Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck on what to do.. Should i swap the whole 7m-ge out and put in a 7m-gte motor? OR should i just put turbo on my 7m-ge, swap trannys, wire harness, ecu, etc. What do you think? I know my 7m-ge is still running like a champ and just has 130-140 miles on it.

I'd like to know some pro and cons. What am i risking as far as bhg and all them road blocks go.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Your easiest and quickest and best route is getting a turbo car as a whole.
If you add up your cost for a 7mgte motor, parts to make it a bit more solid, a 5 speed tranny, ecu,harness will all add up to be more than just picking up a 5speed turbo car.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Mod the 7MGE. Unless a good running turbo car falls in your lap, in which case you will have two good running cars !!!

Mo has a good point in picking up a turbo car since you will get all the stuff to swap it out with. The only problem is that you risk getting a sick engine (for a reasonable price parts or donor car) and you will be doing a rebuild which I'm not sure you want to tackle since you already have a good engine. You can get a R154 tranny for $300-350, ECU and harness for $150-200 and the miscellaneous parts for $300-400 (stock turbo, manifold(s), hoses, intercooler, etc...). Buy the parts locally since many are heavy and shipping will kill your budget.

The only difference between the two engines (7MGE and 7MGTE) are the camshafts (most people reccommend keeping the N/A cams) and the turbo engines have dual knock sensors and piston oil squirters. Oh, and the piston tops are slightly different.

I would pull the engine/tranny and swap it over !!!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
another big Difference in the 7mge and 7mgte motors is that the NA is high compression and the turbo is low compression and you can run more boost on the turbo one.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Keep it n/a unless you want to throw a shitload of cash into a bottomless pit called 7mgte / na-t. I've swapped mine for a turbo engine which i had to rebuild. But then the problems started to arise, turbo shot, what turbo, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger pump, piggyback computer, turbotimer, lexus afm, wideband and the list goes on and on.

I'm 2 years into this and guess what... i still haven't got half the parts i need to get it running... at all. So far i spend a shitload on it, 1.5k on the rebuild, 2k on turbo, injectors and turbotimer (+shipping to the netherlands ;) ) and i'm looking at another 1-1.5k just for the piggyback, wideband and fuelsupply.

Trust me, if i had thought about it twice 2 years back.... i would've rebuild my n/a.... for the 4th time. (1st hole in block, 2nd rodknock, 3rd rodknock, 4th pistonslap - all in 30k km ;) ). But then again i'm glad that in, let's stay optimistic, half a year i get to beat my neighbors porsche (boxster S) right back into yesterday (i hope :D)

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I would run the NA motor with ALL the turbo electronics and engine mangement.

Dean Marcum out in SoCal has done this for a a few year IIRC. Runs pretty well.

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i made up my mind.. if everything works out with suprastanger. i will be boosting soon!

yah.. there will be problems, yah i could just buy a new turbo'd supra but why. i love this damn supra.

if i get the motor, i will see you very soon chris! :naughty:

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Yeah either give me a call or I can go stop by and see ur dad and have him follow me home. I'm at the most 5 minutes...away from him > I will be home by 4-15 -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts