior as well. It does not have AC at the moment, but it will have power steering

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
The RB weighs a few hundred pounds lighter after you get rid of all that TT bullshit.....

Should make it accellerate faster, thats all I'm really concerned about at this point ;)
That's pretty good. It would actually give me enough of a reason to do the swap if I had a Z32. How much does the swap cost?

·
BW 9179/RB26 300ZX
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unsure what someone could *get away with* a swap for. I'm sure a stock one could be done for much less, but I'd imagine I've spent probably close to 15k so far on everything, but i've got parts for a fully built RB with an EMS, top of the line manifold, big turbo, etc (stuff that you could find much cheaper alternatives for)

·
2JZ S13
2,212 Posts
Thats pretty bad ass! Even more so that your somewhat local to me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts