Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is Trev's old car with the 1jz.

My question is what wheels are you guys using with your autox tires? This car handles very nicely, but I cannot put any power down coming out of the corners. I need some race tires. I am considering getting another set of mkiv wheels for race tires, but I'm also looking at FD wheels.

Tyler

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
realize autox tires can affect your class....then again, w/your engine swap you're automatically in SM or E prepared (i think?). i use kumho victoracers, they work great....

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
I'm with Drjonez on that one. In those classes you will need the Victo's to be some what competitive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drjonez said:
just make sure they're WIDE....
Hrm, so it might be beneficial to go for the bigger mkiv wheels over the FD wheels then huh? Although the FD wheels would give me a chance to swap tires front to back.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Goodbar6 said:
Hrm, so it might be beneficial to go for the bigger mkiv wheels over the FD wheels then huh? Although the FD wheels would give me a chance to swap tires front to back.
it isn't so much dia as it is width....

supraguru05 said:
dont skip on tires or wheels you need at least 9 in wide wheels with at least 245 race tires to keep with the crowd
245s? heh. i'd go 255+....

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
drjonez said:
245s? heh. i'd go 255+....

yea i woudl to but i was just saying. when i get my final wheel set for racing they will be a staggered set with 17X9 in the front and 17X10 in the back i know some havent had luck with a staggered set up but im going to try anyway

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
u seriously need some wide wheels for sure! keep us updated with more pics when u get sum tires :) nice car btw

3,796 Posts
275s all around would be the best if you are serious about racing.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
Silver88Turbo said:
275s all around would be the best if you are serious about racing.
yes, the staggerd would give you understeer (which KILLS you in autox) i would suggest a harder (adjustable if your really serious) rear bar to stiffen that up and help make some oversteer

for tires, try to go for as small as you can and wide as you can that will still fit the brakes, for the shorter gearing, lower height (screw looks) and center of gravity will help more than anything

oh, and slicks are nice, very nice

<l><l>

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
snake eyes said:
yes, the staggerd would give you understeer (which KILLS you in autox) i would suggest a harder (adjustable if your really serious) rear bar to stiffen that up and help make some oversteer

for tires, try to go for as small as you can and wide as you can that will still fit the brakes, for the shorter gearing, lower height (screw looks) and center of gravity will help more than anything

oh, and slicks are nice, very nice

<l><l>
I was thinking the same thing, and maybe it will apply more to slicks; but the staggered sizes I have on there now (245 front 275 rear) did not push at all. Granted this was my first autox with something this big and powerful, so I probably wasnt pushing the car all that hard yet.

I might just make my beater SER the autox car and make the supra a nice cruiser/ straight line vehicle. *shrug* well see.

Thanks for the comments fellas/lady!

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
If u get rx7 rims, u will be limited mainly to nitto nt-01 radials and 255 width max, due to the 16 inch rim. Or you could get some slightly better compounded street tires, but those won't hold, and I doubt u want/can run some slicks.

Stick to the mk4 rims, u have better selection. They're no chrome dubs, so they'll be just fine for autox.

Dont really know much about the tire classing for autox.. :\ , pick a good compound and don't forget that sidewall matters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts